• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Ash still ten? Discuss here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanmanna

They made the BW playable trainers older (looking) than 10, so I don't get why the Pokemon anime should be any different. They could AT LEAST make Ash 12 years old (still not a teenager).

wolvie616

SoulSilver
They way I see it, they ended DP with Ash 15/16, and then the narrarator simply misread his age at the beginning of BW

Because the writers want to make all of us who were around when Season 1 came out to feel old. I wish i had ash's aging laws.

yoshi1001

Pokémon Lyricist
You also have to consider that the anime hasn't had the greatest success transitioning between characters. If the Brock/Tracey switch had gone better, perhaps they would have been more willing to experiment in this area.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
You also have to consider that the anime hasn't had the greatest success transitioning between characters. If the Brock/Tracey switch had gone better, perhaps they would have been more willing to experiment in this area.

Uh, we had many more character replacements successful since then.

yoshi1001

Pokémon Lyricist
Uh, we had many more character replacements successful since then.

But Ash himself has never been replaced (discounting the Raikou special, which they could have used him for). The writers seem to feel some need to keep that element of continuity. Maybe they feel like switching the girl and the plausibility travel companion is enough, maybe they think there's not enough to be gained by putting a replacement in there.

Ver-mont

Well, now we have the Brock/Cilan switch that seems to have been perfectly well-received, that's one step further from changing only the girl.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
Why is Satoshi's age so important to being with? Really, I don't care if he is 10, 20, 30 or 2000 years old.

fitzy909

Just another guy
It's so the anime still appeals to younger viewers. If ash was 24 as he should be, then few little kids would watch it. I wish i knew how he stayed 10 though that would be awesome. Sadly time moves on for everyone else. :(

teamaquagrunt

Ash is still 10 because he has entered the twilight zone. I wish I could freeze my age too or at least beat other people in pokemon battles for money..

Rhonder

Yeah... I dunno. I feel like the problem with saying that having ash be 24 (I feel like that's somewhat extreme, he doesn't necessarily need to age a year for every real year, maybe 1 per region or something) is that it wouldn't appeal to little kids, that's why they have new protagonists. It's clear that you're not still playing as the protagonist from RBY, they even changed that up as of GSC. They could have done something very similar with the anime, if even to keep it somewhat consistent. I think it's cool that they even kept Red in the 2nd gen games as an end-of-the-game boss character, who seems to be at least somewhat of a copy of Ash from the show/ what a reasonable person could have had by the end of the first gen games.

That aside, I don't really know any good reasons for Ash to stay 10. I mean... honestly, I thought it was fine off before BW where they /specifically/ labeled his age as 10, as opposed to before where they left it open. If they had left that number out, nothing would be an issue. They could keep him 10 behind the scenes while still alluding the fact that he might not be. I haven't watched much of BW or DP so I can't judge (yet, planning on watching them soon) but that's all I can say for now.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
No birthday cake...

Meh, it's Japanese cartoons: where you can be a hooker and have the face of a baby.

Moonlight Amaryllis

♪smoke and mirrors♪
Generally, this was supposed to have the users think up some creative ways for Ash to remain 10 in the animeverse, not IRL. Because we all know that IRL, Ash is ten for money. I was thinking of some creative ways for Ash to remain 10 in animeverse-wise. It's for fun. Unfortunetly, everyone keeps saying the same thing; Ash was supposed to be Red, but he's only made for money. This isn't to complain about the problem, it's just to goof off a bit and think up some ways.

I might have to close this thread if we can't stop acting like the money thing's an issue. Everyone, have fun.

You should bold that so people pay more attention to that.

In any case, it is still the fault of Hanyuu, because it is obviously her manipulation of time that causes this.

Ninja Bulbasaur

You should bold that so people pay more attention to that.

In any case, it is still the fault of Hanyuu, because it is obviously her manipulation of time that causes this.

Okie dokie. I'll bold some stuff in it.

But In general, like I said before, I don't really care if Ash is older or what. What this thread was made for was for us to think of ways that it could still be possible in animeverse-wise.

Ver-mont

Well, in-universe, I think it could be because of the aura. Ash is one of the only users left, that might be why he doesn't age like normal people do.

And well, Riley looks very young, but Byron in-game states he's far older than he seems. That shows aura might have something to do with that.

StarlightUmbreon

Ash is under a curse, and he cant turn 11 until he beats the Pokemon league. so I guess he wont be 11 any time soon

Ok ok but seriously, I think as much as they want to keep ash young so kids to relate to him, I doubt their going to take the time to redesign him to look a tiny bit older for each episode. They could do like a time skip, but his age doesn't seem that important.

Tamer Hamlet

Meta Game Trainer
xD Ash is in a coma state after being hit by lightning in the early episodes, which is why he docent age jk. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.