• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why doesn't J, J, and M quit Team Rocket?

Red and Blue

The only thing that I think would push them to seriously reform is if Giovanni fires them permanently. Which I don't think would happen unless they decide to retire Ash

Leonhart

Imagineer
If they did leave, I feel Giovanni would send some goons to beat the living crap out of them. James, Jessie, and Meowth fear they would all die in a gruesome way if they left.
I don't think that Sakaki would send assassins after them if they decided to leave the organization considering that he doesn't think too highly of them, and he probably wouldn't even mind if they did leave given how incompetent they've been overall. I figure that their antics have cost Sakaki more money than they've actually reeled in.

Mew29240

I don't think that Sakaki would send assassins after them if they decided to leave the organization considering that he doesn't think too highly of them, and he probably wouldn't even mind if they did leave given how incompetent they've been overall. I figure that their antics have cost Sakaki more money than they've actually reeled in.
True, but if we consider Journeys, TRio now has a large quantity of Team Rocket-trained Pokemon through the Gacha machine. If they were to abandon Giovanni now and take those Pokemon with them at this point, then he's got a big incentive in tracking them down.

On another note, the Gacha Pokemon makes me think he's got some faith in them now, even if it's through a game of chance. It's certainly a step up from earlier seasons where they had to scrounge up Pokemon by themselves.

DatsRight

True, but if we consider Journeys, TRio now has a large quantity of Team Rocket-trained Pokemon through the Gacha machine. If they were to abandon Giovanni now and take those Pokemon with them at this point, then he's got a big incentive in tracking them down.

On another note, the Gacha Pokemon makes me think he's got some faith in them now, even if it's through a game of chance. It's certainly a step up from earlier seasons where they had to scrounge up Pokemon by themselves.
It seems since Best Wishes that Giovanni is far less contemptuous towards the TRio, either out of obliviousness to their bungling (again by DP he'd forgotten all about them and their horrific track record) or because them saving him during Operation Tempest led him to think better of him.

They've never quite screwed up royal in front of him since BW, always having some half decent cover up or making SOME sort of progress to hand him. They even start getting perks the other elite members like Butch and Cassidy usually got in earlier series (and usually rubbed in the TRio's faces). It's actually kind of amusing and fitting that the TRio actually managed to improve their status by becoming THAT much of an unmemorable failure first.

I admit I do wonder what earned them the Gacha in Journeys. Besides 'capturing' Alola Meowth, they came back from Alola empty handed.

Mew29240

I admit I do wonder what earned them the Gacha in Journeys. Besides 'capturing' Alola Meowth, they came back from Alola empty handed.
Besides my earlier comment about the Gacha Pokemon being valuable to Giovanni, I like to think that the Pokemon in the Gacha are the weaker ones available to Team Rocket members, despite how strong the Pokemon seem by species and the like. Giovanni gave them to TRio as a "reward" in hopes of keeping them away from the more important Pokemon and operations by letting them keep at trying to catch Pikachu.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
It seems since Best Wishes that Giovanni is far less contemptuous towards the TRio, either out of obliviousness to their bungling (again by DP he'd forgotten all about them and their horrific track record) or because them saving him during Operation Tempest led him to think better of him.

They've never quite screwed up royal in front of him since BW, always having some half decent cover up or making SOME sort of progress to hand him. They even start getting perks the other elite members like Butch and Cassidy usually got in earlier series (and usually rubbed in the TRio's faces). It's actually kind of amusing and fitting that the TRio actually managed to improve their status by becoming THAT much of an unmemorable failure first.

I think Giovanni hasn’t sacked them simply because their ineptitude is the perfect cover for him to spy on other evil teams and get them out of the picture easily with TRio stumbling on the rival team’s plans and ruining them by interference. It makes sense as Team Rocket is the only evil team never to be dismantled completely in one way or another. Team Galatic did reach their end goal but Cyrus abandoned them to go to a new dimension and all of the Admins except Charon were promptly arrested and Galatic fell apart with no one to lead them. TRio ended up helping Looker figure out what Galatic was up to. Aqua and Magma were dissolved after TRio inadvertently were attacked by a possessed Pikachu which awakened Groudon and caused the Teams see how devastating Kyogre and Groudon truly were. Plasma were defeated thanks to TRio helping Looker deal with the machine Colress had created. All of these were the result of TRio just walking in on the plan by accident.

Psajdak

I have a feeling that if Giovanni, or any other Team Rocket member actually attacked TRio, or one of them, or fought them for real, TRio would win in the end.
Or at least anyone who hurt them would pay dearly.

Maybe for the sake of plot, but just like how Ash and his friend have some sort of "hero wins in the end" kind of plot armor for being leading characters when defeating TRio, so too TRio are very beloved by fans, especially in Japan, and have plot armor of their own, as long as they don't face main heroes.

Beside that, while I haven't seen nearly all of the episodes of Pokemon, I don't think TRio ever really fought someone they truly hate.

DatsRight

I have a feeling that if Giovanni, or any other Team Rocket member actually attacked TRio, or one of them, or fought them for real, TRio would win in the end.
Or at least anyone who hurt them would pay dearly.

Maybe for the sake of plot, but just like how Ash and his friend have some sort of "hero wins in the end" kind of plot armor for being leading characters when defeating TRio, so too TRio are very beloved by fans, especially in Japan, and have plot armor of their own, as long as they don't face main heroes.

Beside that, while I haven't seen nearly all of the episodes of Pokemon, I don't think TRio ever really fought someone they truly hate.
I mean most cases another TR member like Butch and Cassidy or Matori directly tried to screw the TRio over, the three got the last laugh in the end somehow. I'm not sure about outdoing them in a battle, they usually make a point other TR operatives are stronger, but the TRio tend to be good at squirming their way on top against meaner criminals some way or another.

Generally the only time a nastier character gets away with screwing TR first is when the TRio 'out evil' them or they're a POTD they try to capture, thus the twerps have to defend the 'lesser of two evils' instead. There's an annoying large amount of those, but for obvious reasons, they're pretty much never other TR members.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Stockholm Syndrome

Leonhart

Imagineer
I doubt they'd take the Gachat machine with them even if they did quit, however. Their reason for trying to steal Pokemon has been so that they could hand them over to Sakaki, but if they were to leave the organization then stealing Pokemon likely wouldn't be their priority anymore.

Besides that, I get the feeling that most of the Pokemon that they've gotten via the Gachat machine are typically dreg Pokemon that Sakaki probably doesn't care about too much.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I'd love for their ending in the anime to be them breaking away from TR, helping ash to take down Giovanni and starting their own interests (Jessie being a model, meowth having his restaurant, James being a pokeringer champion or something)

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
They do that, the show is over. Their organization is stupid enough to give them the funds they need to do their job.
The show doesn't have to be over. They could leave, and Ash could continue.

Pinkbloom21

Heh... James, Jessie and Meowth are stubborn, but they are tired to catch pokemon after give up when if Giovanni will tells to fired up.