• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why don't more people use Uxie?

Cipher

Nothing to be done
I'm sure it received his due 5th-generation discussion when the games were new, but it's a serious question. I hardly ever see Uxie on Wi-Fi, and he's apparently been deemed UU by Pokemon players at large, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why. With dual screens and Memento, he has to be one of the best partners for frail set-up sweepers in the game, and I can't think of anything that does its particular job better.

I've been running the following prior to bringing out a Shell Smash/White Herb Cloyster, Swords Dance Scizor, etc, and it's just ridiculous:

Uxie@Light Clary
Bold
252 HP/ 252 Defense / 4 Speed
Psychic, Light Screen, Reflect, Memento

Dual Screen Uxie is nearly guaranteed to take a hit. Playing smart, you'll usually be able to pull off both screens and end with a Memento, leaving room for a game-ending sweeper to run rampant with set-up (especially something already defensive like Cloyster). It'll even buy frailer Pokemon a game-changing turn or too. Worst-case scenario, Uxie can still take at least one hit from almost anything and at least use a relevant screen or Memento. Finally, Psychic, rather than U-Turn, at least packs a moderate offensive punch, for picking off glass cannons or taking a hit and revenge killing.

Yes, it hates Taunt, but so do plenty of other support and utility Pokemon.

So, honestly, what am I missing? Why don't I ever see other Uxies? The only other Pokemon that shares this particularly useful combination of stats and moveset is Cresselia, which trades some of its defense for offense and healing abilities. Is it just too situational? Again, I think it's the definition of "nothing does its job better."

Latios can do that exact Dual Screen set but faster, and with more power on Psychic (or I guess Draco Meteor). If you ignore Memento there's probably a dozen other faster Pokes that just do it better.

The Stealth Rock Uxie set is just not useful compared to other rockers like Heatran and Jirachi who actually do something after.

Any sort of defensive Calm Mind set is outclassed by a ton of stuff such as Reuniclus.

Uxie isn't particularly "bad" in the way that Pidgeot is bad, but it's just not good enough for standard play.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Latios is pretty much the answer I was looking for. Completely forgot it packed Memento as well. Still, I hardly see that either.

I guess while I can appreciate Latios being more useful in plenty of situations and having less to fear from Taunt, I still like the relative safety Uxie provides, not having to worry about Scarfed Pokemon and being able to block sweepers that have already set up. With a little Speed investment (maybe mine actually has some; I'll have to check again), it outspeeds a lot of bulkier attackers as well, particularly Tyranitar, which seems to be a very common Wi-Fi lead.

I recognize that in every set besides Dual Screens + Memento, though, there are lots of equally or more viable options.

thekorean

Any dark types with respectable speed and attack destroys em. Or bug types.

See: Weavile, Volcarona

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I don't because I like pokemon that are a little more... flexible. Compact that with the fact that most support pokemon have a reliable recovery move (not all, but i believe the more popular ones do) and Uxie doesn't does not help it. Psychic types also have resistance against fighting types, but not much of anything else that is very relevant in the Ou metagame. I am not saying Uxie is completely useless (I used it back in gen 4 and a little gen 5) but it is very outclassed in other movesets, and how many Pokemon only have 1 usable moveset that are Ou? (Probably more than I expect)

Uxie is just outclassed by Cresselia and Latias, as they both have higher defenses. The only moves that Uxie has that they don't that are usable are Stealth Rock and Giga Drain, which lots of people forget about.

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
I think if Uxie got Recover, it'd be used more. TR / Reflect / Light Screen / Recover. Seems like a rather nice set. Great. Now I'm gonna wanna make a UU TR team.

RDSchley

The Anti-Hero
It's rather slow, pure psychic isn't great for pure defense and there are multitudes of equal screeners if not better.

Uxie isn't 'bad' it's simply outclassed

Vandslaux

The dual screens set in RU can be good.

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
It also has a rather unwanted typing, except for the fighting resist, and it's movepool is rather limited. It also lacks self recovery. Which I've already stated.

McDanger

uxie is also slower then most OU screeners so he isnt guarrented to get up both screens like espeon, cresselia, azelf, and latios/ais are

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
uxie is also slower then most OU screeners so he isnt guarrented to get up both screens like espeon, cresselia, azelf, and latios/ais are

Basically, all of this. Espeon out speeds it, and can't be Toxic'd.