• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why gen 7 Pokemon don't appeal to me.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I loved the new Pokemon in Gen VII. The UBs imo are especially fantastic in that they made their intent of looking very alien successful in that they don't belong in the Pokemon world. I agree their competitive use could have been done better for at least some Pokemon although they're at least fine in Doubles. Of course I haven't stepped into the Gen VII metagame in a long time because everything has just gotten a little too complex for me to handle lol.

Moving onto the other stuff, I like Refresh more than Amie because, while the latter had minigames, you couldn't even pause them for no reason. B/ Plus getting max hearts was a pain, something Refresh fixed with rainbow beans. If anything, they made the whole thing better lmao. Super Training was also useless unless you wanted a certain EV spread since Hordes were undeniably superior in EV training. I agree that Hyper training could have done things a bit differently but I do love that you can max bad IVs now!

Z-moves wise, we had the Gen V gems doing something similar but I appreciate that every Pokemon can utilize them in some way unlike how Megas were handled. Like did we really need OP Pokemon more powerful? At least give more outclassed Pokemon Megas like how they handled Beedrill. Megas made competitive such a slog imo. At least with Gen V's weather dominance, you would find some fun creativity here and there.

As for the story, yeah they definitely could have toned down with the dialogue. Or at least make a skip button. SM and USUM released in 2016/2017 how was there not a Skip button implemented lol?

Don't know too much about Gen 7 but I honestly do not get the Alolan Forms at all. This is the one thing what I don't really like. And also why is it only the Gen 1 pokemon what get Alolan Forms anyway? Alolan Forms to me are like the Fairy Type. Another aspect what I have trouble liking.

I find Alolan Forms less appealing than the Gen 7 pokemon personally.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Blaze-Wartortle said:
And also why is it only the Gen 1 pokemon what get Alolan Forms anyway?

Kanto nostalgia pandering, which was en vogue when Sun and Moon were released since it was Red and Green's 20th anniversary.

ThroughTheIris56

TBH every single Pokemon in the games up to gen 5 lacked any 'personality' whatsoever. Static sprites with static poses(except when sent out in Emerald>Gen 4) didn't do a whole lot for the Pokemon in general. Gen 5 gave Pokemon actual personalities due to the moving sprites and Gen 6 furthered this with Pokemon Amie and the new 3D models.

Gotta say, I disagree with this a lot. Technically yes you can have more expression with animations, but realistically a lot of animations are very basic with a little swaying, and having a battle animation that conveys personality requires quite a bit of work. On the other and, earlier games such as GS had some really fantastic sprites, because not having to worry about animations means GF could draw Pokemon into cool poses that would otherwise look odd in a moving environment.

ThroughTheIris56

To be honest, Gen 7 has been one of the weaker generations for me design wise. While it was small, Gen 6 had a lot of awesome designs in it so my hopes were high, but Gen 7 was small had very few Pokemon I thought "wow I really want to use that". I don't find it bad in the sense that a lot of the Pokemon are awful looking, it's just that many of them I find mediocre. The only 2 that REALLY stand out to me are Salazzle and Golisopod. There are others I like but, nothing too much.

I understand they're meant to be otherworldly, but I still think most of the Ultra Beasts just look awful, and it doesn't help they make up quite a sizable chunk of the gen 7 Pokemon.

Lycanroc is a Pokemon I want to love because I love wolves and it's actually the first proper wolf Pokemon, but it just seems like it was drawn quickly. I still like it, but I just think they could have done a better job of it.

Also a thing I noticed that started in Gen 6, a lot of Pokemon names seem to be getting very lazy. It's just "take a word to do with the concept of the Pokemon, take a word to do with it's type, and stick em together". Then you get Talonflame, Tyrantrum, Mudsdale. A lot of these Pokemon have great designs but, the names really don't roll off the tongue.

When people say something like "you can't criticize something for not looking like a Pokemon, because anything can be a Pokemon", yes that is technically true, but that is only so because GF are the ones that decide what is Pokemon. If they really wanted to take could take a picture of a water bottle irl, tweak the image a tiny bit, put it in game and make it a Pokemon. It would still technically be a Pokemon, but most people would feel it is very out of place.

When people say something like "you can't criticize something for not looking like a Pokemon, because anything can be a Pokemon", yes that is technically true, but that is only so because GF are the ones that decide what is Pokemon. If they really wanted to take could take a picture of a water bottle irl, tweak the image a tiny bit, put it in game and make it a Pokemon. It would still technically be a Pokemon, but most people would feel it is very out of place.

Like Vanilluxe for example, and that isn't even Gen 7. That pokemon still gets a lot of hate. I still find him quite strange.

Anything can be a pokemon? So a human being could potentially if GF makes it so. That would be weird.