• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why doesnt Serena get a special episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
You know it's funny that people call the art style ugly when every character other than the OS characters look just fine :rolleyes:
Now that you mentioned. I always wondered how the SM & OS characters would look in XY(Z) artstyle.

And I saw a fanart of Serena in Moon clothes like in SM artstyle. It wasn't that bad.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
If I got paid for the SM art style hate, I'll probably be the richest person in the world
Honestly I'm pretty sure the old art style is never coming back; it already ruined Ash's design by giving him bigger irises in his eyes in BW and XY

DatsRight

Is it bad I prefer most of the SM designs? Only TR look a bit off, and even then they're tolerable.

Something about how damn stiff and crisp realistic the cast became by the end of the BW/XY style era came off as kind of ugly to me.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Btw, is it true that Serena is the only main Pokegirl that hasn't seen Ash cross-dressed as a girl? If so, I wondered how she would react to see him like that.

Slapstick-Olivia

I think it would kinda destroy her view on Ash. For Serena, Ash is her white knight, her hero, a perfect dream boy. Seeing him in a cross-dress would kinda shatter her world.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I think it would kinda destroy her view on Ash. For Serena, Ash is her white knight, her hero, a perfect dream boy. Seeing him in a cross-dress would kinda shatter her world.
Lol who cares; besides he crossdresses in every series except the one series where he was an ooc battle robot and I doubt she'll see him crossdress again anyways.

It's not like she hasn't crossdressed either

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I'm wrote this because I saw a 4-Koma about the 5 past Pokegirls discussing about Ash's crossdressing. Although I can't read Japanese, I don't think Serena was shattered about it. Here's the picture link.
I think we're passed that, TBH. People were complaining about art-style in 2016. Ok, this is 2018, it's all over. Also, art-sytle isn't even that bad. It's still better than Ash's Movie 21 look.
Of course, people would get used with the changes, just like the recent Serebii forum's look. But there's people who dislike the slapstick comedy and the slice of life themes in SM and the artstyle is somehow related to those themes.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I might not like Serena, but this would make me despise her. It takes every fandom vilification of Serena - clingy, dependent, melodramatic, and worst of all shallow - and brings them into canon.

SinnohEevee

Is it bad I prefer most of the SM designs? Only TR look a bit off, and even then they're tolerable.

Something about how damn stiff and crisp realistic the cast became by the end of the BW/XY style era came off as kind of ugly to me.

Don't forget that the Alolan characters were made with the current art style in mind, Ash and the TRio were mnade with the OS art style in mind, which was ver different.

Slapstick-Olivia

I really do not see why people hate the design of S&M so much. I mean, sure it is simpler, but an animator can do really much with this type of design, rather than the complex design in the last animes. The anime was never so fluid like in S&M. In X&Y and Best Wishes fo example the animation was only really fluid in action scenes like the battles. Other than that the characters did not really move that much.But now with a simpler design the characters feel more a live.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I really do not see why people hate the design of S&M so much. I mean, sure it is simpler, but an animator can do really much with this type of design, rather than the complex design in the last animes. The anime was never so fluid like in S&M. In X&Y and Best Wishes fo example the animation was only really fluid in action scenes like the battles. Other than that the characters did not really move that much.But now with a simpler design the characters feel more a live.
The same reason why they don't like the slaptick comedy and they like to relate the artstyle with the series theme. It doesn't matter if the characters from XY looked more static, they just wanted them to look more serious. It's a shame that people don't like SM for the artstyle, but you had to remember everyone had different tastes and you won't expect everyone to like it, no matter how silly some of their reasons can be. C'est la vie.

Leonhart

Imagineer

I just dread how the SM style of animation might make Serena look too slim and peaky if she shows up in SM, although I could probably tolerate that if she comes back with her original XY clothing and hair.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I feel like they really cleaned up on Ash's design in SM. It did look off in the first few episodes but then, as time went by, it started to seem like nothing really changed. The TRio still look a bit off but much better than their first appearances like Ash. But it's an added upgrade for the TRio to show what their persona consist of just by looking at them. Jessie always has this conniving smile plastered on her face (her smile, no matter how it's drawn always looks evil like a witch) complimented by her natural sharp eyes, she breaths a sort of self absorbed yet confident vibe. James and Meowth both seem unsure, "go with the flow" almost childlike in a way when you look at them, especially James who doesn't get much spotlight. It's like in each frame, you can tell their emotion, especially Meowth when he's spooked or feels uncomfortable.

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I just dread how the SM style of animation might make Serena look too slim and peaky if she shows up in SM, although I could probably tolerate that if she comes back with her original XY clothing and hair.
Tbh, even in XY(Z) I liked long hair Serena better, despite being very similar to her game counterpart. I know her new look was meant for her character development but there's some instances where she looked odd imo.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Tbh, even in XY(Z) I liked long hair Serena better, despite being very similar to her game counterpart. I know her new look was meant for her character development but there's some instances where she looked odd imo.
I honestly feel that her redesign was better; her original hair style had the same thing that Iris had that tied the ends of her hair together in the back and felt too much like a copy and paste of that.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I honestly feel that her redesign was better; her original hair style had the same thing that Iris had that tied the ends of her hair together in the back and felt too much like a copy and paste of that.
I see. But I'm not really a fan of those ZigZag lines around her short hair, it feels rough on certain angles. I always thought they could put a little bit more volume even on short hair with smooth curved lines.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Yeah I like Serena's short hair much more too. She looks cuter and I like that shows more of her face rather than hiding with all that hair like a shaggy dog. Her hair is more flowy too and compliments her. She looks beautiful with both long and short hair. :)

DatsRight

I kinda preferred the earlier design, granted that might be due to the fact early XY had slightly looser animation so pre-haircut Serena was slightly more expressive, something that would likely be moot point if she was redesigned into SM style, which is even looser.

I think they could have done a subtle job redesigning her though. Sometimes she almost looks like a separate character from her games counterpart. Ash and TR at least have an excuse of a whole series style change and even then keep a lot of their earlier design quirks.

Last edited:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Definitely preferred her first design. When I first saw her new design I thought it looked awful due to how many colors they were trying to throw on her (blue, pink, red, black and brown) and I just personally thought it never beat the original outfit. Her original outfit was more “stylish” and as someone already pointed out her new hair looked crazy at times

Status
Not open for further replies.