• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why don't any Pokemon games give you the option to forfeit trainer battles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTypeStarter

From gen I, you can only run from wild battles. While the option to run is in a trainer battle, the game will just tell you that you cannot run. Why not instead give the option to forfeit the battle? Saving you time from watching yourself faint slowly from a battle you cannot win?

Nyter

Island Challenger
Mm in so.e cases it would trap you. Say the Elite four... you go into an Elite's room and it locks up on you. If you forfeit that battle. You will just be there, trapped in the room unable to move back or move forward unless you defeat the trainer.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
There are instances where you can walk around trainers but they are few and far between in each game. There is also noticeable glitch in Hoenn. There are twins in yellow dresses next to a lake. If you have only have one pokemon in your party, the fight wont trigger their battle since it is a double battle only. Those instances are rare as well.

But i do agree that sometimes not being able to deny a fight against a trainer.... can be like a nasty trap if you're low on supplies or PP power for moves. One way to combat it is to be decently leveled so you don't get screwed over by a trainer and you lose money because you lost.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
From gen I, you can only run from wild battles. While the option to run is in a trainer battle, the game will just tell you that you cannot run. Why not instead give the option to forfeit the battle? Saving you time from watching yourself faint slowly from a battle you cannot win?
Because then there's literally no consequences ever for anything. Also, it's really hard to get into battles you literally can't win unless you're deliberately underleveling or otherwise restricting yourself.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Having the player be able to run from Trainer battles would probably discourage some from actively training their teams which would result in being under leveled for mandatory (boss) battles.

Akashin

Ehh, I'm not against the idea of allowing the player to concede. Make it so that conceding has the consequence of penalizing you monetarily the same as if you had whited out. Maybe make it so that Trainers you've conceded to are still considered battled, though in that case I think it would work better if it was paired with a Trainer rematch system. Then make it so that certain battles (Gym Leaders, E4, crucial story battles, etc.) have to be fought to the bitter end and can't be conceded.

jaden767

Amphetamine
It would be counter productive to the battling aspect of the franchise. Trainers battling each other is an important part of the games so being able to run away from those encounters would kind of ruin one of the main objectives of the games.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mm in so.e cases it would trap you. Say the Elite four... you go into an Elite's room and it locks up on you. If you forfeit that battle. You will just be there, trapped in the room unable to move back or move forward unless you defeat the trainer.
In this case clearly everyone would choose to battle those trainers because that would be the only way to escape the room, but that doesn't explain why trainer battles in routes can't be forfeited. Although why anyone would want to forfeit and miss out on prize money is beyond me.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Having the player be able to run from Trainer battles would probably discourage some from actively training their teams which would result in being under leveled for mandatory (boss) battles.
On the other hand, most other JRPGs allow some sort of fleeing system, allowing you to theoretically be as underleveled as you want provided there are overworld enemies you can see and fight. Those games, however, have the fleeing mechanic counterbalanced by always having some chance of failure (though whether you are aware of the odds or not varies on the game), with failure guaranteed if they're sufficiently strong. They function exactly like the Run mechanic for wild Pokémon.

That being said, those JRPGs don't allow you to flee from certain battles, like boss battles or important characters. I think for Pokémon, the Doylist explanation is that all trainer battles are regarded as important battles. The Watsonian explanation might be that trainers are not allowed to run from each other at risk of disqualification from the Pokémon League.

I do remember in early bits of the anime, however, in that Ash would deliberately seek out battles and never run from them because it was against his personal code. Other characters might have been tempted to do so, but Ash himself would not. That the player characters share this code of honor is a possible explanation.

KRSplat

Unevolved Mankey
During Pokemon design there is a consideration for the effects the game can have on players.
I used to often play Pokemon waiting for school to start.
There was a rule that once school is about to start, all the games have to stop, with no exceptions.
So I think that's why, in the event there was a trainer battle and school was starting,
Forfeiture would not be an acceptable option, the rule would be the game have to be turned off: there is no time to forfeit and save.
Avoiding the game being a distraction from school is where I guess they are drawing the line about having that option.

(Game theorists and designers are aware that this type of game is tempting kids to play it before school, there has to be cooperation;
preventing the game from being a distraction, while a balance w/ keeping the student mind occupyed.)

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
During Pokemon design there is a consideration for the effects the game can have on players.
I used to often play Pokemon waiting for school to start.
There was a rule that once school is about to start, all the games have to stop, with no exceptions.
So I think that's why, in the event there was a trainer battle and school was starting,
Forfeiture would not be an acceptable option, the rule would be the game have to be turned off: there is no time to forfeit and save.
Avoiding the game being a distraction from school is where I guess they are drawing the line about having that option.

(Game theorists and designers are aware that this type of game is tempting kids to play it before school, there has to be cooperation;
preventing the game from being a distraction, while a balance w/ keeping the student mind occupied.)
I wouldn't risk taking a expensive gaming device into a high risk environment such as a kids school. Distractions, lost it at school especially if the school is far away. Then there are also risk of teachers confiscating it if there are bans for devices or toys. You could get reported by the teacher (parent most likely) or worst gets stolen.

For me I'm a 33 year adult but i occasionally keep my blue 3DS In a pocket with a zipper on the inside of my work jacket as a janitor. But i only use it during my 10 am lunch break. I work from 8:00 AM till 12:00...and it works wonders when waiting for the bus.

Last edited:

Missingno.Fan

I always wanted a forfeit option in trainer battles. In my idea, you can only forfeit to a trainer once and if you run past them again you have to battle them. You also have to pay them what you normally would have if you lost and you cannot forfeit battles you initiate or important ones like Gym Leaders.

KRSplat

Unevolved Mankey
I wouldn't risk taking a expensive gaming device into a high risk environment such as a kids school. Distractions, lost it at school especially if the school is far away. The there are also risk of teachers confiscating it if there are bans for devices or toys. You could getting reported and scolded by head-teacher or parents during meeting sessions or worst of all theft.

For me I'm a 33 year adult but i occasionally keep my blue 3DS In a pocket with a zipper on the inside of my work jacket as a janitor. And only use it during my 10 am lunch breaks so i'm aware of keeping track of time. I work till from 8:00 AM till 12:00...and it works wonders when waiting for the bus.
Normally I would've just played wallball before school. Except somehow I got out, are you the one who got me out in wallball? I would have been in 1st grade when you were in 5th grade.

Off-topic at this point, also to liken a trainer battle to a TGC style duel, forfeiture is not really an option since at the end of the game all the cards have to be picked up and put away. So a claim of forfeiture is kind of counterintuitive since the ending of the game just creates more work that both players have to do. Unlikely that a forfeiture would be acknowledged in the midst of the creation of mindnumbing work.

A forfeiture is designed to prevent people from wasting time or energy, there is no point of a forfeiture when the end of a game leads to actually more significant amounts of work that have to be done. When the game ends, regardless of the outcome of a duel, there would have to be extra work now, so instead define forfeit in a game where suddenly quitting means being able to rest.

HeartJoy

It would be counter productive to the battling aspect of the franchise. Trainers battling each other is an important part of the games so being able to run away from those encounters would kind of ruin one of the main objectives of the games.
This is why introducing the ability to run away from battles would not be a good idea for the Pokémon franchise. It would take away from the competitive spirit of the game and make it less enjoyable for players who enjoy facing off against other trainers.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Please don't bump threads that are older than 60 days old. Thanks. There are some exceptions, such as anything that's pinned, fan art and fan fiction. So please double check the rules in each section just to be sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.