• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Crossdressing so looked down upon?

Kabuto

little punks!
I really don't see the big deal about wearing certain fabrics. There is no reason why there should be such a distinct difference between men & women in clothing, when the differences are already there biologically. If men and women have their own clothing, that's perfectly fine, but they shouldn't be seen as solely exclusive for either gender (specifically men, because women can wear trousers in most situations).

The main issue I have with gender specific clothing, or clothing in general is how uniforms simply enable people to be members of a certain district of society. I have a passionate distaste for any sort of uniform because of this. Clothing shouldn't have labels or determinations. Sure, they can portray how a person feels through the use of color or design, but I don't see a good reason why a person's choice in clothing should be so powerfully impacting on the lives of others.

Ethan

Banned
Because normally men don't like the idea that the chick they just hit on in the local bar, was actually a guy, and vice versa.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Same reason gay rights aren't fully represented yet, I think. People still haven't completely come to terms with other ways of seeing gender.

I for one, think the male-female dressing standard is unfair. There's a school dance and I have to pick from a hundred shades of black, grey, brown or blue for a stiff, itchy suit, while my date got to pick from brilliant vivid red, gold, yellow, green, robin's egg blue silky dresses...

I wonder if someday dressing customs won't just completely dissapear and people will be able to decorate themsleves however they want. That could be comforting, or a nightmare, it depends.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
In addition to Ethan's thoughtful reply, I'd like to add that from a very young age, people are taught certain 'gender roles'. Such things include expected behavior (such as "boys play with cars, girls play with dolls"), to physical appearance, which also includes the differing types of clothing that society 'expects' each gender to wear.

So while you may not find it a big deal, others might not see your view, because discovering a male in a dress clashes directly with those gender roles that they were so thoroughly conditioned with during the course of their lives. All of us are taught these gender roles, directly or indirectly, and because of that, most people find crossdressing to be upsetting, unnatural, or what-have-you.

Kabuto

little punks!
Because normally men don't like the idea that the chick they just hit on in the local bar, was actually a guy, and vice versa.

LMAO. Touche.

(I mean you can still tell but I can see why it may create strange situations)

Ethan

Banned
In addition...

There's always standards. It doesn't necessarily mean its unfair persay, but there are certian characteristics and societal norms that define a man and woman in the every day world. People look down on men wearing short shorts and a cute red tang top because its disturbing. Your average Joe doesn't really want to look some guys scrunched up ball sack about to burst through short shorts, let alone armpit hair.

Men and women developed different ways of dress based on what looks best. Men generally look better in dark and bold colors while women generally look better in bright and vivid colors.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
In addition...

There's always standards. It doesn't necessarily mean its unfair persay, but there are certian characteristics and societal norms that define a man and woman in the every day world. People look down on men wearing short shorts and a cute red tang top because its disturbing. Your average Joe doesn't really want to look some guys scrunched up ball sack about to burst through short shorts, let alone armpit hair.

Men and women developed different ways of dress based on what looks best. Men generally look better in dark and bold colors while women generally look better in bright and vivid colors.

What looks best is largely subjective. You could claim "tradition" and I could disagree and say tradition is an illusion. Gender roles are not necessarily right just because they have been taught. And while certain standards may not be unfair per se, an individual may percieve it as so.

Then again, I was raised the opposite gender, so I have a tough time parting from my hot pinks and reds. Do you see the Suicune animation in my signature? Patron of vivid color here. Yet, I'm a guy.

EDIT: On the other hand, I completely understand the point about short shorts. Structurally clothes should probably be different.

Last edited:

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ

Then look at their face. It's not too hard to tell the difference just because they don't wear the other gender's clothes.

Then don't look. By this logic, we should ban ugly people from going out in public. After all, we don't wanna see buck teeth, dirty hair, and pimples everywhere we go!

Highly subjective.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
Then don't look. By this logic, we should ban ugly people from going out in public. After all, we don't wanna see buck teeth, dirty hair, and pimples everywhere we go!
When I come to power...

Ethan

Banned
Then look at their face. It's not too hard to tell the difference just because they don't wear the other gender's clothes.

Except there's this thing called make up, and it actually can be difficult sometimes to tell. Its not as cut and dry as "look at their face"

Right, and we don't want to see naked people either, that's why you get arrested for indecent exposure. Its not "By my logic" at all. You just manipulate it to the extreme. By your logic we should all be running around naked because everything is subjective, and after all we can just not look right? The point of the matter is that you look presentable within a degree of reason. Plus, who said anything about banning anything? If you read the first post you read that the OP asked why its frowned upon, not whether or not the government should get the SS to arrest cross dressers. Buck teeth isn't something that can be really helped, but as far as greasy or dirty hair goes, you can help that. Wash it. Throwing around some piss poor examples didn't really do anything for ya.

Highly subjective.

So what? So what if some special person happens to think he looks better in a skirt. The majority of society does not. In our culture at least, its general agreed upon that men look better a certian way, and women another. Therefore going outside of that norm is going to get you some weird looks. In no way am I saying that our culture is absolute, because obviously your objection is going to be "But that doesn't mean its right!!" but as an answer to the OP's question, there are no flaws unless your making sweeping assumptions as you have already done.

kagiomiya

Hex Girl
Gender roles are society based exclusively... In Western Society, men are supposed to be the tough ones that wear what they do. Girls are supposed to be the kind, empathetic child bearers that wear clothes that are fitting for that role. (Think about the structure of a skirt and try to tell me that it was designed for anything but easy access. >.< At least they are cute.) I took sociology in High School, and I remember reading about some African tribe where the gender roles are swapped. The women are the hunters and tough ones, while the men are the kind ones who raise children. In this tribe, the men act like women, the women like men.

Basically, Gender is a state of mind. Its all in your head. Sex, on the other hand, is plumbing. How we're set up biologically. While when they're crossdressing, and some girls are hot in guys' clothes.

Just like the ostracism of homosexuals by most cultures for forsaking natural reproductive roles (which is an act not entirely unnatural, either, as certain marine mammals engage in homosexual activity), crossdressers are looked down upon for forsaking the role of their birth gender. This predjudice really applies to transgendered individuals, and has devastating consequences. To play devil's advocate... It really is Christianity's fault. Before I get flamed for this... In most East Asian cultures, homosexuality was a natural part of society and still is. In Japan, for instance, Kabuki theatre is performed exclusively by men, even the female roles. The men are not thought of as being any less of a man for it. While women have traditionally been treated badly, even in ancient society, such as Rome, women who did manage to get their equal rights would be allowed to marry other women because they had earned the right to be themselves. This isn't seen in modern society much because of the Christian religion, and its absolute lack of tolerance for homosexuality. Crossdressing tends to be associated with said homosexuality, and thus it is too seen as being sinful and unnatural.

As ridiculous and all of this is... Nothing can be done about it for a while, at least. In Canada, there are laws that protect homosexuals and transsexuals, so perhaps they will be a model that shall fix society. Or maybe not. Only time will tell. But the concept of a particular clothing belonging to a particular sex is ridiculous. The clothing belongs to the gender, not the sex. And even there, some wiggle room for experimentation needs to be left open.

tl;dr version: Society defines gender roles, but gender itself is in your head. Your sex is determined by your plumbing, and has some bearing on behavior, but gender is not defined by this alone. Society looks down upon crossdressing because it undermines their view of gender roles.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
I've got an idea. Let's stop complaining that society has yet to fully accept homosexuals/transgendered/cross dressing people. Yeah, we've got no logical reason to frown upon them other than pre-existing negativity in our society. But we still do anyway. It's difficult to change the mentality of an entire society: your gut feeling overrides your logic. So if you've been raised to believe cross-dressing is wrong (and let's face it, most of us have), then it's going to be difficult to change that belief.

Vernikova

Champion
Many, if not most, people have been raised to believe that males and females are supposed to do dress a certain way. It can be compared to why gay marriage is still a problem with many people today. It's just out of the norm of how most many people have been raised.

Waldorf

ungrateful
Actually, crossdressing is closely linked to the concept of the masculine identity and how it is obtained, in my opinion.

Consider the concept of a "tomboy" as opposed to a "girly boy". While a girl who indulges in masculine activities may not be cheered on completely, this tendency is generally portrayed as something cute, or even a form of female empowerment. On the other hand, the man who takes on femenine activities is generally shunned unequivocally, and will have to reject the notion that what he is doing is effeminate or lose his masculine identity. In the media, the effeminate man is portrayed as the Hollywood gay stereotype; an overly sensitive, loud queen who most likely works as a hairdresser.

Taking upon a femenine identity is seen tacitly as "taking a step down", while taking on a masculine identity is seen as a "step up" (although that step can never really be taken by women). This is also why the concept of women crossdressing is generally not seen as nearly as striking or as offensive as the concept of men crossdressing, which, if anything, is usually played for laughs, and any man who crossdresses seriously instantly loses his masculine identity. So the 'set' of activities, customs, and clothing related to women is not only separated from those that are related to men, but the 'set' reserved for men is also seen as superior. If a man takes upon a woman's 'set' of activities, customs and clothing, society is almost asking him, "Why would you do that?", while if a woman does the same with the 'set' of a man, it's a kind of "Aww, that's adorable. You go, girl, although you'll never really get there" response. The concept of a male-dominated world isn't exactly new to anyone, but thinking of the male crossdressing stigma under that light is pretty revealing.

Your basic sociology course will tell you that the male identity is something that is constantly challenged and needs to be proven, while the female identity is something that is almost a given. This is related to a male's necessity to separate himself from his mother if he is to become a man, while a female can look up to her mother as a role model. The phenomenon is related to the idea that "girls mature faster than boys" in school; girls already have a "default" identity which they can be comfortable with, while boys have to earn theirs through trials of strength, courage, robbing some girl's panties and what have you.

This fleeting and fragile quality of the male identity obviously relates to why men simply cannot crossdress. It is an immediate surrender of their standing as men and relegates them as femenine. On the other hand, women already have a 'default' identity; they don't have to fear falling into the other side unless they actively try to be more manly. This, and the whole Women's Liberation movement in part, have contributed to the ability of women to trascend gender roles with greater ease and comfort than men, even in a patriarchal society.

And to a lesser degree there's the obvious aesthetic difficulties. Women's clothing is typically revealing in places where men's clothing is not; the legs, the armpits, the chest, all places in which men differ drastically from women, in part due to biology and in part due to socially-imposed practices such as shaving body hair. Seeing a man expose these features, which are generally concealed by men's clothing, is, needless to say, shocking.

On the other hand men's clothing tends to cover more and be more subdued and reserved, for which the woman who dresses as a man is in a way "toning it down", and if anything covering herself up more than usual, for which it isn't nearly as striking.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
Many, if not most, people have been raised to believe that males and females are supposed to do dress a certain way. It can be compared to why gay marriage is still a problem with many people today. It's just out of the norm of how most many people have been raised.

I have to agree with you on this one.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I'd say Hito-shura puts it best; mostly, male cross-dressing is frowned upon due to remnants of a male-dominant society.

To play devil's advocate... It really is Christianity's fault. Before I get flamed for this... In most East Asian cultures, homosexuality was a natural part of society and still is. In Japan, for instance, Kabuki theatre is performed exclusively by men, even the female roles. The men are not thought of as being any less of a man for it. While women have traditionally been treated badly, even in ancient society, such as Rome, women who did manage to get their equal rights would be allowed to marry other women because they had earned the right to be themselves. This isn't seen in modern society much because of the Christian religion, and its absolute lack of tolerance for homosexuality.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there! While I believe most of your argument is intelligent, I happen to recall the original Shakespearian plays to be played with an all-male casting as well. And those people were christian, weren't they? It might or might not be true that christianity is less tolerant of homosexuals than some other religions, but it is not a fact that male casting of female roles only existed outside christian societies.