• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why don't Nintendo make a colour handheld from the start?

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
It saddens me that anyone would have to say "Have you heard of the Gameboy". I must be so old now. :(

But how do you know nintendo were able to make a colour handheld straight away? Do you have proof?

BCVM22

The truth is, Nintendo could all-well make a colour handheld from the start. Why didn't they?

The truth is more that you have a limited idea of what you're talking about if you have any idea at all.

That the Game Gear was more expensive, twice the size, needed more batteries and had several times less of a battery life were all largely a function of the color screen. Nintendo elected to go the route of sacrificing technology for price and accessibility, something that should surprise no one in the here and the now, and given the outcome of that particular hardware battle, apparently it was a good decision back then too. By the time the Game Boy Color hit nearly a decade later, handheld color screens were more feasible, technologically and practically.

With that out of the way, I think the question becomes the one that asks why you insist on making mindless threads that serve absolutely no purpose. There's no way you couldn't have figured this particular matter out on your own had you thought about for a moment, or, at most, spent a few minutes on Wikipedia. And that can't even be said about most of the threads you feel it necessary to make.

Stop and think next time. It'll do you a world of good.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Have you heard of the GB and GBC? Well the GB was released before the GBC and it's in black and white. The truth is, Nintendo could all-well make a colour handheld from the start. Why didn't they?

Have you heard of the gameboy and the Nintendo ds? The ds is touch screen. Why didn't Nintendo make the gameboy a touch screen?

TicoPokemonMaster

It saddens me that anyone would have to say "Have you heard of the Gameboy". I must be so old now. :(

You and me are on the same boat. The good thing I can say I was born in 1988 so the atari and NES are older than me

Chris

Old Coot

But how do you know nintendo were able to make a colour handheld straight away? Do you have proof?

For someone who claims to be "old," it baffles me that you didn't automatically think of the Game Gear, Turbo Express or Atari Lynx.

Those three handhelds are the reason Nintendo didn't do color - it cost too much and bumped the prices of the handhelds up quite a bit. The battery life was also cut short because of them using color and backlit screens.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Have you heard of the GB and GBC? Well the GB was released before the GBC and it's in black and white. The truth is, Nintendo could all-well make a colour handheld from the start. Why didn't they?

Part of the inspiration for the original Gameboy was Gunpei Yokoi seeing a man on a subway playing around with a digital watch. He realized that you didn't need something "high-tech" or "state of the art" to be entertained.

aclover

VICTORiOUS
nintendo messed around with 3d screens on the GBA. why didn't they release a 3D gameboy? TOO EXPENSIVE.
nintendo tend to make thinks 'cheap and cheerful' whille retaining those idea for the future products when they are cheaper.

TicoPokemonMaster

nintendo messed around with 3d screens on the GBA. why didn't they release a 3D gameboy? TOO EXPENSIVE.
nintendo tend to make thinks 'cheap and cheerful' whille retaining those idea for the future products when they are cheaper.

I never heard of the GBA having anything to do with 3D

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
They wanted something cheap, so people would buy it.

That a problem?

Chris

Old Coot
$99 wasn't excatly cheap, sure it was cheaper than the other but ecomoney was better then.
$99 for the entertainment it provided with a good lasting battery life, it was indeed cheap.

woot21

super noob
$99 for the entertainment it provided with a good lasting battery life, it was indeed cheap.
Plus it came with Crack: The Video Game, I mean Tetris.

woot21 out dawgs