• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why Doesn't The Anime Use Male Playable Characters in the Anime

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Think about it, why can't they use for example Calem instead of Serena and a female Gym Leader?
Or why couldn't they use Brendan instead of Drew in Hoenn?

Arrow-Jolteon

Electric Trainer
Apparently it's because Ash is supposed to be the stand in for every male player character. That's the best answer I can come up with, really.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Well, before, they couldve used Ash having a different outfit like in AG, Brendan didnt' wear those clothes. So it would've worked out smoothly. Ash is only supposed to be Red's counterpart, right?

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.
Well, before, they couldve used Ash having a different outfit like in AG, Brendan didnt' wear those clothes. So it would've worked out smoothly. Ash is only supposed to be Red's counterpart, right?

This is correct. But Ash is meant to represent the male MC of the games anyway. So having two at the same time would be odd.
Personally I'm glad they don't appear, in their games, their personality has enough depth for a one ounce of water.

Enjolras

Master of the House
This is correct. But Ash is meant to represent the male MC of the games anyway. So having two at the same time would be odd.
Personally I'm glad they don't appear, in their games, their personality has enough depth for a one ounce of water.

This isn't exactly fair, since the female player characters don't have an ounce of depth in the games either.

zhixun

I think that is because Satoshi took the male playable character slot. To be honest I would like to see a male main character other than Satoshi then have a female in alternate saga.

Sephora

yes I'm back
Your answer is two words: Ash Ketchum

Having a male playable character in the cast would take the spotlight away from our hero.

zhixun

Your answer is two words: Ash Ketchum

Having a male playable character in the cast would take the spotlight away from our hero.

This is not fair since he has been there for 17 years already. He is the one to be replaced in my opinion.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
I don't think it would hurt to have Ash having a female gym leader companion and a male playable character companion. For example, May, Dawn, and Serena are supposed to be the Male counterparts but they're just the female version of them. So they could've used idk, Calem, or like I said Brendan could've been Mays rival instead of Drew??

Inferno792

Food Wars
This is not fair since he has been there for 17 years already. He is the one to be replaced in my opinion.

You want Ash replaced? I think the only reason Pokemon anime is still alive after sh*t*ng in so many regions is because of Ash.

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.
You want Ash replaced? I think the only reason Pokemon anime is still alive after sh*t*ng in so many regions is because of Ash.

No it's not that. It's funding from Nintendo and the games that keep it alive. Ash just provides ratings.

This isn't exactly fair, since the female player characters don't have an ounce of depth in the games either.

Either way same thing. And the girls are used for eye-candy as one of the writing staff said. Think about it, would a male player character like Lucas have more eye-candy than Dawn?

Last edited:

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
Ash Ketchum. That's it. And if some male character had to be a Gym Leader, I think they won't do it as it will be different from the games.

Lady Kuki

Candy.
My guess is that since Ash is already the main male character of the Pokemon anime, the writers don't feel the need to add any of the main male characters from the games.

I don't see what's wrong with incorporating them into the anime though; I mean there are so many opportunities they could have used to introduce the playable male characters in the anime yet they keep skipping it. Like they could make a special like Legend of Thunder where they have a character like Lucas, Calem etc. as the main character just for that one episode. Oh well... it is what it is.

Last edited:

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Yeah, but they could use eye candy gym leaders. So, in Diamond and Pearl Lucas, could've replaced Dawn, as a the male lead and they couldve used Maylene as Ash's female companion, something like that it's just an example. Point is...it's not impossible .

zhixun

Yeah, but they could use eye candy gym leaders. So, in Diamond and Pearl Lucas, could've replaced Dawn, as a the male lead and they couldve used Maylene as Ash's female companion, something like that it's just an example. Point is...it's not impossible .

I think they did it in BW. Considering Iris is a gym leader in White version.