• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Ash still ten? Discuss here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Because he's a fictional character. Fiction knows no laws that happen in real life.

Ok, Anime mechanics. Follow-up question to the one the topic asks. If Ash is still supposed to be ten, then why was he redesigned to look older in this Gen?

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Ok, Anime mechanics. Follow-up question to the one the topic asks. If Ash is still supposed to be ten, then why was he redesigned to look older in this Gen?

He wasn't designed to look older, just redesigned. Some people even think he looks younger.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
It's a cartoon -_- In cartoons characters never age, besides its fictional and doesn't tie with reality what so ever. Look at Family Guy, Stewies still a baby but it's been on air over 10 years. The Simpsons, it's been on air over 20 years but Maggie, Bart, and Lisa are still the same age. Same goes for Pokemon, Ash will never age.

SBaby

Dungeon Master

ludiloco

Anime characters don't age unless a timeskip happens at a certain point of the story, but since there were no timeskips in Pokemon: Ash's still 10.

Kimchu

Onward!
While meddling with all the time-hopping and space-distorting legendaries in the movies, something somewhere went horribly wrong. In the end, it resulted in Ash's timeline going all wonky, which prevented any of the characters from ever aging again, including himself. :T

But in all honesty, like most people said, the show creators just want kids to relate Ash and for the most part milk the series to death.

The only way I can see Ash aging is if Bianca and Iris make a cameo after BW as Juniper's lab assistant and the Pokemon League champion, respectively. They should be 2 years older by then, so therefore Ash should age as well. (unless they never make a cameo in later generations)

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Anime characters don't age unless a timeskip happens at a certain point of the story, but since there were no timeskips in Pokemon: Ash's still 10.

Gohan aged gradually throughout the DBZ series. So that rule isn't always in place.

I guess the point I'm really trying to make here is, who in the Anime has actually said that he's still ten?

Last edited:

BM14murph

Master Collector
Gohan aged gradually throughout the DBZ series. So that rule isn't always in place.

I guess the point I'm really trying to make here is, who in the Anime has actually said that he's still ten?

First episode of Best Wishes/Black and White, the narrator states something a long the lines of "10 year old Ash Ketchum"

zeno48

Zaker!
I think after 5 regions, it wouldn't be out of the question to have him age a year at least? nope. Well anime logic doesn't apply so he can stay 10 forever, and go to 365 leagues and still be 10.

Ver-mont

Guys, have you even read the first post?

It's like you just see the thread title and go saying what everyone already knows.

Here, see:

I've been wondering why has Ash remained ten throughout the series in general. Sure, most likely the writers didn't want to age him because they wanted him to stay young and untainted as a character. That way, they wouldn't screw with the younger audiences that way. Also, as I read online, it was for money.

I don't like that.

Come on, let's get creative with this. Maybe in the animeverse time passes slower? Let's discuss this here. PLEASE REMAIN APPROPRIATE. And yes, maybe if Ash ages, the universe will come to an end :p

So, yeah. Talk.

This thread was supposed to be for speculating in-universe reasons for him not to age.

Like... aura prevents him from aging or something.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
Why? Because the shows is a success and they can make more money keeping the same character (with the same mascot). In other words, they want to keep Ash and Pikachu.

The reason that many of you used to think that Ash was older in DP is because Ash doesn't look 10 in any of the series, starting from OS and continuing from AG, DP; BW... To be more precise, May and Dawn, who are confirmed 10 by the narrator doesn't look 10 in any way. To be more precise, the two girls (specially May) is more credible by her looks that they're are 14 than 10. And 14 is possibly the age of Bianca* in the anime canon (and looks older than May and Dawn because it's older)

*Bianca's anime age hasn't confirmed but we'll know that Bianca is way older than 10.

Littlemyuu

Ho-oh gave Ash eternal happyness in the first episode, thats why Ash might be 10 forever?

I know this dont count but in the Pikachu short Ash celebrate its 1 year anniversary with Pikachu ( In the 2000 movie)
so yeah.. I stick with eternal happyness

Encyclopika

The Queen
A. Ash is still ten. Misty is still ten. May is still ten. Dawn is still ten. If we are to believe the character profiles featured in a Japanese magazine many years ago, Brock is 15. The ages of other main characters have not been revealed.
descri
Also, the characters in this series are immune to aging. Some people will try to create their own fictional timeline of the series, often using such throwaway lines as Misty commenting on one year passing since they first arrived in Viridian City, or Ash throwing an anniversary party of first meeting Pikachu. These are throwaway details, not actually meant to have any weight behind them regarding the passage of time in the anime. Misty’s line was to convey nostalgia (plus, note that her comment was only in the dub dialogue), for instance. Others try to calculate the number of episodes as equivalent to a day or week passing, which is also false.

As a standard formula, memorize: “Time passes, but no one ages”. It’s weird, but it’s not like this is the only anime who uses it.
Source: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showth...amp-Conduct-*READ-BEFORE-POSTING*-Feb-19-2012 aka, the rules of the board.

//CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.