• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why gen 7 Pokemon don't appeal to me.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
I actually agree with most of the things. You know it's a problem when I can only name a small number of the Pokémon I do like (Rockruff and Lycanroc, Golisopod, Decidueye, Nihilego, Naganadel, Solgaleo), with the rest just being average to downright horrendous imo.

Yeah same here. The Pokémon is one thing, but I honestly really disliked the game as a whole with trials. Also, I know gen VI gets a lot of flack, but one thing it did really well was its extra features like Horde battles, Super Training, PSS, DexNav. Gen VII replaced them with crappier versions. I absolutely detest Festival Plaza and SOS battles.

I had a big post, but I ended up deleting it, so I'm just going to say I hated Gen 7 for the same reason I hated Gen 5. It removed every fricken diversion and replaced them with garbage. I actually liked the soccer minigame and the Amie minigames in Gen 6, the Super Bases in OR/AS, and I even liked Pokemon VR, too. Gen 5 had next to nothing outside Pokemon World Tournament, which I'm sorry but it's just not the Batte Frontier, and Triple and Rotation battes which Gen 6 carried over and Gen 7 REMOVED, and the incredibly shitty Pokemon Musical and Pokestar Studios! Oh boy, they brought back the Factory, big deal, that was my least favorite facility. Oh, they have Mantine Surfing, which will probably get boring soon. The only interesting looking diversion is Battle Royale, and that isn't enough IMO and, I could be wrong, but it looks like they removed it in US/UM.

Hyper Training is just super training with no fun minigames.
Pokemon Refresh is just Pokemon Amie with no fun minigames.
Pokemon Pelagion is a slow, no-gameplay sprite animation designed to get items.
Festival Plaza's an inconvenient online hub.
Also, the trials are just dungeons and the kahunas are just gym leaders. It's old features with a new name.

So this gen has a "Move along, nothing to see here" feel for me.

Overall, is the game balanced as is? No, there are definitely things that could be done to improve balance. I think the Ice type needs another resistance, I think Intimidate needs a bit of a nerf in doubles (for instance only hitting one random opponent), I think Dark Void needs a buff in singles back to like 85% accuracy, and there are several pokémon like Ledian that can use a buff, but the way Smogon tries to create balance is just weird. They try to still somewhat follow the game mechanics but instead of adapting mechanics or pokémon to create more balance if they want that they just divide them all into tiers and separate them, then introduce some weird rules like a sleep clause and ban Double Team.

Ice is the absolute best type offensively. ...Unfortunately it's also the WORST type defensively. I'm assuming that's what Game Freak was going for, but they sure as hell don't show it by trying to make so many defensive ice types and so few good offensive ones.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Removing Triple and Rotation battles is understandable. The battles already lags as it is in (U)SM with those trainer models and such. Having three Pokémon, especially some like Mega Blaziken and Ultra Necrozma on the same team, on the field would be horrendous to go through. I doubt anybody wants to sit through such a slog like that lol.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Then shouldn't we have at LEAST gotten something else in return instead of getting a bare-bones Pokemon experience like we did?

Scammel

My only concern are the games. Too much handholding tbh :/
I want it hard like gen1 had..

But Gen 1 is by far the easiest Gen, and Gen 7 is by far the hardest.

Then shouldn't we have at LEAST gotten something else in return instead of getting a bare-bones Pokemon experience like we did?

I have to ask, why are you playing Pokémon and not Mario party? Gen 7 has the best Pokémon battles in the entire series, and if you're not here for the battles, what are you here for? I can only assume you hate Gens 1 and 2 as well?

Erron Black

The Outlaw
TBH every single Pokemon in the games up to gen 5 lacked any 'personality' whatsoever. Static sprites with static poses(except when sent out in Emerald>Gen 4) didn't do a whole lot for the Pokemon in general. Gen 5 gave Pokemon actual personalities due to the moving sprites and Gen 6 furthered this with Pokemon Amie and the new 3D models.

I can see how you think Pokemon are starting to look less like Pokemon, I have that issue with Gen 4's Pokemon and I get ridiculed for it. I think Gen 6 has a great selection of Pokemon, but a good handful just don't have that charm, most notably being the Ultra Beasts.

I love the starters of this gen, they all have a very distinct personality and charm. The Tapus are great and all, but the only one that actually has that charm to me is Tapu Lele. Necrozma was terrible until USUM(Them making it the main antagonist was a refreshing thing IMO), and the cover legends are...okay? I love the designs but the personality and charm was given to Cosmog solely, which wasn't the best route to go about it imo.

Overall I love a lot of Gen 7 designs, but I can totally see why you don't particularly like them.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
But Gen 1 is by far the easiest Gen, and Gen 7 is by far the hardest.

I have to ask, why are you playing Pokémon and not Mario party? Gen 7 has the best Pokémon battles in the entire series, and if you're not here for the battles, what are you here for? I can only assume you hate Gens 1 and 2 as well?

The battles, but I also look for a little bit more to give it lasting appeal. If all it has to offer is more of the same: more broken stickfigures and a few new features that BARELY effect the gameplay (if at all) then why should I upgrade when a previous game has so much more to offer? For Gens 1 and 2, this was forgivable that it didn't have a lot past bare-bones battling. At this point there's no excuse.

Also, all Pokemon games are pretty easy.

Manchee

extra toasty
@MugoUrth, I really appreciate all of the points that you bring up in all your posts within this thread. I played through Sun when it first came out, and as soon as I beat the Elite Four, I put it down and never picked it back up. I kind of just... forgot about it, and when I think back to it remember not liking it much but never thought through why that is, and your posts gave me a lot of things to resonate with. When I think back to the Pokémon, specifically, I don't like many of them. I won't go as far to say that I hate them, because they're cute, but that's about all they are - little cute things that don't offer too much, in my opinion. I remember playing through at the same time as my ex, and they would always comment on how they loved ones like Ribombee and Araquanid, and I always thought to myself, Really? What makes either of them all that great?

When I think back to my other games and teams that I trained on them, I love what I ended up with, and they were always these boss Pokémon that felt like they could fight their way through some great battles. In Sun and Moon, I wouldn't trust any of my Pokémon to stand up to much from other regions. I can hardly even remember all of my team - there was no connection there, and I think that this time around, too many of the Pokémon weren't looked at competitively enough, sort of like what you mentioned. I'm not a heavily competitive person when it comes to Pokémon, but I at least know that my teams in games like White, X, and Y could hold their own in battle.

I'm not saying that all of the generation seven Pokémon are bad, and there are some that I really like, but overall I'm not as impressed, and I am very forgiving when it comes to Pokémon and their designs. For example, I look at many of the Ultra Beasts and think, What the h*ll were they thinking?, however, I think of them as beings from another dimension, so I don't expect them to remind me much of any legendary/mythical Pokémon we have gotten up to this point. (side note though while I'm on the topic of Ultra Beasts- I also do not like this generation as much because I don't feel like it expanded on any features from past games; I wanted to see more Mega Evolutions, not Z-Moves, and would have liked Alolan forms of Pokémon not just introduced in Kanto, because I actually really enjoyed that feature of these games)

Deadeye

H(a)unting...
"MugoUrth said:
Hyper Training is just super training with no fun minigames.
Pokemon Refresh is just Pokemon Amie with no fun minigames.
Pokemon Pelagion is a slow, no-gameplay sprite animation designed to get items.
Festival Plaza's an inconvenient online hub.
I'm going to agree on this one. The fun stuff was stripped away.

Erron Black said:
TBH every single Pokemon in the games up to gen 5 lacked any 'personality' whatsoever. Static sprites with static poses(except when sent out in Emerald>Gen 4) didn't do a whole lot for the Pokemon in general. Gen 5 gave Pokemon actual personalities due to the moving sprites and Gen 6 furthered this with Pokemon Amie and the new 3D models.

In my opinion the first gen sprites were quite expressive, even if static, you had to use your imagination to make them come alive. You had to give them personality yourself, of course it doesn't mean you can't do it in current games.
2nd gen ones weren't bad either, but speaking from personal perspective as a youngster I was more "open" to them than when 3rd-5th gen games came out. All "new" sprites were good compared to the old, but not all sprites remained good after seeing the new. Welcomed 3D sprites coming with 6th gen but sometimes everything seems so ready-made nowadays there's even less room to imagine yourself. It's suffocating. Might be a point of self-improvement for me however, but I wish games will never become too "ready-made" and "noob friendly"....

PrismaticPrincessAnna said:
Pokemon is still Pokemon...
My only concern are the games. Too much handholding tbh :/
I want it hard like gen1 had..

I agree. The new games are imho easier than old ones and it's probably not just about how exp share works in the new gens. I recall sometimes losing regular battles due to having underleveled mons or blacking out in the field just because my mons could faint out of poisoning and I had no items to cure them. Even if my team was good before facing Elite Four, I used to wipe a lot in older games during the league before winning it. I also usually didn't have enough money to buy enough recovery items. Nowadays anyone can wash the floor with the Elite Four members on their first try.
Also, although it's refreshing to break stereotypes, it's boring to have a nice rivals and neutral organization to fight. Gary/Blue and Silver managed to provoke emotions at least, the desire to compete! Same goes for uhh... Team Rocket and Plasma? Not saying the other teams were dull though.

MugoUrth said:
The battles, but I also look for a little bit more to give it lasting appeal. If all it has to offer is more of the same: more broken stickfigures and a few new features that BARELY effect the gameplay (if at all) then why should I upgrade when a previous game has so much more to offer?
Not sure if my insight is correct, but seems like it's just become popular choice in all media during the past few years, that they make all old games noob friendly. Therefore they must go back to basics but also pull something from the older games for older fans... and doing them both with profit in mind is where offering gets limited. "Must save some features to newer games/make fans keep wanting more" .... "actually, we planned to add them all but the current tech doesn't have resources to contain and run it all smoothly *snipping happens*" .... "Must rush making new games so we can compete with another company/brand and time release of this product to match with that movie, so it'll sell more effectively". That's business world, no matter whether the brand was for children or adults.

Stantlers

I like gen 7 designs, to me they are among the best pokemon introduced and WAY better than Kanto and Sinnoh bunch.

I dont like Lillie but Guzma is awesome. Honestly im not impressed by the plot, but its way better than XY. It didnt surprassed ORAS or BW

The low point is the region. Besides being an archipelago, nothing really stand out and theres a lot of inaccesible buildings just to make it look bigger. I dont. care for alolan forms, i'd rather new pokemons than rehashed old concepts with new types.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
I guess my whole gripe with Gen 7 is the lack of replayable post game.

- Sure Rainbow Rocket is cool but there should've been an ability to rematch them.
- The Pokemon are fun to use, but their designs are a bit overly complicated. Like really overly complicated.

Also for the last 3DS game, it was kind of weak. I was expecting Pokemon World Tournament to make a comeback or the ability to go to another region or walking pokemon.. something interesting. All we got though was a lazy remake.

Even ORAS wasn't that bad of a remake. (And ORAS lacked BF!)

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I like a good number of Generation VII Pokemon, especially Primarina, Vikavolt, Golisopod, Lycanroc (Midday and Dusk), Decidueye, and Silvally, but there are a few ones I really dislike (Incineroar, Turtonator, Bruxish, Crabominable). I wish they had better Speed, though. The Alolan Forms are a neat idea, but I dislike the fact only Kanto Pokemon got them, and Alolan Dugtrio, Raticate (Rattata is alright) and Persian look hideous to me. The fact that there is no National Dex in the games irks me a lot, and I hope they won't exclude it ever again, but with their current mindset, my hopes may be futile.

Blitz Lucario

To be honest Generation VII is the first batch of games I didn't enjoy, the main reason being the story isn't that good. Why? Because the whole story revolves around Lilly, not the player character. Compared to other games Gen VII doesn't feel like my story...

I have loved every game in the series...except Sun/Moon. I really wanted to love Sun/Moon just like the others but it just fell flat. The removal of gyms was the first fault. On the topic of pokemon designs, most of them ranged from forgettable to terrible. A few standouts like Salazzle, Lycanroc and Golisopod were nice. I liked the idea behind the Alolan forms but that kind of disinterested me fairly quickly. The region itself felt forgettable, and even the soundtrack was subpar from what I'm used to expecting. But again. On the topic of the designs, I do feel that, overall, this has been the worst gen for new designs. I thought 6's was fairly weak, and also 4 was not as great as 1-2-3-5. Coupled with the fact that the new pokemon have largely fell flat to me, as I'm playing through the game, beyond the first 6 or so pokemon you encounter...where are the rest? I mean they're there, but the encounter rate is so low for most of them. The legendaries and ultra beasts have some of the worst designs in the series in my opinion.

Vroomer

You need to strengthen the bonds between you and your Pokemon.

This thread is TL;DR. Just read the OP's title and as a Gen1er, I must chime in. Buckle up. It's gonna be a quick-ish post.

In order of Best to Worst Gen Pokemon, when rating the generations as a whole and the games and all things considered, etc, ad nausem, ad infinitum...
Best
GEN 1
GEN 3
GEN 6 (Go fight the XY elite 4 again before responding to my ranking in this post.)
GEN 2
GEN 7
GEN 4
GEN 5
Sewer

Now, my BIGGEST hate for Gen 5 is the fact these games were released and the change as far as mechanics, graphics, etc from GEN 4 is a PUSH at best. GEN 5 under utilizes the platform of the DS, 2DS, and 3DS systems. The Pokemon from GEN 5 don't do that much for me either.

GEN 2 and GEN 4 are what I will call "CAPSTONE" generations. They are meant to close the loop on evolutions. Therefore, they do not have a lot of native Pokemon in them. Having been typed, some of my favorite Legendaries are from these Gens... HO-OH.... Currently Shiny hunting a Palkia in Ultra Moon.

Now... if you are h8t'in on GEN 7, you obviously have not played the games.
These games are not a walk in the park. GEN6, with O-Powers (and withOUT O-powers) is a cake walk. GENs 1-4 are a grind fest after a certain gym. I can't bring myself to go back, figure out, and play GEN5 games. GEN 6 is scaled nicely and easily for you. Shiny hunting is a breeze. GEN6 is the HERE IS YOUR MEDAL series.

In GEN 7, you gotta use your brain and think about how to make it work and win. I lost ZERO gym battles in Gen 6. I lost ZERO fainted Pokemon in gym battles in GEN6. This is after beating XY 3 times and ORAS 3 times.

GEN 7 is a NAIL BITER. I regularly lose 2 to 3 Pokemon during an Island challenge. (DON'T get me twisted. I loathe many things about these games. That's another post and another thread.)
This is with my team set for fun. If you're not 1 hitting their team with my lead Pokemon, Crap is getting real... REAL fast. It is going down. With all the crap I hate about GEN 7, the DIFFICULTY curve, HARD bosses, LEVELING, etc. The Pokemon company got SOMETHING right.... FINALLY. (more than I can say for the Force of Will Company or WotC... I digress.)

So, as a GEN1er, for all the HATE out there for GEN 7, the difficulty level of GEN 7 is a WELCOMED change to things. Versus the MYRIAD of GEN7 problems: Lack of... NATIONAL DEX, D pad movement support, PSS, addition of the Festival (WTF IS THIS HOT GARBAGE FIRE?!?), removal of mini games, no National Dex, non FLIGHT control while FLYING in Ultra Space (Seriously. ... WTF! X-WING, TIE Fighter, & X-WING VS. TIE pilot here....), no gyms, no national DEX, have I mentioned no National Dex yet? Asking because if I catch something without a Dex number, I trade it.. or I faint it. It serves ZERO use to me. The LACK of National DEX in GEN7 is the reason I did NOT transfer my Living Dex from BANK to GEN7.

Now. As for best GEN7 character.... HAPU is Boss. She is the AWESOME SAUCE on a BAMF all rolled into one. She comes across, to me, as a rock solid leader. I'm totally Team HAPU here. If you are not on Team Hapu, go punch yourself in the face for being lame and dumb. (DISCLAIMER: I have not seen any of the anime. I do not know how she is voiced or portrayed.)

I like a good number of Generation VII Pokemon, especially Primarina, Vikavolt, Golisopod, Lycanroc (Midday and Dusk), Decidueye, and Silvally, but there are a few ones I really dislike (Incineroar, Turtonator, Bruxish, Crabominable)..

Okay. MidNIGHT form Lycanroc is BAMF. The other forms are lame.

Go make one Midnight form and one Day from. Use Rock Tomb from both.

Who does it best?

Last edited:

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
You need to strengthen the bonds between you and your Pokemon.

This thread is TL;DR. Just read the OP's title and as a Gen1er, I must chime in. Buckle up. It's gonna be a quick-ish post.

Edit: Oh, you said YOU were the Genwunner. Nevermind.

I do admire challenge in Pokemon games, but, if you ask me, Pokemon games were never that hard. As a kid I had problems with Gen 1 games, but now I can breeze through them. That being said, I did feel like later gen games were a bit TOO easy, so I do appreciate the challenge. ...But if that's all that gen 7 really has to offer, then I'm going to resume skipping it. I mean, the removal of national dex, mini games and such is a HUGE scare for me.

Last edited:

Ditto B1tch

Been a Pokémon player since the good ol' days of Red and Blue, and IMO, the designs of the gen 7 Pokémon are great to me.
You're trolling or you can't notice the huge difference of the designs between early generations and Gen 6 & 7

I personally find Gen 7 to have one of the best designed rosters in the series.
In my most honest opinion, when it comes to design, Gen 7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gen 1.
There is a limit on saying something is good or bad EVEN when that's your opinion, and clearly you don't know how classify a design at being good or bad

Vroomer

You're trolling or you can't notice the huge difference of the designs between early generations and Gen 6 & 7

There is a limit on saying something is good or bad EVEN when that's your opinion, and clearly you don't know how classify a design at being good or bad

^
This.

The jump from Gen 1/2 to Gen 3 is very noticeable. The PC storage is where I gauge the design the most. The lack of a jump from Gen 3 to Gen 4/5 is so disappointing. Also, the graphics from Gen 4/5 for what the DS/2DS is & can do is disappoint as well.

Gen 6 is amazing.

Gen 7 is a push, at best. Most of the “design” is lost to soooooo many dang cut scenes. (Mary Sue/Gary Stu it up!) Also, functionality is lost/hidden behind veneers: the (stupid) festival. The festival is utter, in Japanese, ‘bah-kah-dah’. You gut the PSS for the festival? Lamest of the lame. And Nationa Dex removal?

If there are any games & generations one is refusing to play, it should be Gen 5.

Scammel

This is a troll post, right? No-one's actually that childish enough to write 'UR OPINYUN IS DUMB', right?

I like the Gen 7 species pool as a small but focused selection that does a good job of invoking the native region. Better than Gen IV (but that's not too difficult) and broadly on par with III and VI.

Last edited:

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
This is a troll post, right? No-one's actually that childish enough to write 'UR OPINYUN IS DUMB', right?

I like the Gen 7 species pool as a small but focused selection that does a good job of invoking the native region. Better than Gen IV (but that's not too difficult) and broadly on par with III and VI.

My problem is just how undiverse it is, though I've already kind of made my case.

I agree with you on Ditto "Swear-filter-bypass"'s post though.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

I see you've deliberately left out the portion of my post where I made that classification.

If you're going to criticize a person's statement, try offering a modicum of honesty.