1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Ash still ten? Discuss here.

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Ninja Bulbasaur, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninja Bulbasaur

Ninja Bulbasaur Well-Known Member

I've been wondering why has Ash remained ten throughout the series in general. Sure, most likely the writers didn't want to age him because they wanted him to stay young and untainted as a character. That way, they wouldn't screw with the younger audiences that way. Also, as I read online, it was for money.

I don't like that.

Come on, let's get creative with this. Maybe in the animeverse time passes slower? Let's discuss this here. PLEASE REMAIN APPROPRIATE. And yes, maybe if Ash ages, the universe will come to an end :p

So, yeah. Talk.

2. Ver-mont

Ver-mont Well-Known Member

Someone caught Dialga and time stopped flowing, that's the only explanation.

(it's hard to think of a reason because even the writers didn't, they just want him young forever so the new kids can relate to him)

3. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

Ash is immortal. [spoil]When ho-oh flew over ash it pooped on him and the ho-oh dung made him immortal[/spoil]

4. Elegantensue

Elegantensue Member

I know people came up with crazy ideas that ash fell into a comma after the spearow attack and the world is all his imagination, and thats why it seems all so child friendly and and perfect with ash being the centre to everything. But i think it's because ash became such a big selling point, if he grew, he'd get too strong and they would have to make new characters, but people wouldn't know these new characters and wouldn't watch the anime because of that. Infact ash was meant to grow up into red, originally, and grow up from his slight arrogance and immaturity through his determination, but, like i said, it's about money for pokemon, i mean, they couldn't continue at all if they went broke, could they?

5. Princess Raspberyl

Princess Raspberyl ~Shining One~

Psh, we all know that's not the truth. D8
    He sacrificed 99 percent of his brain to be immortal. Explains why he nevers wins a league. :p

6. mudkipz_and_axewz

mudkipz_and_axewz mudkip lover

I say that in the pokemon world you celebrate your tenth birthday with a new pokemon and once you've got it you stay ten for ever and ever and ever...
    even the adults are ten just really tall ten year olds.

7. TeamRocketGrunt

TeamRocketGrunt WobbWobbWobb Wobrudo

Because a 30-year old man with manboobs and an electric rat wanting to be the very best would be scary for little kids and all of us.

8. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

OMG Peter griffen/home Simpson should totally be the next protagonists.

9. HetaOni

HetaOni Chesaught

TRG speaks the truth. XD

10. Ver-mont

Well, they could always ditch him for a new, smarter main character to avoid the eternal-ten-years-old problem.

11. TeamRocketGrunt

TeamRocketGrunt WobbWobbWobb Wobrudo

That is true....

12. Vernikova

Vernikova Champion

To make the other characters look better in relation to him.

13. Princess Raspberyl

Princess Raspberyl ~Shining One~

...What kind of Pokemon would they have? :O Homer Simpson would have Snorlax, I am so calling him having Snorlax! D8 They would have eatting contests. :3

14. Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama

Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama Fancy footwork

He's used to stay with the new viewers. If he followed the 90's kids. He would have been much older.

15. Suhnerd

Suhnerd Tai

/congratulate for solving the dilemma of the universe.
    Seriously this makes way too much sense.

16. Ver-mont

I don't really think so. They keep his age intact exactly because they think the audience is constantly renewing itself and new kids must still be able to relate to Ash; it wouldn't make any difference for them to change the main character, going by this theory, because the new kids don't even know Ash.

17. JennaJayfeather

JennaJayfeather jflkdjkfgjafgaf

Because they need eye candy that never changes for 7-10 year old girls. :p

18. Necro101

Necro101 Well-Known Member

OK!
    This has a reason behind it. Ash is still ten because of the fact that all the money that pokemon made came by young kids. The idea was that Ash would grow and become a Red. Ken and Satoshi wanted Ash to conquer the world bring justice and beat the bad teams (Rocket, Magma, Aqua...) All of this with the help of pokemon. The reason Ash did not become a Red is because that the companies like Nintendo wanted him to stay t 10. That is because as I have said all the money came by ''kids'' (people 6 to 10 or 8 or 10). If they made Ash grow they would loose those kids. What Satoshi and Ken did is that they "hired" Hidenori to do what they wanted to do with Ash in the form of a Manga. That is how the mangas where born and why Ash is still ten. I have not covered half the information. But this is a video for all the details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jflYQC6X4o

RAWK ON

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  19. Bluelatios*

Bluelatios* Well-Known Member

^this=golden.

Ok, so a couple things to point out; 1. it was only the narrator who stated Ash's "age". 2. More importantly, Ash's maturity and skill level changed drastically, moreso than any other region. Therefore, despite references to past Sinnoh adventures via Dawn and Cynthia, the Unova saga can be interpreted as an alternate reality. Furthermore, I'm inclined to believe that people in the Pokemon world do indeed age slower, or at least remain in a youthful state for an undetermined period of time. This appearance does not affect their ability to mature mentally.

20. Vernikova

Vernikova Champion

The narrator knows what he's talking about. His credibility is what makes it canon.

No. u.u

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.