• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why Doesn`t the Anime use Graveyards?

Red and Blue

So as far as I know none of the Pokémon graveyards from the games(Pokémon Tower, Mt. Pyre, Lost Tower, etc..) ever made an appearance in the anime. Anyone else find it odd, especially since the anime has made references to death before?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Pokemon Tower was in shown in Kanto, that's where Ash met up with the Ghost Pokemon for his battle with Sebrena. Also, the Celestial Tower as used in Unova. There was a race to get to the top and ring the bell.

Red and Blue

Pokemon Tower was in shown in Kanto, that's where Ash met up with the Ghost Pokemon for his battle with Sebrena. Also, the Celestial Tower as used in Unova. There was a race to get to the top and ring the bell.

Those two locations weren't portrayed as graveyards for deceased Pokemon though.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Because the Pocket Monsters anime is the most death free anime ever. Duh!

And before anyone says anything, let's please not start a debate/argument about Hunter J & her group, maybe Cyrus, the little references to death in XY, and bigger ones in Kanto. Some references to death here and there don't make up for how it's NEVER shown or talked about the rest of the time.

Oh, and don't bring up Origins either since that was an alternate universe special.

The producers just simply DO NOT want to go there, and that's all there is to it.

The Rules were set in place long ago...

Last edited:

Red and Blue

I just don't understand how the anime wasn't afraid to have Pikachu and Ash temporarily die yet won't show the resting place for deceased Pokemon.

It's disappointing since I thought the Cubone/Mahorwak plot from the games would have been a great and moving episode in OS

Bananarama

The light is coming
Who wants graveyards to be portrayed in the anime? The Pokémon anime world is overall a world of positivity, so death isn't really a major theme explored in it. I'm sure the majority of Pokémon's main demographic either doesn't want them to be used or doesn't care if graveyards are used in the anime.

Janovy

Banned
It is kinda strange, especially they use the word death and have no problems using human graveyards in XY.

Red and Blue

Who wants graveyards to be portrayed in the anime? The Pokémon anime world is overall a world of positivity, so death isn't really a major theme explored in it. I'm sure the majority of Pokémon's main demographic either doesn't want them to be used or doesn't care if graveyards are used in the anime.

It isn't always positive though. There are plenty of negative aspects in the Pokeworld such as stealing and abusive trainers. I feel like including the graveyards from the games would allow the anime to address the mortality of Pokemon and allow for some serious and through provoking episodes. Plus as Janovy pointed out having Pokemon graveyards wouldn't be any different from the human one in XY

But that's just me

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

While I mostly agree, I kind of wish we could've seen places like Mt Pyre at least so we could've gotten spooky ghost shenanigans there. :D

NettFox

There is OS episode Ghost of Maiden's Peak where the candles were used to guide spirits to the afterlife. Then again I forget what the original called it.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
There is OS episode Ghost of Maiden's Peak where the candles were used to guide spirits to the afterlife. Then again I forget what the original called it.

That was the real life Bon festival, the dub just kinda clumsily tried writing around that fact and pretended it was some made-up Pokemon world tradition.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

While that was a cool episode, it didn't show an actual graveyard which seemed like a missed opportunity to me. Same with the Tower of Terror episode. ^^

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Maybe because graveyards seemed to be out of focus in the locations the episodes were set in like a competition to ring the bell up the Celestial Tower in BW.

JudySpell

Banned

That's the closest we'll get I suppose. I wish we had more scary episodes like that that reference supernatural stuff and keep Japanese themes intact.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
No one ever said graveyard must be used for serious issues and portrayal of so-called "dark themes". It can also be featured for comedic purpose. Within the Japanese anime, the most popular example will be the Test of Courage (肝試し: Kimodameshi. If you don't know what it is, go Google it, and specifically together with another keyword "anime").

BTW, that is also a way where a bunch of shenanigans Ghost pokemon can enjoy themselves in light-hearted party attitude.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
BTW, that is also a way where a bunch of shenanigans Ghost pokemon can enjoy themselves in light-hearted party attitude.

While true, I've seen enough light-hearted ghost pokemon episodes honestly and I'd like more creepy ones like BW's Litwick episode which at least had malicious ghost types. ^^