• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why have the writers reduced the battles of captures?

J-boogie200

I always found it interesting how we rarley get battles when a pokemon is caught anymore.

I hope Dawn does it with Togekiss.

It's not that I like seeing a pokemon become vulnerable, it just makes the capture more worth the wait.

I loved the way Ash got Squirtle and Gible and how Misty got Poliwag and Horsea though.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Looking back I actually don't think Ash caught too many of his Pokemon the traditional way. It seems the Pokemon he captures either consent or are captured off screen by a large margin. That kind of falls in line with his whole " Pokemon are Friends, not Tools " kind of philosophy. He doesn't want to force Pokemon to join him. That kind of behavior kind of rubbed off on his friends so they adopted it over time, too.

Dawn in particular caught her first 3 Pokemon (Buneary, Pachirisu, and Buizel) through battling. Her next three Pokemon (Apiom, Cyndaquil, and Swinub) were not battled even though Dawn battled to win Cyndaquil. It seems that Togekiss can go either way.

Personally I don't mind if they forgo the formal battle long as the capture episode is interesting.

V Faction

www.faction.com
Looking back I actually don't think Ash caught too many of his Pokemon the traditional way. It seems the Pokemon he captures either consent or are captured off screen by a large margin. That kind of falls in line with his whole " Pokemon are Friends, not Tools " kind of philosophy. He doesn't want to force Pokemon to join him. That kind of behavior kind of rubbed off on his friends so they adopted it over time, too.

Dawn in particular caught her first 3 Pokemon (Buneary, Pachirisu, and Buizel) through battling. Her next three Pokemon (Apiom, Cyndaquil, and Swinub) were not battled even though Dawn battled to win Cyndaquil. It seems that Togekiss can go either way.

Personally I don't mind if they forgo the formal battle long as the capture episode is interesting.

But that's just me. And An00bis too.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I won't be surprised if Dawn will get the Togekiss without any battle. The writers are probably want to make a different plot in the captures, if all the pokemon captures were with fights, all the storyline was the same. I think that characters should capture the pokemon with a fight, it's more interesting.

NES

Flip me to the side!
They have tried to start with the backstory stuff with each pokemon by giving them something more than Ash just finding them at random (like Caterpie, Primeape).

Also the capture battles aren't that entertaining because you know Ash won't fail, he maybe failed to capture some pokemon, but you know when he is going to get certain one for sure.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
They have tried to start with the backstory stuff with each pokemon by giving them something more than Ash just finding them at random (like Caterpie, Primeape).

Also the capture battles aren't that entertaining because you know Ash won't fail, he maybe failed to capture some pokemon, but you know when he is going to get certain one for sure.

Five Words! "A RIVALRY TO GIBLE ON!"

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Dawn in particular caught her first 3 Pokemon (Buneary, Pachirisu, and Buizel) through battling. Her next three Pokemon (Aipom, Cyndaquil, and Swinub) were not battled even though Dawn battled to win Cyndaquil. It seems that Togekiss can go either way.

This. Though, didn't Ash battled against Aipom to catch it?

Anyways, AuraMasrer, that was because that Gible was not going to be Ash's. If it were, then he wouldn't fail. Even if he failed, he would get it eventually.

rocky505

Ash failed to capture the fearow at the end of the first season

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
They probably do it to build Pokemon and human friendship's and all that other good stuff. I don't mind either since a Pokemon's a Pokemon regardless of whether you catch it by battle, befriending, hatching, winning it as a prize, trading, or it simply follow's you because it has nothing better to do with it's life.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
This. Though, didn't Ash battled against Aipom to catch it?

Yes, and Apiom all but said that she wanted to join Ash before that point. Same with Turtwig, Bulbasaur, and a few others that were battled and captured. The regional birds (Pidgeotto, Starly, Taillow) are usually " forced " to join, though.

Ash failed to capture the fearow at the end of the first season

Ash didn't really want Fearow. He made an attempt to capture Fearow because he thought that was the only way to solve the problem. Eventually he did solve the problem by leaving Pidgeot there to protect the flock. Since Pidgeot is there was no need to pin on a capture for Fearow and the concept was forgotten.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Ash doesnt even seem to want to do the whole "battle before capture thing" all the grass starters & aipom seemed to want to test Ash out, Pidgeotto, Taillow and Corphish were being hostile and anybody else just got a ball thrown at their heads

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Unfortunately you can't have a great episode like that for each capture, also he didn't catch that Gible!

But Khoury did, and he was kind of a major character, if only for 4-5 episodes :p

I'm actually glad the major character don't always battle the Pokemon they keep. It's too much like the games, and I rather see some new material anyway. It's fun to see how the writer's plan out the captures, like Gible for example. It was captured in the episode after it debuted, similar to Aipom though Aipom wasn't captured for several episodes after it's debut but you get the point.

cazatron

he was all about the battlecapture when he started, that pidgey (fail), pidgeotto, bulbasaur, (krabby?), primape, muk. i agree with what someone said before, it's to re-enforce the friends not tools philosophy. i would like to see a few more, a rivalry to gible on was really cool

Torpoleon

Maybe the writers have gotten lazy? I don't know, although something like when Ash got Chimchar, I wouldn't have expected a battle to ensue. Dawn probably would get Togekiss without a battle though. At least ones like when Dawn got Buizel were interesting.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
When they run out of ideas than they might have just battles.

Torpoleon

To me, it doesn't really matter if the Pokemon are caught from a battle or not. I'd just want the Pokemon to get caught like if Dawn does get a Togekiss in DP171, I don't care if she battles it or not, just so long as she gets it in that episode.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Is i because the Slogan *Gotta Catch 'em All!* has been dropped? Ash has caught significantly low amount of Pokemon since Johto because he's focusing on them as individuals! What better way to do this than have only 5/6 Captures....

V Faction

www.faction.com
Is i because the Slogan *Gotta Catch 'em All!* has been dropped? Ash has caught significantly low amount of Pokemon since Johto because he's focusing on them as individuals! What better way to do this than have only 5/6 Captures....
A couple of things...

1. The catch phrase "Gotta Catch 'Em All" is a completely fabricated Western slogan made for audiences overseas. It has no bearing whatsoever on the original production. Thus, when it was phased out, nothing happened.

2. We aren't talking about the amount of Pokemon, but rather the way they are captured. Specifically, we're comparing traditional capturing methods (like what you do when you face wild Pokemon in the games) versus the 'peaceful, make friends' approach that Ash institutes.

3. He's always treated them like individuals, from Day 1 (well, more like Day 2). They get shown respect whether he captures them like normal or invites them to come along.

Personally, I like the captures that are completely outside our expectations. Ash had to capture Snorlax to stop it from eating. He hatched Phanpy as an egg, but couldn't get it on his team right away. Chimchar was invited to tag along, but it had to leave Paul's team first. One of these days I'd like a Pokemon to casually walk up to a Poke Ball and let itself get caught completely out of the blue.