• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why doesnt Serena get a special episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Why does fairness have to come into it? If the writers want to bring a character back they will, they really don’t care if it’s fair to certain characters fans. To be honest the return characters haven’t exactly had the same treatment, Misty and Dawn have had 7 episodes plus specials after they left the series. May had 4 return episodes, and Iris had a special, Cilan had 2 specials and Brock has had 2 specials and 2 return episodes so it’s not exactly equal.
Well, I'm speaking for the fans who really care about them, and really want them back. I don't think letting down a fanbase for the expense to another one is a good idea, it just alienate them further more.

As for me, yes I'm a Serena fan, but I'm pretty much told the producers/writers to eat dirt at the end of XY, for all the issues they made to her and went ahead for a fan project. It wasn't fair anyways with how they pushed Ash in our throats in XY, a character that I'm tired to see all over again at the cost of the companions spotlights.

Last edited:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Why does fairness have to come into it? If the writers want to bring a character back they will, they really don’t care if it’s fair to certain characters fans. To be honest the return characters haven’t exactly had the same treatment, Misty and Dawn have had 7 episodes plus specials after they left the series. May had 4 return episodes, and Iris had a special, Cilan had 2 specials and Brock has had 2 specials and 2 return episodes so it’s not exactly equal.
Because they can’t just skip over characters like they didn’t exist and I’m pretty sure the writers know that. Cilan didn’t have 2 specials; he had A special and was featured in Celemont’s likewise Brock. And it doesn’t matter have many episodes each character had; the point is they had returns. The only people who didn’t have specials were Serena and May, so yes I would say the writers have a pretty much consistent cycle of everyone getting a return and special with a few outliners.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I don’t think Mega Evolution is really her shtick and she’s more interested in performing so it’s more likely it’ll be performance based. Preferably it shouldn’t be a Showcase because she’s already quit and I don’t find them as interesting as Contests because she keeps on using a similar routine in her performance and the voting system removes a lot of tension. It would obviously be better to see how is she going in the Contests.
Serena hasn't quite Showcases. She went to Hoenn to participate in Contests in order to improve her Performances. She is still a Performer—she is just one who happens to be participating in Contests right now.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Serena hasn't quite Showcases. She went to Hoenn to participate in Contests in order to improve her Performances. She is still a Performer—she is just one who happens to be participating in Contests right now.
However there is a battle aspect in the Contests that may not appeal to her. Also there is a limit to the number of Pokémon you can enter into a Contest so Serena may have trouble with putting on a good show with just one Pokémon itself and through that, hopefully she'll learn more ways to combine moves to diversify her performances. She will be encountering Pokémon she's never faced before and moves she's never heard of before and therefore she could be tempted to obtain new Pokémon or change around the moves of some of her existing Pokémon so that she does not stick to one routine that is almost the same.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
However there is a battle aspect in the Contests that may not appeal to her. Also there is a limit to the number of Pokémon you can enter into a Contest so Serena may have trouble with putting on a good show with just one Pokémon itself and through that, hopefully she'll learn more ways to combine moves to diversify her performances. She will be encountering Pokémon she's never faced before and moves she's never heard of before and therefore she could be tempted to obtain new Pokémon or change around the moves of some of her existing Pokémon so that she does not stick to one routine that is almost the same.
I would be cool that before she participates at the Pokemon Contest that she attend one of the Contest stages as a spectator, spots & recognizes May as the "Princess of Hoenn" inside. After the stage, they're both outside and May recognizes Serena as the "Kalos Master Class Finalist", interact each other more to the point they do a quick spar to evaluate each other bonds with their Pokemons. And after that, Serena tells May that she's going to train hard in order to catch up with her to the Grand Festival.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would be cool that before she participates at the Pokemon Contest that she attend one of the Contest stages as a spectator, spots & recognizes May as the "Princess of Hoenn" inside. After the stage, they're both outside and May recognizes Serena as the "Kalos Master Class Finalist", interact each other more to the point they do a quick spar to evaluate each other bonds with their Pokemons. And after that, Serena tells May that she's going to train hard in order to catch up with her to the Grand Festival.
If so, that would mean her interests (and her goal) would have shifted from Showcases to Contests but it still seems interesting though. I'm also hoping that Lisia will appear as a Contest scout and that she reveals she scouted Serena based on her prior experiences with performing in Showcases and that we get to see Mega Altaria (Ali Mega Evolved) in the anime.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jeal said:
But what would be the point of making her participate in contests if they did not show at least one?

This is just my personal opinion, but I thought that Serena switching from TryPokaron to Contests at the last minute when XYZ was winding down was mostly a way for the writers to expand her goal, not necessarily something that they'd want to invest time in showing. Similar to how the Champion's League was brought up for Satoshi in DP, but which he hasn't been shown participating in.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
worst of the series imo, like that rocker Pikachu,

It's ironic you say this since it was written by Aya Matsui, who is now head writer for SM, which you love. In fact, it was her return episode after nearly 7 years away from the Pokémon anime (DP138).

since they didn't even bother saying anything about Dawn's contest journey in BW.

She mentioned she was going to be competing in the Johto Wallace Cup.

DatsRight

It's ironic you say this since it was written by Aya Matsui, who is now head writer for SM, which you love. In fact, it was her return episode after nearly 7 years away from the Pokémon anime (DP138).

Every writer makes some stinkers or other stories that aren't consistent with their usual style.

Tomioka is often praised for writing some of the best battles and emotional situations in the show, and then we have stuff like his Pikachu vs Snivy incident. One of Matsui's first episodes was also Do I Hear A Ralts?, which had one of Team Rocket's most jarringly awesome battles and a rather dramatic climax with Max and Ralts, but in almost all other episodes she writes comical stories and has TR as incompetent or unlucky like everyone else does. Along with their depictions of Ash and Team Rocket changing with every series with the rest of the writing team, they go by what the plot demands like everyone does.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
One of Matsui's first episodes was also Do I Hear A Ralts?, which had one of Team Rocket's most jarringly awesome battles and a rather dramatic climax with Max and Ralts, but in almost all other episodes she writes comical stories and has TR as incompetent or unlucky like everyone else does.

I agree with everything you said including and especially what I've quoted, but with regards to what I've quoted, I actually don't think there's a difference in matsui's style between the XY ep (rocker Pikachu) and the SM humor, as that XY ep had similar humor to SM imo, which was my point in my original post.

DatsRight

I agree with everything you said including and especially what I've quoted, but with regards to what I've quoted, I actually don't think there's a difference in matsui's style between the XY ep (rocker Pikachu) and the SM humor, as that XY ep had similar humor to SM imo, which was my point in my original post.

Matsui still followed XY's formula in that case however, while with SM, where she likely has more creative control by heading the whole thing, she does a lot more formula breakers. The one exception may be Gladion's debut episode, which followed the same 'resolutionless battle because of TR' plot line as the Rocker Pikachu one. Old habits die hard I guess. :p

I agree that episode was more SM-level oddball, especially for a Serena one, but still.

D

Deleted member 384931

I hope at least when Ilma appears again he mentions something about Kalos because we dont have many easter eggs of Kalos.

D

Deleted member 384931

Did the anime ever had that many easter eggs to the other sagas that came after the original series? Most throwbacks I know where dedicated to the Kanto series.
They are and I dont think so. Maybe she wont get a special episode. But we can only see and wait.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Did the anime ever had that many easter eggs to the other sagas that came after the original series? Most throwbacks I know where dedicated to the Kanto series.
It's because Ash came from Kanto, so it's easy to relate most throwbacks to that region.
They are and I dont think so. Maybe she wont get a special episode. But we can only see and wait.
As much, I wanted Serena to get special episode. With the mindset that the producers/writers have about the show, it's less likely going to happen.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KenzeyEevee said:
I hope at least when Ilma appears again he mentions something about Kalos because we dont have many easter eggs of Kalos.

Even if Kalos is mentioned again during SM, I somewhat doubt that anything will come of it, however. I don't think Satoshi would have a flashback of Serena for instance, although I wish he would.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Even if Kalos is mentioned again during SM, I somewhat doubt that anything will come of it, however. I don't think Satoshi would have a flashback of Serena for instance, although I wish he would.
It would be cool if Satoshi mentioned the kiss he got from Serena, when he's about to leave Kalos, to the Alolan classmates, and how it tasted unique, despite being oblivious about it, just to spice things up for this show little bit more. :p

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It would be cool if Satoshi mentioned the kiss he got from Serena, when he's about to leave Kalos, to the Alolan classmates, and how it tasted unique, despite being oblivious about it, just to spice things up for this show little bit more. :p

It'd be funnier if Serena returns and brings it up.... and Ash doesn't remember it.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm sure at some point Serena will mention something about wanting to be like Ash in terms of battling skills. I'd still like to see her battle in the special with an outcome. And although not many people would expect her to do well, there's a possibility she's been modest about it and it could be shown in its full colours in the special.

Status
Not open for further replies.