• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Ash not "allowed" to win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
There you have it...and that's why I don't like it at all: it also doesn't excuse terrible English dubbing as well- the Pokemon dub has fallen to an abysmal standard in XY and it's pretty unbearable to watch- the voices don't fit the main characters' ages, the script writing is wooden and any attempts at humor are not amusing in the slightest, while music is poorly composed and lazily rushed together at the least minute when it comes to the openings/endings.

Heck, even the episode titles have gotten worse.

No, it wouldn't: what would rectify it is if Ash became a Pokemon Master and the show had an actual reboot.

Yeah, this is spot on, really: it's more or less how I feel as well.

And that's pretty much the main reason why I ditched the dub. The original Japanese VA's are pretty awesome and the music really helps build the atmosphere. No matter what anyone says to me, TCPi is s**t compared to 4kids, which is saying a lot.

Well, we can't have everything. Winning a league conference would be great progress right about now.

Yeah, it's sad if the easiest way to define a character is by their crappy running gags.

And that's pretty much the main reason why I ditched the dub. The original Japanese VA's are pretty awesome and the music really helps build the atmosphere. No matter what anyone says to me, TCPi is s**t compared to 4kids, which is saying a lot.

Well, we can't have everything. Winning a league conference would be great progress right about now.

Yeah, it's sad if the easiest way to define a character is by their crappy running gags.

I agree on the dub, and same: I'm watching the Original Japanese Version nowadays because I can't take anymore of TPCi's dubbing- the only voice I'm bothered by is Nyasu's, but it's still more tolerable than Carter Cathcart/Jimmy Zoppi's take on him.

I'm not opposed to that, but he should definitely win a League Conference soon- it's been like 17 years now...I mean, really, writers?

Exactly!

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I agree on the dub, and same: I'm watching the Original Japanese Version nowadays because I can't take anymore of TPCi's dubbing- the only voice I'm bothered by is Nyasu's, but it's still more tolerable than Carter Cathcart/Jimmy Zoppi's take on him.

I'm not opposed to that, but he should definitely win a League Conference soon- it's been like 17 years now...I mean, really, writers?

Exactly!

Yeah, the voice acting is so pathetic! It's literally like I can see the so-called 'voice actors' reading the dialogs off their shoddily written script. It's really hard to watch something that just screams 'low effort'.

Yeah, I get what you mean. When I heard that Ash lost to Cameron of all people in the goddamn Top Eight, I didn't know whether I should smash my phone or laugh hysterically.

"Hey dude, who was that Brock guy again?" "Oh, you mean that pervert?"

"Man, I'm so sick of TR!" "What, the ones who keep blasting off or the ones who try to pull some cool s**t and then blast off?"

"Hey, what do you think about that Clem-"

Yeah, I think my views on this are clear.

Yeah, the voice acting is so pathetic! It's literally like I can see the so-called 'voice actors' reading the dialogs off their shoddily written script. It's really hard to watch something that just screams 'low effort'.

Yeah, I get what you mean. When I heard that Ash lost to Cameron of all people in the goddamn Top Eight, I didn't know whether I should smash my phone or laugh hysterically.

"Hey dude, who was that Brock guy again?" "Oh, you mean that pervert?"

"Man, I'm so sick of TR!" "What, the ones who keep blasting off or the ones who try to pull some cool s**t and then blast off?"

"Hey, what do you think about that Clem-"

Yeah, I think my views on this are clear.

Exactly: it's even worse than fandubs I've seen online, which is just sad.

The Unova League was just tragic...enough said: I agree wholeheartedly...Cameron didn't even know that the League wasn't in Johto and how many Pokemon he had to use...horrid.

Self-explanatory, really: gags defining characters is really depressing, and once again, I agree.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
He would finally make it past the tournament and enter the Champions league. It would be a pretty big step in facing an elite four member. Especially if he manages to win against one or two.

And then afterwards he'd have to collect Badges for another 3-4 years and then likely lose to the Elite Four a second time and start over again, and so on and so forth. Hence why I don't see the point of the Champion League; it would just be another waste of time.

Teebu

Its actually hard to believe the writers had Ash come in Top 8 in 3 different leagues, (Johto, Hoenn and Unova).

I mean its ridiculous, why have him come in the same Top 8 rank 3 different times?

It pretty much confirms what we know, they didn't expect the Anime to be the hit that it was and had no idea to stick or twist with the characters they had developed so ended up doing neither, there was no reason from a story point of view to have him stagnate like that after the promising start they had made. I thought when they built his team up so well in sinnoh that they were finally going to push him on until they introduced Tobias, it was always going to end badly but even then i wasnt too unhappy, until BW happened that is.

It's sad because of how true it is. Then again, the saga right after Ash's victory against Paul was BW, which I refused to believe ever happened(except for the 'Zard coming back and Krookodile).

In that case, it wasn't too far off...just around 50 or so episodes.

BW was so random from a continuity point of view, it still amazes me that they did it & still have fans. Gluttons for punishment, the lot of us xD

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I still don't get why the Unova League gets crucified so much. I mean Ash's downfall there was foreshadowed by his mediocre team; only Pignite, Krookodile and Pikachu really shone there, so Ash making Top 8 was realistic and I had no problem with his placement. :x

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Exactly: it's even worse than fandubs I've seen online, which is just sad.

The Unova League was just tragic...enough said: I agree wholeheartedly...Cameron didn't even know that the League wasn't in Johto and how many Pokemon he had to use...horrid.

Self-explanatory, really: gags defining characters is really depressing, and once again, I agree.

Even parodies like Pokémon 'bridged have more of an effort put in them, which is even worse. At least the jokes are funny.

Yeah, when I heard this match was to be with Cameron, I thought it was because the writers had screwed with Ash so bad that they knew they'd need to give him a weak opponent. Then I read that he only brought 5 Pokémon, and I knew this would be an easy win. Then I heard that Ash lost.

Seriously, you wouldn't believe how absolutely confused I was! They gave Ash the dumbest and weakest rival in the entire saga and he still lost! That was almost as bad as Pikachu losing to Trip in the beginning.

I still don't get why the Unova League gets crucified so much. I mean Ash's downfall there was foreshadowed by his mediocre team; only Pignite, Krookodile and Pikachu really shone there, so Ash making Top 8 was realistic and I had no problem with his placement. :x

Considering how he acted in the region itself, sure, but him actually regressing from his Sinnoh League ranking was pretty frustrating...that, and Cameron being a complete idiot...not that Tobias was much better in terms of him popping up last minute and demolishing Ash because hey, he can't win!

Even parodies like Pokémon 'bridged have more of an effort put in them, which is even worse. At least the jokes are funny.

Yeah, when I heard this match was to be with Cameron, I thought it was because the writers had screwed with Ash so bad that they knew they'd need to give him a weak opponent. Then I read that he only brought 5 Pokémon, and I knew this would be an easy win. Then I heard that Ash lost.

Seriously, you wouldn't believe how absolutely confused I was! They gave Ash the dumbest and weakest rival in the entire saga and he still lost! That was almost as bad as Pikachu losing to Trip in the beginning.

Ash and Delia's voices are very grating in Poke'Bridged for me, albeit clearly intentionally as the actor tries to play up Ash's stupidity to eleven and Delia sounds less manly than Sarah Natochenny's does but still overly masculine, but it's pretty sad the abridged Professor Oak, Brock, Misty, and Max's voices sound much closer to their 4Kids English voices than the TPCi voice actors do for those characters...and more age appropriate for that matter. Yes, the jokes are actually funny (even "husks of corn"), unlike the current dub's which resort to various infantile radisms for Ash and alliterations for Team Rocket that are apparently supposed to make us laugh, but instead make me cringe.

I feel your pain: the League was a train wreck by all accounts, enough said.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
All the BW reboot proved is that Ash is not going anywhere and should have been wrapped up at the end of DP.

By the end of DP the anime had run for 13 years, that would have been enough. By the time XY ends we'll be at the 20th anniversary. If that's not a good stopping point for Ash I don't know what it is.

All the BW reboot proved is that Ash is not going anywhere and should have been wrapped up at the end of DP.

By the end of DP the anime had run for 13 years, that would have been enough. By the time XY ends we'll be at the 20th anniversary. If that's not a good stopping point for Ash I don't know what it is.
I couldn't agree more with everything you just said, honestly, and plus they should've had Ash win the Sinnoh League.

jrizza88

Meteorite
I couldn't agree more with everything you just said, honestly, and plus they should've had Ash win the Sinnoh League.

Wasn't it said that the writers would keep Ash until the end of Pokemon?

I personally wish they would just make his dreams come true, and win the league, and just do some sort of champions league after, in case a new pokemon generation doesn't happen for a while. They could just bring in a new kid, and just give a female Pikachu or something, since I am 99% certain that replacing Pikachu will never happen in the anime.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
If this is going to be nothing more than a BW bashing fest I might as well close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.