1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why doesnt Serena get a special episode?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by janejane6178, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

The guy forgot how to use a pokeball. I'm sure he can forget a kiss.

2. Slapstick-Olivia

Slapstick-Olivia Well-Known Member

Was this kiss really such big of a deal for the anime series? I mean, it didn't really effected Serena as a character or Ash. It... just happen... Also, when it comes to Ash and romance, he is not really that type of person, that is into it. So far he only fallen in love with one girl and that was that Giselle character from the original series. And even back than it was more of a joke rather than real love.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  3. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

The only reason you could realistically call it not a big deal is because of how it was handled in its aftermath (i.e. not mentioned at all). On its own, at face value, it certainly is a big deal that it happened. It was not something you expect out of a show like Pokémon.

Genaller and KenzeyEevee like this.
  4. Satomine Night

Satomine Night The Power of Z!

I think it's more that kissing in general (along with other public displays of affection) is a bigger deal in Japanese culture than it is in American culture. To my knowledge, the Japanese tend to be shyer about romance than Americans are. So, for Serena to kiss Ash at all—much less kiss him in public in front of other people—is a really big deal, especially for a children's series. That could be why the kiss has to be censored; it wasn't considered entirely appropriate for children. (That's why I'm convinced Serena kissed Ash on the lips. A kiss on the cheek wouldn't need to be censored; it hasn't been in the past.)

While kissing Ash might not have seemed to affect Serena as a character, IMHO, it was a sign of the courage she had gained throughout the series. The Serena at the beginning of XY would have been too shy and embarrassed to kiss Ash at all, much less in front of other people.

5. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Well, the fact that she was leaving helped to take courage. She thinked ''I don't will see him again, I have nothing to lose.'' I would do the same thing in her place.

6. LilligantLewis

This was something I learned when watching The Bachelor Winter Games in February. To counterprogram NBC's Olympics coverage, ABC aired a special edition of The Bachelor for two weeks, that for the first time introduced cast members from international versions of The Bachelor to the main U.S. franchise.. Yuki, who got 5th place on her season of The Bachelor in Japan (vid: ) was shocked to find out from the contestants from other countries that the lead kisses many people in other nations' versions of the show, stating that the Japanese bachelor only kissed the winner when he proposed to her. When I heard that, I immediately thought back to XY&Z47.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  7. AznKei

AznKei Competing against players in Match Masters. XD

So Serena did the 4th wall thing, since she knew the producers/writers are going to write her off so she did the move that she and the audience won't forget.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  8. LilligantLewis

LOL, that's one way to look at it

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  9. Power Up

Power Up ...

Think that might be fake news tho... Looked it up, got nothing

Can @Dephender confirm?

Anyway, people should really stop with the whole Amour is her entire character BS. I and many others have disproved this notion, but time and time again people use it to criticize Serena when really it’s their fault themselves. It isn’t true

I hope she gets a special. If the next series is a 180 from SM, I hope she has a cameo there

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  10. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

How do you disprove an opinion and try to censor people’s opinions? What the what

11. Power Up

Power Up ...

Where am I trying to censor people’s opinions? I said I wished people stopped saying that without any type of proof of their own. You of course wouldn’t want to hear about SM is a bad anime or how Iris is a bad character without any proof would you not?

12. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Gary the Gnome got shattered

Soneone saying "amour is Serena's entire character" is not an opinion. It's someone attempting to make a statement of fact, and that can be disproven with evidence. An opinion is a subjective judgement on the quality or worth of something. for example, if one were to say "I don't like Serena", that would just be an opinion.

by your logic I could just say "in my opinion 9/11 was a hologram. you can't disprove that because it's my opinion :^)"

also nobody is advocating for censorship, put the crack pipe down.

13. AznKei

AznKei Competing against players in Match Masters. XD

I found a little bit disheartening about the whole straight character bashing. It would be more understandable to me if people criticize how the producers/writers handled the character and her goal and if they appealed to them.

14. Power Up

Power Up ...

Everyone does it. I am to blame as well. A lot of the so called “arguments” on why Serena doesn’t get a special or why she’s a bad character is straight up bashing without any proof. No one comes to the internet to get their minds changed. No one wins in an argument. All everyone does is continue to bash. If you’re going to criticize something, at least have some type of proof. That proof may be subjective, but at least you aren’t just straight up complaining

15. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

Did you really just compare 9/11 to a Pokémon character? I think we’re both mature enough to what the difference between those situations are. Someone saying “Amour is Serena’s entire character” is an opinion because ITS A SUBJECTIVE JUDGMENT. Someone can argue if Amour was focused on a lot during Serena run but would you really argue against 9/11 being a real thing when there’s family’s, museums and news reports that can heavily challenge that? Yeah I thought so.

Another definition of opinion is “an interpretation, value judgment, or belief that cannot be proved or disproved. Opinions often include biased words (beautiful, miserable, exciting, frightful).”

9/11 is proven to happen so no that isn’t an opinion.

No you said “people should really stop yada” not that you wished they’d stop. I have given my critique on SM plenty of times and whenever people display their reasons for disliking Iris I simply challenge their beliefs but never do I claim they need to completely stop saying why they dislike Iris. That’s just bananas.

16. keepitsimple

lmfao. I'm going to have to explain this to you again aren't I

No. I used a false statement of fact as an example for what doesn't constitute an opinion. It's a statement that can be disproven with evidence. "Amour is Serena's entire character" can be disproven by giving examples of her character that don't involve shipping bait.

Yet you clearly didn't understand my post or are just twisting it to fit your narrative.

No, it's objective because either shipping was her entire character or it wasn't. The truth of that statement (or lack thereof) cannot vary depending on who is saying it. It can be proven or disproven.

"I don't like Serena" is an opinion. This can't be disproven because you can't prove the person saying it actually likes Serena.

....That definition of opinion basically means the same thing as what I said opinion meant.

I ****ing know that. That was my point, that it's not an opinion, but if one were to go by the logic you tried to deploy earlier, then using logical consistency I could claim that it is.

Genaller and Xuxuba like this.
  17. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

• Posting with intent to annoy others
    Have we not heard of over exaggerating? I doubt anybody here truly believes that Serena was doing things related to Amour her entire run. Pretty sure people just mean that Amour overshadow some things about her character but if you want to nitpick words go ahead. You know that right? “Entire” is being used loosely?

18. keepitsimple

Nice job moving the goalposts. Exaggeration or not, it's still an attempt at making a statement of fact and therefore not an opinion.

Amour "overshadowing some things about her character" can also be proven true or untrue so that's not an opinion either.

he didn't claim people need to entirely stop saying why they dislike Serena. He said people should stop using reasons that have been disproven already. Disliking Serena isn't the issue, using faulty arguments and false statements to explain why is the issue. therefore, wanting that to stop is not "censoring opinions"

Genaller, Xuxuba and LilligantLewis like this.
  19. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

Not really. Your interpretation of her character can vary from somebody else’s. You can’t prove that Amour didn’t overshadow things about her character (just like it’s not possible to prove) because it’s subjective. Unless you have some non bias examples? I’d love to hear them honestly. If someone enjoyed Showcases and how they were handled and didn’t see no problem with the execution they’re going to disagree. How would you prove this was true/untrue if someone saw the scenes in a completely different light? And I didn’t move goalposts I replied to something that had relevance in your previous post but nice projection.

Actually he implied people should call Serena a bad character if they had “proof” (hence why he said would I enjoy people hating on Iris or SM without proof). How do you prove a character was bad? It’s all subjective and opinions. You can give a reason WHY you may dislike a character but again that doesn’t mean it’s proof or a fact. Everyone has their own truths and interpretations, so you can’t say their reasons are “disproven”. At most you can say you disagree with them and agree to just disagree but you seem to be claiming that if you (or someone else) thinks that someone’s reason is “faulty” it shouldn’t be said.

GreenMallows likes this.
  20. keepitsimple

I said the truth behind the statement cannot vary depending on who is saying it, I did not say that your *personal feelings* about her character can not vary from someone elses.

Yes it can be proven because it's entirely dependent on the writing so examples from the anime would be sufficient. Good grief.

The original statement you tried to defend as "just an opinion" wasn't about showcases, it was "Amour is Serena's entire character".

I don't have to prove anything about showcases, what the hell are you talking about? "I don't like showcases" is an opinion. "Amour was Serena's entire character" is not. How many times do I have to repeat this?

Your point about exaggeration had no relevance regarding whether "shipping was Serena's entire character" was an opinion or an objective statement.

Add "projection" to the list of words you need to look up, right under "subjective" and "opinion".

Genaller and Xuxuba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.