• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why don't people like to use their starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildbiscuit

One Tough Cookie
In some games I use them, in some I don't. Mainly because in some there are Pokemon I like more and in other there aren't. I don't use them competitively, though.

Southwind

Tropius Rocks!
On previous games, I always leveled my starter up to it's final stage, and stopped training it and used it for breeding in order to trade them for the other starters. On Black, i didn't stop playing with my starter, because I really liked Serperior. It's just a choice you have to make.

Keep it Kool! ;)

ProjectTitan313

Fire breathing moth
I still use my Samurott as Emboar as meat shields when catching things. Other than that I like Swampert, Empoleon, and Feraligatr, they at least have some competitive usability.
Some.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
I do like to. Until it gets to the point where I've used them all like twenty times before. Which doesn't take too long.

Also I prefer the freedom of choice for my team.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Most people do use their starters when playing through the game. But they normally don't in competitive battles because they simply aren't good enough. I, however, don't like using starters in-game either because they just aren't my preferred choice!

xDWarrior

I always assumed people stuck with their starter. I find them to be pretty strong actually, but then again I don't competitive battle

Larry

I think for in-game people get bored and like to try different teams out which don't always include a starter.

gliscor&yanmega

I see everybody has their active teams in their signature, and nobody uses their starter pokemon, i always use my starter from the game, and sometimes from another game.

I see plenty of people on here with Starter Pokemon(And/or their evolutions) in their signatures.

And I'm fairly certainly, plenty of people who don't have their team in their signature use their Starter. And I'm also certain people who aren't on this site who play the game use their starter.

People do use their starters, a lot of people do actually. There's just also a lot who don't use it for personal reason(Such as just not liking them or liking others more), as well as competitive reasons. Starters still get used a lot though.

Some people don't like any of the starters and but pick the won they like the most then replace it. Or they find Pokemon that they like more than the starter and use it over the starter.

I personally have at least 1 starter I really like each gen, and in Hoenn I really like all 3 starters.

MewTwoEx

Metagross Master
The current Gen starters are not the most appealing.

Infernape, Torterra, Empoleon, Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile, Blastoise, Venusaur, Charizard, Feraligatr, Typhlosion were all awesome.
But the 5 gen? Please

The current Gen starters are not the most appealing.

Infernape, Torterra, Empoleon, Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile, Blastoise, Venusaur, Charizard, Feraligatr, Typhlosion were all awesome.
But the 5 gen? Please

Are you talking about what they are capable of fighting or opinion on design?

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Both, probably. Serperior, Samurott and Emboar sucked

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Emboar and Samurott, the only ones worth using for battles, have bad speed and defenses.
Samurott have great speed and defenses, but sucks booty offensively.

randomspot555

Emboar and Samurott, the only ones worth using for battles, have bad speed and defenses.
Samurott have great speed and defenses, but sucks booty offensively.

I'm assuming the second Samurott means Serperior.

Then what about *gasp* use it defensively! Toxic, Leech Seed, Protect/Substitute, Giga Drain.

Hell, I used Coil, Leaf Blade, Leech Seeed and Return and that helped me conquer the E4.

Samurott has 95/85/70 defenses. What in the world are you smoking? Add in Scald with a chance to burn and it take a good number of hits. Swords Dance can boost it's ATK stat and with Razor Shell, Megahorn, and Night Slash, gets pretty good coverage.

As for Emboar, so it isn't the fastest thing in the world. So what? That's why you have a TEAM to cover others' weaknesses, and once it hits, it hits pretty hard.

I'm not saying any of these are the bestest Pokemon foreverest, but I used them in my in-game run, and both can be competitively viable if someone played to their strenghts.

Last edited:

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Oh.. my bad.. Yes, I meant Serperior.. Derperior
I too used that Serperior. It worked.... avarage.. But my god! I lacked the patiense to use it.

I used Samurott once. Its Sp.Defense was bad. Maybe I had a bad nature.. oh well.
out of the derp-trio, Samurott is the favourite. All three of them look like sh!t

But yeah.. other Pokemon get the job done, I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.