1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Crossdressing so looked down upon?

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by Kabuto, Oct 23, 2009.

1. poke poke

poke poke hello

Oh please. You just reiterated what I said in the next part of your post, just less bluntly. I don't care enough about cross-dressers to proscecute them for anything. My disapproval means nothing. People like you jumping on me for it is just a testament to the degradation of societal norms and increasing tolerance; it isn't even necessarily a good thing.

2. Mawile412

Mawile412 Problem

I think Grei was talking about the retarded part of that guys post.

Eh i dont really have much to say about crossdressing. If they wanna dress like that, what's stopping them? My old Civics teacher said Freedom of Dress is considered Freedom of Speech

3. CSolarstorm

CSolarstorm New spicy version

Whatever. You're at perfect liberty to portion crossdressers in neat compartments of "issued" or "retarded". Despite the fact that there are more compartments than that. And indeed, your dissaproval means nothing. I'm so glad you're speaking up for your right to contribute a statement that means nothing, and getting on people like Grei for preaching questionable ideas like tolerance. Boy how I had things backwards. *sarcasm*

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  4. poke poke

poke poke hello

Then cut the crap and name them.

5. CSolarstorm

Women's rights - You have to admit at some time or another, it was considered crossdressing for a woman to wear pants rather than a corset and a floofy dress. Now however, it is not, due to the recognition of empowerment on their part and respect toward their choices.

There's, at least, one separate compartment besides "retarded". And, if you add crossdressing for the theatre or other dramatic or satirical purposes, there's two.

Individual choice - In modern day western society, there's man and woman, each possibly gay. There's man and woman, and crossdressed man and crossdressed woman. Those two also intertwine. If you consider all the possibilities, that makes eight different denominations of sexual orientation. That may seem weird to you, but it's a matter of choice to people. America is the land of the free, for worse or for better.

To me, if someone is frustrated with finding out a stranger you met at the bar is actually a biological man, then maybe you shouldn't be picking up a stranger at the bar.

Now I have a problem with what you label an issue. Why is it an issue? To whom is it an issue? Is it a matter of wrong or right, is it hurting someone, or just aggrevating them? Because millions of people have found peace in gender changes. To them, it's not an issue.

But you know, compartmentalizing them with the retarded? That's really low.

I could go into not judging people and using tact and tolerance...but you already seem to abject to that whole culture.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  6. denizenofevil

denizenofevil Well-Known Member

To me, it's kinda creepy. It seems like crossdressers are trying to hide something and that pretty much freaks me out. When you dress a certain way, you have to expect to be judged a certain way. It may not be fair but it's reality. A man can't walk around in a dress and not expect that someone thinks it's weird, just like a person can't walk around in emo clothes and whine about how the world judges them. When you dress differently, you pretty much bring those kinds of experiences to yourself. Like someone said, the way you dress is a way of expressing yourself and that's completely within your rights but the rest of us have the right to form our own opinions of the kind of person you may be.

7. poke poke

poke poke hello

Disregarding the fact that I live in a nation where women are considered subordinate, rights have nothing to do with anything. This is a fallacy. Because women have the right to dress like a man doesn't mean they should or that it should not be considered awkward. I can wear a dinosaur costume everyday outside. Can I do so? Sure, I have my rights. Should it be considered normal? No. Just no.

Doesn't count either. Go back to the dinosaur analogy.

What are you talking about? I'm not homophobic. I'm a supporter for gay rights. You seem under the assumption that sexual orientation is the prime factor for cross-dressing. It isn't; gender dysphoria is. Even if you'd try to defend that point, you actually want me to stop looking down on those who cross-dress and trick the opposite gender into having sex with them? Imagine how you'd feel going to sleep with a really hot girl until she opens her pants and the pee pee starts dangling.

If you don't want babies then don't open your pants. I recall you arguing this point in another thread. That's how silly your post is.

I already told you that you blew it entirely out of proportion. You shouldn't care as much as you are if I dislike cross-dressing instead of assuming I'm homophobic all the way. I frown upon cross-dressing. I frown upon gender-change. I frown upon heavy metal. Now don't rant to me about how metallica have rights and I'm discriminating against them.

You've yet to prove there are anymore 'compartments'. I can understand, even emphatise with gender dysphoria. But where do the others fall into? I consider it retarded. I really don't care what your opinion on my opinion is.

Eh. I'm not going to point out how you keep misinterpreting my posts and making molehills into mountains; you can do that yourself. Just stop channeling your excuse of sarcasm and being morally condescending to me. Read back on my posts and try to understand what I meant, not what you think I meant. No worries if you don't, I'll spell it out for you later.

8. CSolarstorm

Okay, sorry for being morally condescending, I have that problem. Social conventions are relative, and I understand if you don't feel the need to conform to other people's politess. I understand what you mean, but I was offended in the manner it was expressed, but I see that trying to correct you is neither on topic or polite. My apologies.

9. poke poke

poke poke hello

An excellent cop-out.

10. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

because i dont want to hit on a girl that later turns out on the maruy show to be a dude.

11. I think crossdressing is...weird.

First off, many people crossdress because inside they feel like that gender. In other words being a transvestite is a way of expressing yourself.

And it is looked down upon because of orthodox way of thinking and/or misunderstandings.

Honestly I have no sexual desire to be kissing someone with lipstick while they have a dick. I have no problem with people who like trannys, but I personally think maybe you may be a tad confused.

12. iGaga

iGaga I'm Gaga for Gaga

People are too insecure about their own sexuality.

That's my theory.

While on top of that, people were raised to believe that people should dress according to their sex.

13. the jman

the jman Ak47 I choose you!

that is why I have a problem with crossdressing.

although your really a dumbfuck If you cant tell between a man and woman because of clothes, make up is a very terrible face changer. but to the point, your just....different.... if you have desires to change clothes too the opposite sex. if you wanna do that and not get looked down upon, then either get or remove your dick so your the opposite gender

14. Waldorf

Waldorf ungrateful

I don't see what's the big issue with crossdressing. I find it hilarious when men crossdress, and there doesn't seem to be much of an issue when women crossdress; after all, pointing out that there is some sort of article of clothing that women 'cannot wear' is likely to get you called out for sexism nowadays. Which is a funny double standard considering men still can't wear a dress, but that's really not the point.

I'm not particularly a fan of crossdressing, just like I'm not particularly a fan of a lot of things, but if someone wants to do it then I don't really care. Sure, it is a little silly and it probably stems from some sort of gender dysphoria--although there is a certain subset of men whose fetish involves crossdressing during sex, but are perfectly happy with their gender otherwise. But maybe a society that lets you be a little crazy is a fun one.

And by the way, it's depressing to see that this debate has devolved into a pretty pointless back-and-forth:

"I don't like crossdressing; it's weird."

"But you must accept people who crossdress."

"But I don't want to."

"But you must."

"lol guise but what would happen if u hit on a chick @ the bar and it's a dude?!"

Men who crossdress as women to get other men into bed are malicious; that doesn't mean everyone who crossdresses is going to do that. Many drag queens are fine with admitting that they are actually, you know, men, because they're not fooling anyone anyway.

And finally, you would have to be pretty stupid to mistake a crossdressing man for a woman, unless it's a boy or something, in which case you may have a whole series of other issues. If you do, out of stupidity/drunken stupor/desperation take a crossdresser to bed, you're likely to find out their real gender pretty quickly, at which point a cold shower and some alone time should be enough to heal your trauma, unless your man pride has been irrevocably tarnished or whatever.

15. Arceu$_EX

Arceu$_EX The Antagoni$t

because its weird i mean wat guy in his right mind goes outside with a sun dress and spandex pants...face cringes
    i dont agree with the idea clothes are labeled by sex for a reason i mean putting on girl pants if noone realizes, would put lots of strain on your uh...nads and as do panties lol(realize i have never tried its just plain obvious after observation of the design)

16. Blackjack Gabbiani

Blackjack Gabbiani Clearly we're great!

You guys know that crossdressing and trying to actually LIVE as whatever else are two very different things, right?

Also, what really constitutes "men's clothing" and "women's clothing"? A full, loose garment on the lower body is considered women's clothing for a lot of the world, but in Scotland and Greece, to name just two countries, they're historical male clothes (Greek police officers still wear what most of the world would call skirts). And that's in the "western world" to boot.

I'm reminded of a 1970s singer (I want to say David Bowie but I'm not sure) who was asked why he was wearing a women's dress and responded "I'm not. It's a man's dress."

17. Takaru

Takaru Werk, Werk, Werk

I don't think cross dressing is really wrong. If there confrotable enough to do it let them be. I've never actually met a person whos mistaken man for a girl and go for them. I'm mistake for a girl at times because I have really femme qualities to me that you don't see for a normal guy. Cross Dressing can be great for Photography when you have a male who is androgynous look at Izzy Hilton. Of course some cross dressers take it over the top to the point were it isn't appealing at all.

What people don't seem to get is that every country has its set of norms, and folkways etc. that they have as part of there culture. In America we have our culture that guys wear Jeans, Pants, T-shirts, dress shirts, tie, etc. It isn't a norm for guys to wear skirts, wear make-up, and what we would consider girl clothing. Thats why in this country we look at cross dressers and feel uncoftorble because they brake that set of norms we have. It isn't immoral to do but its just something we don't do.

Cross dresser don't really hang around stright clubs to be compleay honest. If you can't tell ones a guy then maybe you should check yourself because obviously if your bringng them home they must have attracted you either way.

18. poke poke

poke poke hello

When people pick up cross-dressers at bars, they're obviously too drunk to know better. It has little to nothing to do with their lack of perception like many of you are insinuating.

19. CSolarstorm

Being drunk or not being drunk is the responsibility of the individual, and has no bearing on they who are crossdressing...

Perhaps men ought to think of women in bars as "Schrodinger's Crossdresser"! XD

20. Noheart

Noheart The Abysswalker

Well, it's not very attractive. Lol