• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why don't people like to use their starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
It depends on what games you are playing, but some starters are just better than others.

PsiOmega

An old soul
Starters typically have worse stats than other Pokemon (Save stuff like Infernape, Emboar, Sceptile, Swampert, etc). The Pokemon found later in the game usually have better stats.

GirlsILikeThem

I imprisoned my Pignite in my PC long ago, before I got my fourth badge, I think. It is STAYING there.

Also, using Starter Pokemon is only one step away from using Legendaries. So Starter Pokemon are a no. ;167;

StarMasterWarrior

the prince of stars
I don't know what you're talking about, I use Empoleon(gen4 only), Blaziken(gen3 only), and Serperior (gen5 only) all in my teams. So, dem peoples who don't use dem, are crazy.

icyman300

lets go...
In game i always use my starter. There are only a couple good starters t o use competitively. Swampert, empoleon, infernape. And thanks to dream world we got blaziken and venasaur and serperior soon to come.

gpdlt

Pokemon Trainer
I use them in the game. Of course, I don't do competitive. Some starters aren't that great, apparently. Of course, with so many Pokemon to choose from, and only six slots, well, some pokemon are more appealing than others.

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
In-game, they are my first priority. Leveled up first, and whatnot. Competitively, I try and replace them as quick as possibly. Serperior doesn't learn much outside of Grass typed moves...

Grei

not the color
I pretty much always use my starter. In fact, if I don't, I feel really weird. Same thing with having a Flyer. I need a bird Pokemon on my team, and I need a Starter on my team. At the very least, I need a Starter-esque Pokemon (Cubone, Sewaddle, Porygon, Tympole, and other Pokemon) to use as my Starter.

They're sort of like team leaders, and additionally, they're the first Pokemon you emotionally connect with (if you do that sort of thing (which I do)). So for me, a team without a Starter is just a group of six Pokemon. There's a strange feeling of synergy that is present when a Starter is on your team, in my experience.

So, I always raise my starters and keep them in my team.

It helps that I love almost all of the Starters. I really love all three Unova Starters, as well as Turtwig, Totodile and Cyndaquil, Bulbasaur, and all three Hoenn Starters. If I were to simply construct a team out of thin air, it'd likely include a Starter from some region anyway.

cantab

In-game, I can't bear to starter ditch. I think I've done it on a couple of Red mono-type runs, that's about it. I don't restart my games often, so it's not like I get bored of them.

Meganium, I'll admit, I've found rather lacking though.

Were I making a competitive team, then I'd only use a starter if I thought it would work well on my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.