• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why doesn't Ash mention that he wants to complete the island trials?

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I didn't criticize anyone for spelling and I do not even know where you saw me doing that, but English isn't my first language so don't expect me to speak like a pro because that's not how it works. Instead of laughing, you could for example help me and politely correct me because just laughing and accusing me of criticizing someone is quite stupid to do.

I disagree. In fact, most fillers in SM are very interesting and often add more depth to the character's backstories. XY also had some good fillers as well. And SM has a different notion when it comes to fillers. For example, an episode where the Ultra Guardians catch a UB, in the pattern of other seasons would be taken as a filler by not having a new capture or team change. But in SM they aren't considered fillers, because they are somehow relevant to the plot and connected to the Aether and Necrozma's Arcs.

"SM is meant to be taken as a jobber/vacation season of anime." That's...exactly what I said. Also, Criticizing SM for having "pointless fillers" isn't very smart, considering that the fillers aren't supposed to have a point in the first place.

That and most of SM's "Fillers" get some continuity later on in the series. For example, next episode has Sophocles and Charjabug having to deal with the same trainer with the shiny Charjabug. (I never watched that episode, but I know the plot of next weeks episode comes from that one.) We all know from the preview that Sophy's Charjabug is going to evolve.

Character of the Week... stops being those when they come back into the plot. That makes its an odd gem considering in past series, the COTW shows up to cause problems for Ash and friends.... then get forgotten about once it is over. (Not just looking at XY... all of them are guilty of that!)

The last two episodes, despite not really doing a whole lot plot wise, is building up to something and we should consider that.

I didn't criticize anyone for spelling and I do not even know where you saw me doing that, but English isn't my first language so don't expect me to speak like a pro because that's not how it works. Instead of laughing, you could for example help me and politely correct me because just laughing and accusing me of criticizing someone is quite stupid to do.

I disagree. In fact, most fillers in SM are very interesting and often add more depth to the character's backstories. XY also had some good fillers as well. And SM has a different notion when it comes to fillers. For example, an episode where the Ultra Guardians catch a UB, in the pattern of other seasons would be taken as a filler by not having a new capture or team change. But in SM they aren't considered fillers, because they are somehow relevant to the plot and connected to the Aether and Necrozma's Arcs.

"SM is meant to be taken as a jobber/vacation season of anime." That's...exactly what I said. Also, Criticizing SM for having "pointless fillers" isn't very smart, considering that the fillers aren't supposed to have a point in the first place.

This is what you said to the other guy:

> Sorry if I "can't taje criticism" either.

If that isn't what I thought it was, my bad. It's hard to judge the tone of someone through a computer. So I'm sorry about that.

You can flesh a character out and add depth to them all you want, but they're just that. A character who is a lot of stuff, but doesn't really do anything. And really, after the 60th filler episode, I think we'd know enough about a character. Plus just the SM characters doing random crap trope in the fillers gets a bit exhausting and like I said, there's only so much random character traits you can showcase.

Fillers can be necessary as well for character development and as you said before, fleshing characters out, but a lot of SM fillers are just cast hijinks and them doing crap.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Except he does? The moment he's on Poni Island he immediately announces he wants to do the Grand Trial. The moment he meets Gladion and sees how strong he is he immediately wants to battle him and starts pressuring him into it. Same with Hapu. Almost immediately after meeting Olivia he announces he wants to do the Grand Trial.
Well, when I meet the mayor of my town, of course I'd want to shake their hand.

But I'm not thinking about shaking their hand 24/7 when they're not around me, because I'm not into that.

Now, if I was an excitable 1o-year old looking to complete tests clearly at my reach...I'd honestly go try tackling them all down ASAP, because I'm a shonen idiot who believes in the power of friendship for my team.

But what do I know? I'd rather mess around giving my apparently unique orange dog a bath and lose time at school learning stuff I normally learn through adventuring.

Oops. Sorry for dabbling too long. Here, have some pancakes. Local Mememele Island delicacy.
Perfect-Pancakes-4-e1520987577263.jpg

What's a Grand Trial, by the way?
url

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

But I'm not thinking about shaking their hand 24/7 when they're not around me, because I'm not into that.

Now, if I was an excitable 1o-year old looking to complete tests clearly at my reach...I'd honestly go try tackling them all down ASAP, because I'm a shonen idiot who believes in the power of friendship for my team.

But what do I know? I'd rather mess around giving my apparently unique orange dog a bath and lose time at school learning stuff I normally learn through adventuring.

Oops. Sorry for dabbling too long. Here, have some pancakes. Local Mememele Island delicacy.

url
your second img link is broken

also, @Power Up I'm not sure if jobber is the word you're looking for (it's kinda annoying having it be missused so much, which also I see a lot in dragon ball-related stuff)

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian

Read my post after the one you quoted. The gist of it is, if he'd do all trials asap SM would be over in 15 episodes because Alola is small and they can get everywhere in a matter of hours with boats and air ride pokemon. They have three years to fill. They can either slow him down by restricting his access to these travel methods and have him walk or swim for several episodes (past seasons usually slowed them down by them getting lost for the hundredth time), or they can fill it up with other things he also likes to do and expand and diversify what pokemon is. Expand pokemon beyond mere assets or tools of war into companions. In Sun and Moon pokemon are more companions and less assets than ever before, and it's a dynamic I like.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8

url
Best post in all the 10 years I have been here

Agustin Gomez

TheShiningBald
I see people fighting over this all the time, so sot's clear it a bit.

XY/XY&Z was a series that pretty much followed the same paradigm as the other previous series, series that over the years garnered an important fanbase that expected the same battle-oriented storylines.
Sun and Moon was from the very first moment a series made to attract more children with it's cartoonish looks and all around lighter atmosphere because in Japan (the market they care for as we don't pay to watch) it was more rentable. They said it from the moment the artwork was revealed, the series would change it's overall course for better or worse.

Personally i like them both because i appreciate different aspects of them.

Now onto the subject of the post, i think that in the series, Ash doesn't rush things because there is no timelimit so to speak. I mean, in previous series there was always looming over everyone the fear of missing the league due to taking too long in getting the badges. Here there's no such rush. He has all the time in the world. That's because the Island Challenge will probably no be a requirement to enter the league. Also there's no league to his knowledge. Yes, he knows Kukui intends to start one.

He doesn't know when. That's the point everyone's missing.
So this is a relaxed challenge for Ash. He does it to better himself and help his Pokemon get stronger.
I bet Kukui is building the stadium while the crew is in poni island.
So after the Poni island arc he'll learn of it and start taking it a bit more seriously.

Epicocity

I see people fighting over this all the time, so sot's clear it a bit.

XY/XY&Z was a series that pretty much followed the same paradigm as the other previous series, series that over the years garnered an important fanbase that expected the same battle-oriented storylines.
Sun and Moon was from the very first moment a series made to attract more children with it's cartoonish looks and all around lighter atmosphere because in Japan (the market they care for as we don't pay to watch) it was more rentable. They said it from the moment the artwork was revealed, the series would change it's overall course for better or worse.

Personally i like them both because i appreciate different aspects of them.

Now onto the subject of the post, i think that in the series, Ash doesn't rush things because there is no timelimit so to speak. I mean, in previous series there was always looming over everyone the fear of missing the league due to taking too long in getting the badges. Here there's no such rush. He has all the time in the world. That's because the Island Challenge will probably no be a requirement to enter the league. Also there's no league to his knowledge. Yes, he knows Kukui intends to start one.

He doesn't know when. That's the point everyone's missing.
So this is a relaxed challenge for Ash. He does it to better himself and help his Pokemon get stronger.
I bet Kukui is building the stadium while the crew is in poni island.
So after the Poni island arc he'll learn of it and start taking it a bit more seriously.
Ash never knows when the League is. In fact, they're never even announced until after he has the 8th badge, so that's semantics you're using at best.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Read my post after the one you quoted. The gist of it is, if he'd do all trials asap SM would be over in 15 episodes because Alola is small and they can get everywhere in a matter of hours with boats and air ride pokemon. They have three years to fill. They can either slow him down by restricting his access to these travel methods and have him walk or swim for several episodes (past seasons usually slowed them down by them getting lost for the hundredth time), or they can fill it up with other things he also likes to do and expand and diversify what pokemon is. Expand pokemon beyond mere assets or tools of war into companions. In Sun and Moon pokemon are more companions and less assets than ever before, and it's a dynamic I like.
That's the problem.

For once, the writers shrunk the region down. Which of course made things a bit more geographically realistic, thus costing Ash his dormant need to adventure...even though he could still have that need and venture out. He'd just meet new people suddenly appearing in the same places...somewhere else other than freaking Melemele Island. Even the damn island Pokemon from other islands migrate there too often, thus reducing any need to venture out more.

For once, I can safely say the damn universe revolves around Ash.

Agstrek

Ash never knows when the League is. In fact, they're never even announced until after he has the 8th badge, so that's semantics you're using at best.

Ash may not know when the leauge is, but he knows for certain that to qualify for the leauge, he needs to have 8 badges and if the leauge started before he has 8 badges he'll be disqualified. SM doesn't have anything like that, there isn't even a leauge yet. The island challenges are simply to test your skills and to become stronger and there is no time limit either. That is why Ash isn't in any rush

Jeal

Ash may not know when the leauge is, but he knows for certain that to qualify for the leauge, he needs to have 8 badges and if the leauge started before he has 8 badges he'll be disqualified. SM doesn't have anything like that, there isn't even a leauge yet. The island challenges are simply to test your skills and to become stronger and there is no time limit either. That is why Ash isn't in any rush
Battle Frontier had no time limit too. SM Ash is simply out of character.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Ash already knew everything about Kanto and had been travelling with May, Brock and Max for sometime. In Sun and Moon he’s enjoying the new environment and exploring while attending school with his new classmates.

Jeal

Ash already knew everything about Kanto and had been travelling with May, Brock and Max for sometime. In Sun and Moon he’s enjoying the new environment and exploring while attending school with his new classmates.
What? Your argument makes no sense. This is just one more reason for him to complete the trials.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
It's character development. Ash has grown a bit as a character beyond the selfish douche who only cared about his own pokemon battles. In AG he often didn't even watch May's contests as he cared more about the training of his pokemon. In SM he likes more things, has expanded his interests, and actually wants to help his friends out from time to time. That's not out of character, it's growth.

Jeal

It's character development. Ash has grown a bit as a character beyond the selfish douche who only cared about his own pokemon battles. In AG he often didn't even watch May's contests as he cared more about the training of his pokemon. In SM he likes more things, has expanded his interests, and actually wants to help his friends out from time to time. That's not out of character, it's growth.
It's out of character. Ash would not stay in the same place for so many episodes knowing about the kahunas. No way.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
What? Your argument makes no sense. This is just one more reason for him to complete the trials.
He knows Kanto so there’s no magic in him returning. He has nothing to explore because been there done that. Alola is a region he’s never been too so of course he’s gonna relax more and enjoy the scenery while doing everything it has to offer. He isn’t just there for trials.

Agstrek

It's out of character. Ash would not stay in the same place for so many episodes knowing about the kahunas. No way.

For SM Ash, life is much more than pokemon battles. Ash joined the pokemon school because he liked the idea of learning together with pokemon in a school where extracurricular activities are the norm.

The school restricts his mobility and he doesn't complain because he is able to live in a different situations and enjoys his life going to school, hanging out with his friends and participates in the exciting adventures / events that happen around the surroundings of the melemele island.

Ash still loves to challenge the trials and he did with the same amount of passion, but that's not the only thing that's on his mind, he has other interests as well.

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
For SM Ash, life is much more than pokemon battles. The pokemon school that Ash himself joined because he liked the idea of learning together with pokemon in a school where extracurricular activities are the norm.

The school restricts his mobility and he doesn't complain because he is able to live in a different situations and enjoys his life going to school, hanging out with his friends and participates in the exciting adventures / events that happen around the surroundings of the melemele island.

Ash still loves to challenge the trials and he did with the same amount of passion, but that's not the only thing that's on his mind, he has other interests as well.

That and Alola is way too small of a place to sic filler towns/ filler places at, meaning if he does just do the trials... we would have a shorter series. (It already struggles with its big cast of main characters.) This gives the series an excuse to experiment with such a setting and make the most of it. It is strange how even some of the fillerish episodes stop becoming that later in this series... if the coming episode was any indicators.