• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why doesnt Serena get a special episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvancedGenGenesect

Because the writers of the anime right now are pathetic. The only reason they made Misty and brock come back was to make up for them not appearing in the movie. What makes anyone think they'll bring serena back right now??

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Because the writers of the anime right now are pathetic. The only reason they made Misty and brock come back was to make up for them not appearing in the movie. What makes anyone think they'll bring serena back right now??
I'm not sure if you understand the premise of this thread or not, but the point is that every other character has gotten a special, even including Iris, Clemont, and Bonnie.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Well not May but hey at least she got one of the best cameos ever.
Ugh sorry I meant an appearance, whether in the main series or a special.

Slapstick-Olivia

I still think that Serena can't really work in a special, because she is not that type of character that interacts with others. I mean, if you look back at X&Y she almost never talked with Clemont and only rarely with Bonnie. Also she had no real conflicts with Team Rocket or other any other side characters. The only characters worthy mentioning are Ash, her mother and Shauna. And her mother and Shauna rarely showed up in the series.

If Serena would come back, it kinda has to be a special with her and Ash, because Ash is the person that she interacted the most. I can't see her been in a special with out him. I can't see how any writer can work with such a restricted character like her.

Xuxuba

I still think that Serena can't really work in a special, because she is not that type of character that interacts with others. I mean, if you look back at X&Y she almost never talked with Clemont and only rarely with Bonnie.

Uhh.. what? She was basically her big sister in the series.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Image 9

Image 10

And these were just the ones i could find on a 30 seconds research.

I do agree that she didn't interact with Clemont at all, but that makes sense, since they never had all that much in common to begin with, despite traveling together. They were on good terms and that is all we need to know.

Regarding her interactions with side characters, i think you are judging them based merely on quantity and not quality. Yes, characters like Miette, Grace, Shauna and even Mairin didn't appear every single episode, but every time they appeared, their interactions with Serena were special and unique and brought a new light to her character.
It makes no sense to say she shouldn't get her own special because of that.

Last edited:

Slapstick-Olivia

I do agree that she didn't interact with Clemont at all, but that makes sense, since they never had all that much in common to begin with, despite traveling together. They were on good terms and that is all we need to know.

But you see, this right there actually tells me, that those two characters should have interacted way more often, because those two are huge contrast to each other. In my opinion the best character interactions those ones with two or more characters where all of them do have a different personality. Seeing all the time interactions with two similar characters is kinda boring. Some more interactions between a nerd (Clemont) and a princess (Serena) would have kinda be very entertaining if they would have used this opportunity. Same also with Cilan and Iris. I really wished we would have seen more interactions between those two, because both of them are a huge contrast to each other. One is a tomboyish wild girl and the other a polite gentleman in fancy clothes.

Xuxuba

But you see, this right there actually tells me, that those two characters should have interacted way more often, because those two are huge contrast to each other. In my opinion the best character interactions those ones with two or more characters where all of them do have a different personality. Seeing all the time interactions with two similar characters is kinda boring. Some more interactions between a nerd (Clemont) and a princess (Serena) would have kinda be very entertaining if they would have used this opportunity. Same also with Cilan and Iris. I really wished we would have seen more interactions between those two, because both of them are a huge contrast to each other. One is a tomboyish wild girl and the other a polite gentleman in fancy clothes.
It's not as if Serena didn't interact with someone who had a huge constrat with her personality, like Miette and Ash for example. Heck, even her own mother was nothing like her.

It's just unrealistic to expect people who have nothing in common to always bond.
Sometimes they don't and that is fine by me.

I do agree that it might've been fun to see the two of them interacting more, but it was never something that i thought "oh this is seriously messing up her story arc".

Last edited:

Slapstick-Olivia

Sure, but for us, the viewers, it would be so much more entertaining if we would see more different interactions. After all, this is an animated adventure comedy. Not a fancy tea party.

Xuxuba

Sure, but for us, the viewers, it would be so much more entertaining if we would see more different interactions.
Yeah, i just said that, although not every character has to bond and their bond wasn't really necessary for her story arc, it would've been fun to see the two of them interacting more often.

I hardly see how her not bonding all that much with a single character means she shouldn't get a special though.

After all, this is an animated adventure comedy. Not a fancy tea party.
Huh? A fancy tea party? Not sure what you are talking about...

Slapstick-Olivia

Huh? A fancy tea party? Not sure what you are talking about...

Haven't you see a stereotypical tea party conversation in a show? Most of the time you see similar characters interacting with each other. This is how I see the interactions between most Pokémon protagonist characters. They all interact with characters that are very similar to each other. Just like people in a fancy tea party.

DatsRight

The problem was that XY was extremely formulaic, and as time went on took to branching characters out of their comfort zone less and less, which meant less opportunities to see 'new lights' to them. Yeah Serena had the 'unconfident character gaining confidence' arc, but that arc and the manner it was set up was now standard to the show. She was even against arguably the least emotive version of Ash so far which really cut down her chemistry with him.

They wouldn't even let them meet a new character or conflict without TR intervening before it got too depthful.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Oh, it would be easy for Serena to interact with others, if the writers gave more spotlights to her with other girls instead of Ash. But they just wanted to focus on Ash, making the companions feel less important.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Yeah... I'm with this too. Even though Serena and Bonnie were supposed to be "like sisters", I feel like they were only paired up because they were girls. It was kind of like when Serena met Manon and they instantly bonded, all because they were girls rather than their own individual quirks (Manon didn't trip once at all in the main anime!... ok it was once) or maybe they interacted more off screen. On screen, they make it seem like they're close enough to understand their feelings despite just meeting but really, they never really bounced off each other well aside from just agreeing with what the other said. It wasn't like Dawn and Iris who got along showing that they had natural chemistry and was able to influence each other which caused for entertaining moments. Similar characters can still be notable like with May and Dawn but Serena and Bonnie's interactions felt so cut and paste just to show they have a good relationship. I wanted more and treasured Ash and Bonnie's interactions!

DatsRight

XY was just overwhelmingly plot driven, nearly every step taken and how effective it was seemed to rely on 'because the plot said so'.

It would be interesting to see Serena in SM where things are at least relatively character driven, and there's more room for non-battler companions to just do their own thing instead of being forced into superficial action and battles all the time.

Xuxuba

Oh, it would be easy for Serena to interact with others, But they just wanted to focus on Ash, making the companions feel less important.
Oh yeah because Dawn interacted a lot with Brock and Lillie interacted a lot with Sophocles, right? But somehow only Serena gets flack for not interacting with one of Ash's male companion, because she is a girl who has a crush on Ash and people who barely payed attention to the series reduce her character to that.

if the writers gave more spotlights to her with other girls instead of Ash.
That's right, she never interacted with Bonnie, Grace, Miette, Shauna, Marin or any other female character.
She just stood there gazing at Ash.

That is why she doesn't deserve her own special and not because of bias or anything like that.

Last edited:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Oh yeah because Dawn interacted a lot with Brock and Lillie interacted a lot with Sophocles, right? But somehow only Serena gets flack for not interacting with one of Ash's male companion, because she is a girl who has a crush on Ash and people who barely payed attention to the series reduce her character to that.
That is why she doesn't deserve her own special and not because of bias or anything like that.
Yikes except the fact Brock and Dawn did interact WAY more than Serena and Clemont. In fact along with Ash he helped mentor her the beginning days of her journey. Lillie has had some interactions with Sophocles and interacts with Mallow and Lana frequently. Her talking to Sophocles and Kiawe less frequently is more so due to the writers have the boys have their own “clique” and the same with the girls. If it was just Lillie Soph and Ash traveling I’m sure plenty of heads would turn if they never talked.

DatsRight

In fairness Serena did have the odd interaction with Clemont, usually being unimpressed with his tech affinity (eg. the gadget festival episode where she presses his buttons by showing how pointless the nut cracking device is). It's just these moments were too sporadic and rarely elevated past a gag. In fairness, Ash was pretty vanilla in XY so not a lot of his interactions were dual sided either.

I'll give credit for the interactions with her actual Pokemon team, they are often credited as one of the first to feel like a developed family (at least until Sylveon evolved and became an extra).

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It doesn't really help that Serena interacted with Ash and Clemont who had pretty bland personalities. Maybe if she returns she would have more interesting interactions with the SM group similar to when Dawn returned in BW and had interesting interactions with Iris and Cilan. Dawn definitely was more livelier when she returned in BW compared to how her interactions were with Brock in DP, which were pretty boring and almost non-existent as well.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I don't think Serena really interacted with most guys but Ash, It's kind of weird. She barely even acknowledged Clemont's existence even when Ash was off staring in the woods alone. But it's easy to ignore Clemont when he barely does anything. Even Ash did it after he beat him in his own Gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.