• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why doesnt Serena get a special episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
To actually answer the thread question, here are some possibilities:
  1. The writers/executives/whoever are done with Serena as a character. They're using the popularity from XY to market more dolls of her, controlling her appearance in media in order to prevent anything that might be unpopular and damage the brand.
  2. They have plans, but are waiting for the right time to strike. After all, absence makes the hearts of the fans and the weirdos who self-insert themselves int Ash and/or Serena grow fonder.
  3. The end is suppose to be open-ended just as a means of testing shelf-life of her character. Who knows? Maybe down the line, Serena gets backlash or a new pokegirl gets popular because of a wonderfully sad backstory and good characterization.

Navin

MALDREAD
If Serena doesn't appear in SM, then I highly doubt we'll see her in the next gen or anytime after that.

Even if you want to reach to the max and consider the brief BW flashback as an appearance, Misty came back after like 4 years.
------

All this talk about development and whether it's necessary or not or what they'll show is irrelevant. There's no way they're trashing their numero uno shipping bait ala Tracey Sketchit.

People forgetting how popular Amour is. smh

It's popular enough for them to post about Serena kissing Ash on all of their social media accounts on Valentine's Day.

Proof: https://twitter.com/pokemon/status/963865862267531264?lang=en

And that's only their twitter handle. All over Instagram and whatever.

Even baring many of the implications of this, I'm pretty sure Serena is still relevant enough for them to go out of their way and use XY scenes for Valentines instead of SM scenes. And SM had scenes they could have used

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
People forgetting how popular Amour is. smh

It's popular enough for them to post about Serena kissing Ash on all of their social media accounts on Valentine's Day.

Proof: https://twitter.com/pokemon/status/963865862267531264?lang=en

And that's only their twitter handle. All over Instagram and whatever.

Even baring many of the implications of this, I'm pretty sure Serena is still relevant enough for them to go out of their way and use XY scenes for Valentines instead of SM scenes. And SM had scenes they could have used
I like how every time they market Amour they never reference a mutual attraction or just Ash’s feelings in general just Serena’s... uh interesting. Anyway them posting Amour on their page doesn’t mean it’s extremely popular. Amour was the first attempt of “romance” by the anime and it’s not exactly like any characters from SM have romantic feelings for each other. So the argument “Oh they used an XY pic and not a SM pic must mean Amour is super duper popular” doesn’t hold up. It was a day of love, Serena had a canon crush on Ash, why not post her?

Rajas

To be honest Lusamine was only really “difficult” accidentally and generally cared and love Lillie. Not to say that Grace didn’t love Serena but she basically tried to force her life goal onto her daughter without considering what she wanted EVEN after Serena declared she wanted to do something alternative. It wasn’t until Serena beat her mother did she finally change her mind. Lillie simply just had to have a heart to heart with her mother (in Nihilego’s Ultra Space) and their conflict had a resolute.

Except that she didn't, Grace already was willing to let Serena pursue her dream when she saw her hiding and training to try and perfect it because she was afraid Grace wouldn't have allowed her to continue.
Grace had one problem with Serena and that was Serena always gave up easily once thugs got hard. The reason she wanted her to do Rhyhorn racing is because at least there she could make sure Serena didn't run away and the point of the race was to see how determined Serena would be hence using the Gogoat who run faster based on the riders emotions.
So actually Grace was a brilliant mother and knew her daughter much better than Lusamine apparently knew Lillie and vice versa. Touching on Lillie, she never understood the need to Lusamine to work hard, it was a typical hardworking mother being unintentionally neglectful. Gladion pointed this out to Lusamine but also Lillie could have always done this as well but she thought her mother was intentionally like that when it wasn't the case.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Even if you want to reach to the max and consider the brief BW flashback as an appearance, Misty came back after like 4 years.
I'm surprised Misty came back, although I can see her contributing the plot during the Kanto arc in SM. They wanted to introduce the gym to the Alolan classmates, in which she's a member and Mega Evolution in which despite we haven't see Misty's Gyarados mega-evolve prior to SM, it fits the criteria.

I remembered it also alienate the fanbase. On YouTube when the preview was shown, there was a war between Misty/Pokeshipping/Genwunner and Serena/Amourshipping fans. The latter claimed that the writers betrayed them.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I remembered it also alienate the fanbase. On YouTube when the preview was shown, there was a war between Misty/Pokeshipping/Genwunner and Serena/Amourshipping fans. The latter claimed that the writers betrayed them.

Youtube comments are the worst at times...

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I like how every time they market Amour they never reference a mutual attraction or just Ash’s feelings in general just Serena’s... uh interesting. Anyway them posting Amour on their page doesn’t mean it’s extremely popular. Amour was the first attempt of “romance” by the anime and it’s not exactly like any characters from SM have romantic feelings for each other. So the argument “Oh they used an XY pic and not a SM pic must mean Amour is super duper popular” doesn’t hold up. It was a day of love, Serena had a canon crush on Ash, why not post her?

Maybe because Ash is dense and Serena was much clearer in her attraction of Ash?

Yes, it does mean its extremely popular. You're just so blind in your Amour hate you can't acknowledge things that are so obvious. They could have used scenes from SM 40. They could have posted fanart on SM, or game stuff. Pokemon is all about marketing.

Amour being the first attempt and probably the only attempt at romance just adds on the popularity factor.

They posted Amour because it's very popular and Serena is very popular.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Maybe because Ash is dense and Serena was much clearer in her attraction of Ash?

Yes, it does mean its extremely popular. You're just so blind in your Amour hate you can't acknowledge things that are so obvious. They could have used scenes from SM 40. They could have posted fanart on SM, or game stuff. Pokemon is all about marketing.

Amour being the first attempt and probably the only attempt at romance just adds on the popularity factor.

They posted Amour because it's very popular and Serena is very popular.
“Amour hate”? Sounds a bit childish don’t you think? Nobody is saying Amour wasn’t popular to an extent but your reach about Pokémon posting them on ST VALENTINES DAY doesn’t prove your point. Also we don’t know if Amour will be the anime’s last attempt at romance, so I don’t know where all these conclusions are coming from buddy. Why would they use fanart for SM when they could of just used a direct scene from the anime showcasing a kissing scene?

I'm surprised Misty came back, although I can see her contributing the plot during the Kanto arc in SM. They wanted to introduce the gym to the Alolan classmates, in which she's a member and Mega Evolution in which despite we haven't see Misty's Gyarados mega-evolve prior to SM, it fits the criteria.

Yeah I remember this, there was a big stank that Misty got the first return in SM and not Serena as if the former hasn’t shown up in almost 10 years (and no I’m not counting the BW flashbacks) and the latter was just seen 50 episodes ago before SM started.

Cat's Eye Draco

Grace had one problem with Serena and that was Serena always gave up easily once thugs got hard. The reason she wanted her to do Rhyhorn racing is because at least there she could make sure Serena didn't run away and the point of the race was to see how determined Serena would be hence using the Gogoat who run faster based on the riders emotions.

This. Grace never really struck me as wanting Serena to learn Rhyhorn Racing purely for the sake of following in her footsteps. It felt more like she was making her do it because Serena wasn't showing any particular interest in pursuing a path of her own, and she couldn't just let her sit around doing nothing until she finally got around to picking something. At least this way Serena was learning a trade, and if she didn't grow to like Racing in time then maybe her dislike would eventually push her to find and stick with something she did like. (Which it eventually did, though the prospect of seeing Ash again certainly offered an extra incentive and was likely the tipping point in her decision.)

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I do agree with PokegirlFan~ that they won't show Serena in the net gen after SM. After all, Serena is from the previous generation, a player character and she won't serve much purpose. She has a higher possibility of appearing in SM. O the bright side, at least we saw her in the post credit scene in Movie 20. :D
“Amour hate”? Sounds a bit childish don’t you think? Nobody is saying Amour wasn’t popular to an extent but your reach about Pokémon posting them on ST VALENTINES DAY doesn’t prove your point. Also we don’t know if Amour will be the anime’s last attempt at romance, so I don’t know where all these conclusions are coming from buddy. Why would they use fanart for SM when they could of just used a direct scene from the anime showcasing a kissing scene?
It's already known that Serena and Amourshipping is popular, nobody's denying that. May I also include that Amourshipping WASN'T the first attempt of romance. There were hints of Ash and Misty back in OS before they decided that they're just friends Tracey stole yo girl, Melody & Latias kissed Ash, May and Drew had a thing going on, Ash had a crush on Giselle, Anabel, Bayleef, & Angie has a crush on him, Kenny has a crush on Dawn, and the obligatory "is Ash your boyfriend?" tradition is still going strong so Amourshipping won't be their last attempt of romance. They did it with Marieanie having a crush on James and soon, another Pokémon having a crush on Lana. No need to reinforce stuff that we are already aware of. The only advantage Serena had that the other girls didn't was that she was a main character. She won't be the last girl that'll have a crush on Ash.

Yeah I remember this, there was a big stank that Misty got the first return in SM and not Serena as if the former hasn’t shown up in almost 10 years (and no I’m not counting the BW flashbacks) and the latter was just seen 50 episodes ago before SM started.
That's weird. I was happy seeing Misty and Brock come back. It was about time she came back. She has way better chemistry and their roles were quite amazing in their return.

No, you straight up hate Amour lol.

Yeah it does. Just another factor. The official Pokemon Company acknowledging Amour and Serena and using her confession scene means a lot. And this was way after XYZ ended, deep into SM. Once again, they could have used game stuff, SM 40 etc...

Maybe because SM is the actual anime and game that is going on???

I do agree with PokegirlFan~ that they won't show Serena in the net gen after SM. After all, Serena is from the previous generation, a player character and she won't serve much purpose. She has a higher possibility of appearing in SM. O the bright side, at least we saw her in the post credit scene in Movie 20. :D

It's already known that Serena and Amourshipping is popular, nobody's denying that. May I also include that Amourshipping WASN'T the first attempt of romance. There were hints of Ash and Misty back in OS before they decided that they're just friends Tracey stole yo girl, Melody & Latias kissed Ash, May and Drew had a thing going on, Ash had a crush on Giselle, Anabel, Bayleef, & Angie has a crush on him, Kenny has a crush on Dawn, and the obligatory "is Ash your boyfriend?" tradition is still going strong so Amourshipping won't be their last attempt of romance. They did it with Marieanie having a crush on James and soon, another Pokémon having a crush on Lana. No need to reinforce stuff that we are already aware of. The only advantage Serena had that the other girls didn't was that she was a main character. She won't be the last girl that'll have a crush on Ash.

That's weird. I was happy seeing Misty and Brock come back. It was about time she came back. She has way better chemistry and their roles were quite amazing in their return.

She'll be the last girl IMO because I think Kalos was a test.

You can't compare those small occurences with an entire season of hints lol. Especially of a main character. It won't happen again IMO

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.

Yeah it does. Just another factor. The official Pokemon Company acknowledging Amour and Serena and using her confession scene means a lot. And this was way after XYZ ended, deep into SM. Once again, they could have used game stuff, SM 40 etc...

Uh no, maybe it's because it's a well known fact that Serena has romantic feelings for Ash and it's a day of love? They didn't have other scenes to work with and the last episode of XYZ were the newest (romantic) material they have. They already acknowledged Serena and her Amour feelings for Ash the day they didn't censor her blushing and dubbed lines. As opposed to them not acknowledging Lysandre's girlfriend comment towards Alan about Manon and replaced it with "sidekick".

It's possible but I doubt it.

You can't compare those small occurences with an entire season of hints lol. Especially of a main character. It won't happen again IMO
How is explicitly reciprocating feelings "small" occurrences? If Ash did half the teasing (Misty & Iris), physical contact (May), and friendship (Dawn), he did with Serena, you wouldn't be calling it "small occurrences". Ash and Misty DID have a season of hints before they decided to stay friends (and Tracey stole yo girl Misty) and even with Anabel, it was cute. Same with May and Drew. Dawn and Kenny (but we're not calling Penguinshipping canon because Dawn doesn't have romantic feelings for Kenny!) Pikachu and Ketchup. An entire season of one sided hints as Ash only see Serena as a friend but that doesn't have to be said explicitly for someone to know that.

Serena can have a whole episode of chopping off her hair and it'll still be more entertaining than seeing her blush over a guy that'll never love her back. At least chopping off her hair adds meaning to her character!

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

Where are you getting that he "hates" Amour? He's just saying that they used that scene because it fitted with Valentine Day. Could they also have posted that because Amour is popular? Possibly. But we know that they chose that scene for Valentines and that's it. Perhaps I won't deny that it also was posted because the ship is popular but just because they don't think it was posted for that reason doesn't mean they're suddenly jabbing at the ship lol.

Uh no, maybe it's because it's a well known fact that Serena has romantic feelings for Ash and it's a day of love? They didn't have other scenes to work with and the last episode of XYZ were the newest (romantic) material they have. They already acknowledged Serena and her Amour feelings for Ash the day they didn't censor her blushing and dubbed lines. As opposed to them not acknowledging Lysandre's girlfriend comment towards Alan about Manon and replaced it with "sidekick".

It's possible but I doubt it.

How is explicitly reciprocating feelings "small" occurrences? If Ash did half the teasing (Misty & Iris), physical contact (May), and friendship (Dawn), he did with Serena, you wouldn't be calling it "small occurrences". Ash and Misty DID have a season of hints before they decided to stay friends (and Tracey stole yo girl Misty) and even with Anabel, it was cute. Same with May and Drew. Dawn and Kenny (but we're not calling Penguinshipping canon because Dawn doesn't have romantic feelings for Kenny!) Pikachu and Ketchup. An entire season of one sided hints as Ash only see Serena as a friend but that doesn't have to be said explicitly for someone to know that.

Serena can have a whole episode of chopping off her hair and it'll still be more entertaining than seeing her blush over a guy that'll never love her back. At least chopping off her hair adds meaning to her character!

Yes they had scenes to work with lol. They had SM 40 English dub if they weren't going to use some of the subbed episodes.

They could have used anything. Plentiful amount of fanart, games, etc... They used Serena and Amour cause it was popular.

Sure, but it is what it is.

Were those shippings pushed as much Amour was? Side characters don't even count.

You may think it was one-sided, but as many others have said before, it really wasn't. But it probably fell on deaf ears.

Amour did add to her character as I and multiple other people have told you and many others. Many people just chose to ignore it.

Where are you getting that he "hates" Amour? He's just saying that they used that scene because it fitted with Valentine Day. Could they also have posted that because Amour is popular? Possibly. But we know that they chose that scene for Valentines and that's it. Perhaps I won't deny that it also was posted because the ship is popular but just because they don't think it was posted for that reason doesn't mean they're suddenly jabbing at the ship lol.

No they hate it. If hate is too strong a word, then dislike strongly. The user has jabbed at Amour since they have joined the site. It isn't a new thing.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
They could have used anything. Plentiful amount of fanart, games, etc... They used Serena and Amour cause it was popular.

No they hate it. If hate is too strong a word, then dislike strongly. The user has jabbed at Amour since they have joined the site. It isn't a new thing.

You got me interested about the word "games" about Serena and amourshipping. I want to try them out if there's any.

Well, some of the amour hate are legit though. At DeviantArt, there's people who makes those Pokemon couple controversy memes and they wrote they hate amourshipping because some rabid fans harassed them for having a different opinions than them, and that reason was quite common.

Jeal

Yes they had scenes to work with lol. They had SM 40 English dub if they weren't going to use some of the subbed episodes.

Let's not make a unnecessary fight, ok? This thread is not about Amourshipping, this is off-topic. I don't want the thread closed. Let's just talk about Serena's special.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Let's not make a unnecessary fight, ok? This thread is not about Amourshipping, this is off-topic. I don't want the thread closed. Let's just talk about Serena's special.
If we get a special I would like to see Serena meet one of May's rivals (since I highly doubt we'll ever see May again because of her va retiring/apparent health issues). I don't think we need to see her actually entering a contest, but it could revolve around her contest journey in Hoenn.

Or they could do something like her meeting Iris/Lillie I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.