• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why don't Colosseum and XD get more love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMD Calcio

L'Amore per Sempre
Title explains it all really. I've just been wondering why more people haven't played the Gamecube 3rd Gen games. I've also heard that a lot of people don't like them as much as the GBA games. Why is this? Do people hate double battles that much? Are they just too used to playing the games on the Gameboy?

Maetch

Limited Pokemon availability, unable to trade with GBA games until you've cleared the main story, and the fact that it's just not portable are pretty much the main factors.

KingWiggins

because games like Emerald DOMINATE over it.

To be perfectly honest, I have no clue.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Limited Pokemon availability, unable to trade with GBA games until you've cleared the main story, and the fact that it's just not portable are pretty much the main factors.

This pretty much.

People expected a fully fledged Pokémon RPG on the home consoles, something that was completely unrealistic, or just upset because it wasn't their precious "Stadium 3"

Not to say that Colosseum and XD was a perfect game by any means but it was a solid good game.

Mister_SGG

Both games were really, really good in my opinion but like Maetch said, they lack a lot of things that make the main series games so great.

CMD Calcio

L'Amore per Sempre
I could understand limited availability being an issue. The full fledged Pokémon RPG expectation also makes a lot of sense. But limited trading and lack of portability? What about actually playing through the game with the Pokémon you catch? And don't a lot of people get addicted to console games despite their lack of portability? Or is it just that weird for people to try and play a Pokémon game that you can't take on the go?

Indigoodra

Because they're 8 years old, and people are obviously going to give more attention to the newer things.

CMD Calcio

L'Amore per Sempre
Because they're 8 years old, and people are obviously going to give more attention to the newer things.
People still love the 3rd Gen games regardless. As proof I dare you to try and pick up a legit copy of any of the 3rd Gen games from a store. They're tough to get a hold of now because the demand for them is still high. I also don't give a **** about 4th or 5th Gen.

And that has nothing to do with how so few people liked these games when they first came out. My question is...why didn't more people like these games back in the day?

Aquarelle

Staff member
And that has nothing to do with how so few people liked these games when they first came out. My question is...why didn't more people like these games back in the day?

Well, I can think of a few possible reasons:

-The main games are always more popular than the side/spin-off titles. Many people simply don't give the non-main games a chance.

-The vast majority (or all maybe) of the Pokemon available in Colosseum/XD can be found in FRLG and Emerald (see above point). Yeah, Col/XD made it possible to get Ho-Oh and Lugia without an event, but I don't think *that* many people would've been interested in buying the games for just 2 Pokemon.

-The Gamecube did not sell nearly as well as the GBA, which probably hurt Col/XD's popularity a lot. And many people might not have felt it was worthwhile to purchase a GC just for Col/XD even if they thought those games looked interesting.

Those were some things I could think of off the top of my head. Personally, I really enjoyed Colosseum & XD and think it's a shame that many Pokemon fans haven't played them.

CMD Calcio

L'Amore per Sempre
-The main games are always more popular than the side/spin-off titles. Many people simply don't give the non-main games a chance.
Just curious. Why do you consider Colosseum and XD to be spin offs? I've always thought of them as main games since in both games you train and catch Pokémon like in the other main games.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Just curious. Why do you consider Colosseum and XD to be spin offs? I've always thought of them as main games since in both games you train and catch Pokémon like in the other main games.

I don't consider them to be main games for a few reasons. First, while Colosseum and XD have training and catching Pokemon, some of the other key parts of the main games, such as earning badges and defeating the Elite Four, are absent in these games. Next, I think of the main games as being exclusive to handheld systems. And, it looks like Gamefreak views the main games as being only on handhelds too. Also, Col/XD were developed by Genius Sonority, not Gamefreak - and the main games are always made by Gamefreak.

Even though I don't consider Col/XD to be "main" games, I don't exactly call them "spin-offs" either. I call them "side" games, something in between main and spin-off games because as you said, Col/XD have more similarities to the main games (training, catching, trading, etc.) than spin-off titles do.

Aura Of Twilight

Forever Clueless
CMD Calcio, I agree with you. Both Colosseum and XD were amazing. They certainly brought a new meaning to the whole concept of "shadow pokemon" and its a shame not a whole lot of people pay attention to them anymore...Sure, they're spinoffs, but so what? I thought that Genius Sonority was taking the step in the right direction of making an awesome series. Also, although I do like the main games, Colo and XD seemed to me to appeal to older players because of how dark there were, which was a nice change.

Colosseum was one of my first pokemon games I'd ever played, and I've been in love with the game ever since. Haha ^_^

Seth pkmn

Well, how would you fell if there were a pokemon game that:
♣Had no wild battles
♣Caught pokemon had to be de-shadowed
♣Couldn't trade until game was beaten
♣Not portable

i liked doing the battle mountain, i found it was more enjoyable for getting my pokemon to level 100
Yea, I really enjoy that aspect of the game.

32er

TM87? I got TM32 :]
I ****ing love both games, their not perfect but they were still awesome -- Best home-console Pokemon games to date in my opinion.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah, I'm not too surprised they weren't as popular as the main series games, as one of the attractions of Pokemon games was the portability. I liked them a lot but it wasn't without its flaws and did lack a few features from the main games that people are used to, such as wild Pokemon. (XD's 'wild' Pokemon boiled down to 'bribe them with cake').

And although it uses the same game mechanics, Colo/XD is regarded as a spinoff due to not being on handheld and not being made by Game Freak.

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
It's probably because of the fact that it's different from the main games and not all are gonna like the fact every battle being double battles. I have to admit though that XD really was enjoyable, complicated yeah, but really enjoyable.

Takashi47W

Event Lover
I think one factor is how long it takes. In all the other games you can go through with your main Okemon and beast it anywhere from 5-10 hours. (turning combat off, fast speech and knowing what your doing). These games take a lot longer compared to allthe portables. It also is a lot more of an RPG basis (it reminds me of Final Fantasy.) I think the games are neat though. n.n

iMillenium

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Possibly because the pokemon you can catch are limited... You can't like catch 3 pikachu because of the steal system...

MusicalZoroark

I love these two games! I just reoubght a Gamecube that came with XD GoD

Status
Not open for further replies.