• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why hasn't the magna been made a television series, yet?

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Sometimes the mangaka even state that they never want to have their series adapted for television.
They probably saw the YGO anime along with its 1998 version and got scared.

That said, I admit I'm still hoping for an OVA or a drama CD. And I'm slightly perplexed that there isn't at least SOME minor merchandise, like maybe a character bio book or something like that.
A complete guide book about the world of Pokemon Special would be completely AWESOME. Kind of like Dragon Ball and its Daizenshuu books.

Last edited:

Ememew

Emerald Mew
And just to note, there are plenty of popular manga series that never become manga. Sometimes the mangaka even state that they never want to have their series adapted for television. As much as I'd love a PokeSpe anime, I've long since accepted that it'll never officially happen and will always enjoy the manga.

That said, I admit I'm still hoping for an OVA or a drama CD. And I'm slightly perplexed that there isn't at least SOME minor merchandise, like maybe a character bio book or something like that.

Out of curiosity, has this ever been stated in regards to Pokemon Special or the other Pokemon manga series?

EDIT: I'd enjoy an unlikely anime, but an OVA would be nice. At least if there was some animated version of it, this topic wouldn't keep being brought up every few months. The point of the various manga, in my opinion, is that there's a version of the franchise to satisfy almost any fan. It would be nice if the anime would take this route as well and have a little variety, but it's pretty unlikely.

Last edited:

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Out of curiosity, has this ever been stated in regards to Pokemon Special or the other Pokemon manga series?

None that I know of.

In fact, I think Hidenori and Satoshi would be ecstatic and rather proud to hear that their manga series is being turned into an anime.

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
one thing i need to point out: THIS IS MANGA. IT IS NOT FULL COLOR. Parents wouldn't mind if it was in B/w, but in full color.....no.*Especially Koga;s Arbok*
How the hell does that make any difference? If that was true then there wouldn't be manga censorship, but there sure is. And if someone finds something offensive it doesn't matter if it's in book form or tv form, or black and white or color. Simple as that.

And I agree with everyone else that Special isn't nearly as violent as some people are trying to make it seem. It's not much worse than a lot of what's already out there anyway.

But my point was more that it seems like everyone who says that Special should be an anime has to include a swipe at the current one, to denigrate it as much as possible. Can't you just say "it should be an anime" and leave it at that?
Ah, my bad then. And hmm, you make a good point. That's true. I guess people just feel the need to bring it up as to give their argument more power. (and plus a lot of people who read any of the Pokemon mangas tend to realize how much more the current anime could do if they really tried) Like, as to say why have something bad when you could have something good instead or as well? It makes sense to back up your statement with a reason (or reasons) why you think it should happen or deserves to happen.

Not to mention, controversy always sparks an interest in somebody and does the exact opposite of turning people away.
Exactly. Controversy is usually pretty beneficial to the popularity of something, not damaging.

A complete guide book about the world of Pokemon Special would be completely AWESOME. Kind of like Dragon Ball and its Daizenshuu books.
Agreed.

At least if there was some animated version of it, this topic wouldn't keep being brought up every few months. The point of the various manga, in my opinion, is that there's a version of the franchise to satisfy almost any fan. It would be nice if the anime would take this route as well and have a little variety, but it's pretty unlikely.
That's true, lol. Or even if some reason was stated as to why there isn't one and/or won't be one would help too. And that's what I've always thought the point of the various Pokemon manga is as well. And I agree that it would be nice if the anime could take this route as well, but you're right that it's pretty unlikely sadly.

In fact, I think Hidenori and Satoshi would be ecstatic and rather proud to hear that their manga series is being turned into an anime.
I think so too! I think it would be very rare a mangaka (or group of mangakas) wouldn't be happy with an anime adaptation of their work. Mainly because if they were I don't think they would agree to it in the first place.

Due to the confusing way PokeSpe is released in the magazines, I think an anime series adaptation would be a bad idea. We're never sure about the timeline until like two years later when the volumes come out. And since whatever is shown on television is basically a glorified commercial for the latest games, nobody on the anime staff would wait that long. We'd end up with a bunch of plot holes and filler.

There would be less fan-b*tching if we got an OVA. If we got an anime, we'd all be screaming, "OMG THEY CHANGED SOMETHING RUINED FOREVER!"

I honestly don't know what Kusaka-sensei and Yamamoto-sensei would say if they got an offer but it is unlikely if they ever got any to begin with due to the current anime...

Hey, I remember there being a Q&A on the netkun site. Anybody know any Japanese and can ask if they'd ever do it if they got the chance?

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I thought that a Pokemon Special anime would have been great a long time ago, but I've changed my mind about that recently. As much as I like the series, I don't think I'd bother watching an anime adaptation of it. I've been watching the original Pokemon anime for more than 10 years and I doubt that I'd pay much attention to a second anime series focusing on the events from Pokemon Special. I guess I've just grown too used to the original anime so anything else would seem sort of pointless to me.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
(and plus a lot of people who read any of the Pokemon mangas tend to realize how much more the current anime could do if they really tried)
This is actually pretty true. It doesn't help that the earlier parts of the anime didn't feel all that different from retro Pokemon manga like Zensho or the first several chapters of Special (before the plot became clear). I guess the fact that the writers decided to extend the anime and create a trite formula after the intended 81 episodes+movie disappointed some fans, especially when they've read the various Pokemon manga. It's not bad, but the anime's episodic nature made quite a number of new episodes seem suspiciously familiar after a certain point. Unique and rather creative episodes like EP017 and EP020 just don't happen anymore. At least, not on a regular basis. The anime does feel like it has a lot of hidden potential that it just refuses to use.

Due to the confusing way PokeSpe is released in the magazines, I think an anime series adaptation would be a bad idea. We're never sure about the timeline until like two years later when the volumes come out. And since whatever is shown on television is basically a glorified commercial for the latest games, nobody on the anime staff would wait that long. We'd end up with a bunch of plot holes and filler.
If they did decide to make a Special anime now, they would be so far behind that there wouldn't even need to be filler.

...Five bucks that if it's given to ShoPro, they'll probably try to insert Generation 5 Pokemon into the Red, Blue, and Green arc.

There would be less fan-b*tching if we got an OVA. If we got an anime, we'd all be screaming, "OMG THEY CHANGED SOMETHING RUINED FOREVER!"
Well, the thought that we would ever even get it anyway might keep people from moaning about small changes. The same thing happened with FMA: Brotherhood. People moaned about the minor changes made to the manga's content, but they weren't as vocal as the people who appreciated getting a faithful adaptation after all of that time spent with the first FMA anime.

Hey, I remember there being a Q&A on the netkun site. Anybody know any Japanese and can ask if they'd ever do it if they got the chance?
I might give it a try some time, but my Japanese is admittedly rather broken at times. I need someone to confirm if this question is grammatically correct.

いつか。。。 ポケモンスペシャルのアニメが作成されます。あなたは幸せだろうか?

'Cos there's no way in hell that PUSA would deem it fit for kids to watch. I mean it's one of the most violent manga I've ever read!

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
'Cos there's no way in hell that PUSA would deem it fit for kids to watch. I mean it's one of the most violent manga I've ever read!

First of all, it's TCPi

Second, since when have they EVER made an anime?

Never

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
First of all, TPCi dubs the anime. It does not produce it.

lawd "pusa japan"

Secondly, if it's the most violent manga you've ever read, you must be extremely sheltered.

RocketTwurpSLR

pokemonmaniacSLR
its because we already have an anime

my bet is that after the anime finishes they will probably make it into an anime

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
its because we already have an anime

my bet is that after the anime finishes they will probably make it into an anime

This manga is as old as the actual anime

Faaaaaaaaar too late to start it up

SNaG

Stardust Mirage!!
Quite simply, just because it's a good manga (and, in my opinion, a very good one at that), doesn't necessitate an animé counterpart. Several users above pretty much stated the main reasons why I in fact love the Special. It's different, not repetitive, and so on. Simply put, it's not a great financial decision for Nintendo to make a series solely for that - imagine going back to Red and Blue arc of the manga. Hell, I haven't seen a Kanto Pokémon episode on TV for a long time. More people these days are concerned with Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Black, and White, and that's what's gonna be more familiar to them. Would a Special animé be great? It'd be fun to watch, but it'd be so out of place.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
I still don't see why people think there's some unwritten rule that there should only be one Pokemon anime. There are tons and tons of Pokemon games and tons and tons of Pokemon manga. Why should there only be one Pokemon anime at a time?

At least SNaG brings up a much better argument for the possibility being extremely low - if they start up a Special anime now, it would be five generations behind the current anime, and you know how the anime producers like to kiss Nintendo's ass with product placement.

Though, another studio might be able to take it up. It's not like the intent will always have to do with marketing the games - and the mangaka and publishers still get profit from giving them the rights to make an anime. Besides, it would still get people interested in the franchise as a whole - I don't see it as a bad thing if they start from the beginning.

SNaG

Stardust Mirage!!
Though, another studio might be able to take it up. It's not like the intent will always have to do with marketing the games - and the mangaka and publishers still get profit from giving them the rights to make an anime. Besides, it would still get people interested in the franchise as a whole - I don't see it as a bad thing if they start from the beginning.

You make an excellent point there. If another studio did pick it up, that will solve all the problems of generation displacement, different demographics, and so on.

legendarypokemonmaster

It could become an awesome tv series and air on something like toonami, if it was still around, but they won't do that because they already have an anime with a very slow, simple, boring plot that appeals to millions of kids.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
It could become an awesome tv series and air on something like toonami, if it was still around, but they won't do that because they already have an anime with a very slow, simple, boring plot that appeals to millions of kids.

Ahem:

I still don't see why people think there's some unwritten rule that there should only be one Pokemon anime. There are tons and tons of Pokemon games and tons and tons of Pokemon manga. Why should there only be one Pokemon anime at a time?

Seriously, guys. That's like saying no more Pokemon manga can be created just because we already have, like, 20 of them. That logic is extremely silly.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Here we go again....

I would love a drama CD or a character/world book. Heck, releasing a drama CD or a drama show on the radio can garner how much the audience likes it. (Which happens with with a few manga --> anime adaptations.) But, really, I just want some kind of merchandise; no Pokemon manga (excluding the ani-manga) seems to have any, sadly.

I honestly don't know what Kusaka-sensei and Yamamoto-sensei would say if they got an offer but it is unlikely if they ever got any to begin with due to the current anime...

I don't think that'll be a problem as even if they do catch up they can delay the next arc until it's all out in volumes. If there's one thing about PokeSpe that anime companies could benefit from is that they don't have to worry about the anime catching up and them having to make up an ending. After all, each arc can have its own mini-title like the original anime does now.

I don't think they ever got one either. Their series is probably very low on the radar compared to all the Jump series and moe series coming out. Companies should do a poll to see how well another Pokemon anime is wanted by the citizens of Japan.

I think it might have to do with that two anime until the same series title is really rare. Most of the time, when one series ends the other begins (like Gundam) and, personally, I haven't ever heard of two same titled series running at the same time happening before. Then again, most same titled series are done by the same studios. Not to say it can't happen, of course. It would be nice for it to happen as Pokemon has the world that can be played with and not be confused over.

I would love for another studio to take it up; it'll offer more diversity to the canon than if the studio that does the original anime does it, plus it'll allow it to actually get a chance. I wouldn't mind companies like Bones do take a stab at it. That said, I don't see them starting from the beginning that bad either. It'll be good for the younger generation to know where the roots come from instead of always being in the future.

First of all, TPCi dubs the anime. It does not produce it.

Secondly, if it's the most violent manga you've ever read, you must be extremely sheltered.

I never said that TCPi produced anime. I ment that even if such a series was produced, there's no way TCPi would dub it. Think before you reply.

And I'm not sheltered, I'm just into rom-coms in which the closest thing to violence is a chick punching the male protagonist skyward for accidentally groping her.

Last edited:

Masteryoshimon

PokeAnalyzer
Ah, surprised that this garnered a lot of discussion
Thank god Evilchibi_pichu and 1dbad already said what I wanted to say
Because I'm still jetlagged, I want to make this short and simple:

A friend and I were talking about this the other day
And we concluded that unless there was an upsurge movement in Japan there are no chances that PokeSpec will get an anime
Despite my love for PokeSpec, and my extreme dislike for the current anime, the current anime is way too popular to be replaced, and it's unlikely that two animes are going to running simultaneously, it would just confuse the general audience

But the point that if another company runs it is interesting
It's never been done before (in my knowledge) but then again it's extremely unlikely
I don't know how willing they are to make money, but the project would most likely crash because of people confusing the two animes
And if the project fails the first time, it's probably not going to run a second time, even if the first anime ends

I would like to see a group, with enough dedication, to create a fanime of PokeSpec
I know that it's been attempted before, but it would be nice, if people actually had dedication

And actually I wouldn't like an OVA, it'd just make me want an actually anime more XD

(end post, nice and simple)