• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Ash still ten? Discuss here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanami

Banned
He's 10 because the writers want him to be ten

Honestly they say ash is 10 but he looks alot older then most 10 year olds on the show.

Anime characters never look their age. Like in Bleach they were 14 or so in the until the timeskip but they looked so big for only 14. Yuzu and Karin looked more 14

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
He's 10 because the writers want him to be ten

Couldn't agree with that statement more. I personally don't understand why he doesn't age but it really isn't up to us either way.

Misinformation overseas is typical...especially when it is the US.

The anime is specifically made as advertisement for children. The producers were very clear about this from the get-go. That is why the anime is designed to teach up-and-coming children about pokemon...be it Ash checking his Pokedex for every Magikarp, the commercial questions and so on. Ash will always be 10 because it is better to market the brand to children with -drum roll-.......CHILDREN!!!

Now...for anyone interested in what Pokemon REALLY is, you need to read the manga. It is hundreds of times better, deadlier, bloodier, violent, and sadistic than the anime. It also carries the typical characteristics of Japanese series (sexual inuendo, dark comedy, etc). Lance had his Dragonair do a Hyper Beam on Vermillion City destroying a good section of the city and killing hundreds of people and pokemon!!!

BTW Yes...Pokemon do die be it in predator-prey relations or simply because they are ordered to do so (Giovanni had his Cloyster kill two Magmars just to prove a point to himself).

Plus, the battles are FAR better and, yes...the trainers don't just give orders...they are part of the battle meaning they also get seriously hurt or even killed. By far, the best battle, making anything you might see in the anime lame, was Red beating Green in the Pokemon League Final after Red's Venusaur defeated Green's Charizard (yes...Red is that awesome).

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Misinformation overseas is typical...especially when it is the US.

The anime is specifically made as advertisement for children. The producers were very clear about this from the get-go. That is why the anime is designed to teach up-and-coming children about pokemon...be it Ash checking his Pokedex for every Magikarp, the commercial questions and so on. Ash will always be 10 because it is better to market the brand to children with -drum roll-.......CHILDREN!!!

Now...for anyone interested in what Pokemon REALLY is, you need to read the manga. It is hundreds of times better, deadlier, bloodier, violent, and sadistic than the anime. It also carries the typical characteristics of Japanese series (sexual inuendo, dark comedy, etc). Lance had his Dragonair do a Hyper Beam on Vermillion City destroying a good section of the city and killing hundreds of people and pokemon!!!

BTW Yes...Pokemon do die be it in predator-prey relations or simply because they are ordered to do so (Giovanni had his Cloyster kill two Magmars just to prove a point to himself).

Plus, the battles are FAR better and, yes...the trainers don't just give orders...they are part of the battle meaning they also get seriously hurt or even killed. By far, the best battle, making anything you might see in the anime lame, was Red beating Green in the Pokemon League Final after Red's Venusaur defeated Green's Charizard (yes...Red is that awesome).

... If your idea of what Pokemon "really" is involves death, sadism and sexual inuendo, your idea of what Pokemon is is screwed up something fierce.

Vernikova

Champion
Now...for anyone interested in what Pokemon REALLY is, you need to read the manga.

Which manga. :snowlax:

Seriously though. You play the games if you want to know what Pokemon "really" is.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Why is Ash ten? Why does it matter? Pokemon's not the first series to forget about aging; it's not even the worst. Look at Peanuts. Charlie Brown was a kid for, what, 50 years? And that's not all. Charles Shultz would introduce new characters as babies, have them grow to Charlie Brown's age, then stop. Lucy, Linus, Schroeder all started off as babies. You know what? The comic was still good, and it's still published years after its creator's death. Pokemon's fine, even if Ash doesn't age.

Now...for anyone interested in what Pokemon REALLY is, you need to read the manga.
While the series creator once said that Pokemon Special was closest to his vision of the Pokemon world, that was a long time ago. Besides, I think he was more interested in the relationship between Red and his Pokemon than in the darker elements.

Last edited:
Probably because they want the main character to be closer to the age of the target demographic so they could relate better to Ash.

... If your idea of what Pokemon "really" is involves death, sadism and sexual inuendo, your idea of what Pokemon is is screwed up something fierce.

I don't think you understand japanese culture. It isn't that Pokemon is about the fore mentioned. The point is that those elements, absent in the anime for very obvious reasons, are part of Pokemon just as the elements present in the games. You don't like it, talk to the creator. The anime was made for 5-8 year old children.

In the US, it is common for the great bulk of girls and women to be promiscuos from their late teens and above. Heck! The culture pretty much enforces it. That is what American culture is now. It doesn't define America; it is merely a part of it.

Which manga. :snowlax:

Seriously though. You play the games if you want to know what Pokemon "really" is.

The Pokemon Adventures Specials.

BTW, I have been playing ever since Pokemon Yellow so I know what it is. Every two years, I go back and play the newest version (like I am now. I am just 9 World Tournament victories away from facing, by far, the hardest challenge I have gotten: Red).

Honeyichigo

The manliest
I don't think you understand japanese culture. It isn't that Pokemon is about the fore mentioned. The point is that those elements, absent in the anime for very obvious reasons, are part of Pokemon just as the elements present in the games. You don't like it, talk to the creator. The anime was made for 5-8 year old children.

In the US, it is common for the great bulk of girls and women to be promiscuos from their late teens and above. Heck! The culture pretty much enforces it. That is what American culture is now. It doesn't define America; it is merely a part of it.

Nowhere in the games is there explicit violence or sexual innuendo or anything like that. They might not be aimed primarily at children like the anime, but they *are* meant to be playable by people of all ages. That's all there is to it. I really have no idea what you're trying to accomplish by insisting that Pokemon is "deadly, bloody, violent and sadistic" when it very much isn't. Heck, even Special is barely that violent- and even if it was, that would have nothing to do with how the games are or how the anime ought to be.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Yes, they do. That is like saying the games are what defined TV series and we all know that isn't true.

The games are what defined the TV series to the extent that the TV series is based on the games. The show often goes off on its own path, true, but there's still a hell of a lot of influence. Same goes for every manga adaptation. However, you do not need to read or watch any of the adaptations to fully experience the games, and with a few exceptions like Pokemon Yellow, the games rarely take major ideas from the adaptations.

ArmadaUGS

Probably because most people watching the Anime probably want Ash to look the same/close as he always have. In the third movie (the short video before the real one) AshxPikachu have a celebration for one year together (means Ash should be 11).

I guess they took away that idea because eventually this became another "movie show/anime" exc. They make so much money so they don't seem to care about giveing the fans a end it deserve so they make tons of seasons and let him look the same to keep as many as possible to watch the show for as long as possible. Makeing money is a good reason to make thing WAY longer then they should. Keeping him 10 years old is just a trick to make more money.

Maybe this theory sounds a bit "hateing" but I honestly believe in this atm

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
I might say that each region is different scenarios of Ash's journeys. None fake, just seperate...
Buuut, in Unova Ash meets Dawn, and they talk about Brock, so except for moments when May comes back in Hoenn, and things like this ^ happen, then, yea, it kinda makes sense. OR ASH IS SECRETLY 30 AND GETS A TON A' PLASTIC SURGERY

The funniest thing is that people still refuse to believe he's still 10.
They say he's 12, they say he's 15. Sorry people, but you will all forever stay pedos. You're all getting older, and he's getting younger by the years.

Ninja Bulbasaur

It seems that people fail to realize that this is supposed to be a joke thread.

As someone else said,"the internal battery has died"

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Seriously people, quit argueing about how Pokemon is supposed to be kid friendly. Yeah, I'm aware, but like I've stated in my other posts, we're supposed to try and be creative and think up some ways for it to work in Pokemon's reality. In other words, yes, it's a joke thread. Quit getting in each other's hair and arguing about it, I will close this thread if I need to T.T

Vernikova

Champion
Yes, they do. That is like saying the games are what defined TV series and we all know that isn't true.

If that is the case, then it makes your first statement about reading Pokemon Special to find out what Pokemon really is even dumber than it originally was. Now, it's time to look at your argument:

"Now...for anyone interested in what Pokemon REALLY is, you need to read the manga. It is hundreds of times better, deadlier, bloodier, violent, and sadistic than the anime. It also carries the typical characteristics of Japanese series (sexual inuendo, dark comedy, etc) . . . BTW Yes...Pokemon do die be it in predator-prey relations or simply because they are ordered to do so . . . Plus, the battles are FAR better and, yes...the trainers don't just give orders...they are part of the battle meaning they also get seriously hurt or even killed."

Now, explain how this is what Pokemon "really" is. Now, you're probably going to bring out the Satoshi Tajiri quotation about the more faithful adaptation even though we should note that he strictly made this comment about volume 1 of the series. Unless I remember incorrectly, the rest of the series isn't very similar to volume 1. Of course, you didn't list it in your initial reasons either so I'd also like to know how those other things you listed make it more "real" than other adaptations as well. By the way, read this if you're going to try and bring up the quotation. I don't have the time to explain why it shouldn't be used anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.