• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Ash still ten? Discuss here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight Amaryllis

♪smoke and mirrors♪
Why, it is all Hanyuu's fault, obviously.

But in all due seriousness, I believe it is because if they aged him in the story, there would be either a. complaints about the character of a children's anime being 15 or b. the complain about the time gap because, "OMG HE'S 13 AND HE SHOULD 17 ASDFGHJ". People will never be satisfied with his age, so the writers were just like, "Screw it!" and kept Ash the same age, because children would be able to interact and understand his personality better because he's 10. All the same, many of us are still outraged at his stupidity, while others adore it...

Blood Red Absol

AquaMilotic's Waifu
Why is Ash still ten? why not? it's an anime, they do that sometimes.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
@Ninja Bulbasaur, @Vermont, @pokemonsquarred, @mudkipz_and_axewz_, @Terra Brabdford, and other, all of you are wrong.

Ash's story is a plot black hole.

Exactly, because Ash's story doesn't appear to get an ending, they're intend to make that each "series" are different stories of the same character. The pokemon series isn't from the ones that watch the series during 15 years (they know that tthey exist but isn't the case). The series is for a target audience between 6-14. This audience is the audience who majority sees the show, in Japan and anywhere in the world.

That doesn't mean that people of other ages can't show Pokemon? No, of course. You can have 70 years and watch Pokemon just fine. This isn't like some types of films that splicity says that children with less than 13 years aren't recommended to watch the show. But if you watch this show you must now who is the real target of this show.

Because this, I see all the sense that Ash is now still 10. Specially I love when the series itself reveals that Ash is still 10 because I can think that all debates around Ash's age can end. Because who said that Ash is older in AG and DP isn't true. Ash since episode 1 until now is 10 years old. The idea of Ash aging was crapped in the time of the Kanto League!!!.

And because Ash is still ten, all the older characters are still ten. TR will have the adebut's age, Dawn is 10, May is 10, Misty is 10, Brock is 15 if you believe in some magazine, Iris is around 10 and Cialn is around 14-15.

And the tineline of the series doesn't make sense... since AG started.

Last edited:

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Why, it is all Hanyuu's fault, obviously.

But in all due seriousness, I believe it is because if they aged him in the story, there would be either a. complaints about the character of a children's anime being 15 or b. the complain about the time gap because, "OMG HE'S 13 AND HE SHOULD 17 ASDFGHJ". People will never be satisfied with his age, so the writers were just like, "Screw it!" and kept Ash the same age, because children would be able to interact and understand his personality better because he's 10. All the same, many of us are still outraged at his stupidity, while others adore it...

This. The unpleasable fanbase would revolt in one way or another if they were to age Ash, or swap him out for a new guy, or whatever. It's really best for them to stick to what works with the main section of the audience than try to please the fringe fans.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
I really fail to see why this is such a big issue. So many other animated shows do it, keep characters the same age and yet still reference the passage of time. It is really crazy and a discussion point that Pokémon does it?

Each saga isn't an alternate timeline. It's not a coma. It's just common occurances with animated shows

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
Maybe he fell in a hot tub time machine, or like previously said by others it would be a pain to change his appearance, I think if he wasn't immortal he'd be 26 now

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Here's an explanation I read on IMDb:

"The internal battery died; all time-based events have stopped."

Ninja Bulbasaur

Generally, this was supposed to have the users think up some creative ways for Ash to remain 10 in the animeverse, not IRL. Because we all know that IRL, Ash is ten for money. I was thinking of some creative ways for Ash to remain 10 in animeverse-wise. It's for fun. Unfortunetly, everyone keeps saying the same thing; Ash was supposed to be Red, but he's only made for money. This isn't to complain about the problem, it's just to goof off a bit and think up some ways.

I might have to close this thread if we can't stop acting like the money thing's an issue. Everyone, have fun.

Last edited:

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
I've been wondering why has Ash remained ten throughout the series in general. Sure, most likely the writers didn't want to age him because they wanted him to stay young and untainted as a character. That way, they wouldn't screw with the younger audiences that way. Also, as I read online, it was for money.

I don't like that.

Come on, let's get creative with this. Maybe in the animeverse time passes slower? Let's discuss this here. PLEASE REMAIN APPROPRIATE. And yes, maybe if Ash ages, the universe will come to an end :p

So, yeah. Talk.
You took the words right out of my mouth... Though I would be all for a more mature Pokemon anime for the older fans on Cartoon Networks Adult Swim!

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Maybe they're rounding down. (I'm assuming that only a few years have passed in the Anime.)

SlimeStack

Ash was born on the 29th of February and leap years only occur every 28 years in the Pokéworld.

Though I do wonder if Ash did win the Indigo League (or Silver Conference if we're counting the whole original series), then returned for a couple of episodes to meet the new protagonist in Hoenn or something and revealed he was still 10, would anyone really care.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Ash is still ten, because he's in a coma, duh!

No, seriously. I think it's because the show is directed towards a certain audience.

mein

ǝpısdn uʍop
Ash is ten because the tears of the Pokemon that brought him back to life/un-stoned him locked him at that age. 8)

Besides, who /wouldn't/ want to be ten forever? >no bills >no job >no mortgages >no women troubles >catch pokemon forever.

PokeMaster366

Because making Ash more mature or replacing him with a new protagonist would be a pretty ballsy move on their end. Almost like a certain person doing suicide in The Legend of Korra.

It's a common rookie mistake for people who play the metagame as well. Whenever they have something that's already good, they're afraid to try something new out of the fear that it will fail, and it's even worse when there's bigger risk in changing the formula drastically. It's also hard to come up with something new while keeping it as original as possible.

The anime people are afraid of the hate they'll get from changing things too much (and I don't blame them considering that half of the posts I read in the Anime Spoilers thread are filled with nothing but rage against the episodes and the possible future).

Status
Not open for further replies.