• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Dento getting left in the dark here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDragonfangirl

Its like hes become D/P Brock 2.0, both he and Iris are sidekicks yet for some reason they are giving Iris special treatment, why is that? I'm confused. I'm not trying to hate on Iris, you'd think they'd give Dento as much as Iris is all. Do the writers hate male sidekicks or some thing?

Hm, I watched some episodes and I do have to disagree with Dento being a Takeshi 2.0. I mean as far as I know, the guys actively following his dreams (not to say Takeshi wasnt) and then he's not as repetitive. As for being left behind.... yeah I could see a bit of a pattern there.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Because Iris has a goal and Episode N and BW2 haven't had many comedy & or Sommelier COTD helping episodes. Since Dento's goal isn't touched on much and is left rather vague the writers don't do much with it compared to Iris's with the whole Shaga and Dragon Village plot, the Kairyu disobedience, the upcoming Ononokusu thing, the whole Reshiram/Zekrom thing, N's trust and everything with Pokemon and humans.(Iris and Doryuzu/Kairyu's relationship) And the fact Kairyu makes an excellent rival for Lizardon. We most likely have to be patient for comedic or COTD episodes after Episode N for more Dento focus because Dento just isn't a plot-heavy character so he doesn't participate much in this arc unfortunately or get any development. Dento shines when he's around comedy stuff mainly. It doesn't help none of his Pokemon have episode-inducing personalities or problems.(Emonga's & Tsutarja's cattiness & bad ***** nature, Kairyu being a rough teacher for Denryuu, etc.)

Last edited:
Because Iris isn't staying for 6th gen while Cilan does actually have a chance. If he is staying, then that explains Iris's more focus right now.

They aren't gonna equally divide the screentime if one is leaving and one is staying. That wouldn't be fair to Iris.

But if Cilan does leave with her, then it basically means the writers didn't care to use him.

I am Lu

Wasn't everyone on the forums complaining six months ago how Cilan constantly shafts Iris and is a screentime thief?

I'm sure Cilan will get his day. Something related to being a connoisseur, whether that be him battling Burgundy again or testing to be ranked S-class. To answer the thread's topic, Iris is probably getting a lot of focus because she's the most recent games' Champion.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Well Iris's goal can be much more focused on easier. Sommeliers are a strange profession. How do you exactly get from A-Class to S-Class? Iris's goal is to become a Dragon Master, which means it needs to have battles. Blame the writers for having Cilan start off as a badass. He started in the second to highest class as a Sommelier, had a Dwebble/Crustle that plowed through everything up until the Junior Cup, which was his last notable battle, being 6 months already. All he can get focused on is Fishing/Detective/etc-Sommelier.

Why don't they just introduce an S-Class Sommelier already that beats the crap out of him & he goes to question himself for a few episodes..... Then Cabernet comes in as an A-Class Sommelier & defeats him as well, why not? Now that's some good development there.-_-

STICKTOPIA

I really don't see Cilan leaving without having a big screen time. His time will come. If not then the writers couldn't give less of a crap about him.

Squirtle_007

Because Iris isn't staying for 6th gen while Cilan does actually have a chance. If he is staying, then that explains Iris's more focus right now.

They aren't gonna equally divide the screentime if one is leaving and one is staying. That wouldn't be fair to Iris.

But if Cilan does leave with her, then it basically means the writers didn't care to use him.

So, in summary, if both Iris & Cilan leaves at the end of BW:
- If Cilan gets screwed, it´s fine
- If Iris gets screwed, it´s unfair

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Because they are leading up to have Iris leave after BW is over unlike Cilan.

Besides Cilan can have his moments int he final arc as soon as they are getting closer to Striaton City and the Connoisseur Association where they take exams. Also Cilan's lack of captures may have to do with them wantign to fill his spots in the next region without leaving Crustle or Stunfisk behind.

So, in summary, if both Iris & Cilan leaves at the end of BW:
- If Cilan gets screwed, it´s fine
- If Iris gets screwed, it´s unfair

Your ignorance is beyond repair. The way I personally see it is if both of them had equal focus, then it would basically confirm both are leaving.

Since that isn't the case, the ideal situation for me is that Iris gets the focus for the remainder of BW and then Cilan continues on to the next region. But if he is leaving, then I have no issue with him getting focus now. It all comes down to whether the writers care to give it to him.

Haunter ゴースト

There's no reason to leave Cilan in the dark really when we have a tonne of fillers with no character focus half the time, but regardless the writers seem to be doing it anyway and the reason is simple.

Iris is almost guaranteed to leave so all of the secondary character development after Ash is directed to her, Cilan will probably stay for Gen VI and get his fair share.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Just because Iris is more likely to leave that's no reason to neglect Cilan. His lack of real development has been one of my major dislikes of best wishes

Agreed. I feel that is unfair that Cilan got almost nothing during his run. He should receive more focus. Maybe less than Iris (if he really goes to the next region), but still have his good share of development.

Last edited:

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Coz they are done playing with him

I don't know. It annoys me because I want to see my favorite character do something other than smile and cellular respirate.

But at least he was funny in the Cheren epi, and he had a small little moment in epi 6.

And what even worries me more is if he DOES go to gen 6 who's to say he won't play the same role in BW2? :x

Last edited:

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
Reason: the anime promotes the games. More specially, because the roles of Cilan and Iris in the games.

In BW, Cilan is the main Gym leader of the Striation Trio in Black and White. And Oshawott is the most popular starter what caused that Cilan is getting popularity. However, Iris is only the 8th Gym leader and only in Pokemon White (Black is more popular) what caused that Iris isn't that popular. In it, Cilan gets more screentime than Iris.

In B2W2, the situation is very different. Cilan isn't a Gym Leader anymore while Iris is Champion* in the both games. Although Iris can't be CHampion in the anime because that means that Iris must age (impossible now) this caused that Iris were more popular than Cilan.

Notice that when a character doesn't really promoted the games the characters gets less screentime than usual like with Brock in AG and DP.

Ash is officially Red** in anime version, and unofficially Brendan, Lucas and Hilbert***, meaning that always is promoting the games and it is always popular.

*This is why Iris in the anime got a 600 BST pokemon It's Dragonite because that thing it's popular.

**Ash acts like a Red who travel for three regions, Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto. To Ash start adapting other game characters, Ash and Piakchu are "resetted".

***Because the writers acan't reallistic promotes the sequels in the anime Ash is acting like Hilbert during all the generation.

@Haunter, @Taidow, Cilan's lack of screentime don't help him staying for Gen VI at all.

Last edited:

Canada

Banned
Because he is. :/ the writers are too busy focusing on other characters. derp.

gliscor&yanmega

Its like hes become D/P Brock 2.0, both he and Iris are sidekicks yet for some reason they are giving Iris special treatment, why is that? I'm confused. I'm not trying to hate on Iris, you'd think they'd give Dento as much as Iris is all. Do the writers hate male sidekicks or some thing?

Cilan isn't being left in the dark. He's had episodes for himself relating to his goals and just expanding on his character.

Episodes that focus on Cilan in some way:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Episodes_focusing_on_Cilan
I don't know about the Cheren episode, but most of the others did focus on him, fleshing out his character overall, being a sommelier of a few different things and having those fleshed out.

Episodes that focus on Iris in some way:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Episodes_focusing_on_Iris
Only a few more then Cilan.

Cilan might not be getting anything right now, but there's a bunch going on the writers might just wait after Episode N to deal with him some more.

Ninfia

Fairy type
I actually think that it might be due to Cilan getting much more battling focus in the beginning, when Iris had nothing she could battle with. Excadrill was cocooned, Axew was too immature and Emolga was too flaky. Now that she's grown and her Pokemon are better-trained, she's making up for lost time whilst showing off how much she's improved since the beginning. Notice how Axew has more battles as of late.

With Cilan, he still uses Pansage semi-regularly, and Crustle had tons of focus. Cilan himself didn't really improve as a trainer, he just brought out the potential in his Pokemon. And since his goal is less battle-oriented than Iris's, he was given a chance to sit back and show off his knowledge rather than skills.

I know I'm dumb.

knux-the-killer

At least he has loads of screentime, that's absolutely remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.