• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Dento getting left in the dark here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
@Haunter, @Taidow, Cilan's lack of screentime don't help him staying for Gen VI at all.

Did not stop Brock form returning in DP.
Lack of screentime actually helps him stay for Gen 6 even more.

gliscor&yanmega

Forget screentime. I would want him to get more development just so we can learn more about Pokemon Connoisseurs. We still don't know what S-ranks and B-ranks are like.

Cilan explained their purpose:
S-Class: Highest of the Connoisseur classes. They are experts and may open their own shop.
A-Class: They are known due to their ability and they may open their own shop.
B-Class: They are readers and may be assistants but still may not open their own shop.
C-Class: Lowest of the Connoisseur classes. They are beginners and are typically only assistants of an A-Class or above Connoisseurs.

I don't see what else they can really do, we know what Sommelier do, we know the rankings and their basic roles. Aside from seeing some of the B-Rank and S-Rank there's not much to really expand on, and showing a B-Rank doesn't seem like the most necessary thing in the world anyways.

Haunter ゴースト

Cilan explained their purpose:
S-Class: Highest of the Connoisseur classes. They are experts and may open their own shop.
A-Class: They are known due to their ability and they may open their own shop.
B-Class: They are readers and may be assistants but still may not open their own shop.
C-Class: Lowest of the Connoisseur classes. They are beginners and are typically only assistants of an A-Class or above Connoisseurs.

I don't see what else they can really do, we know what Sommelier do, we know the rankings and their basic roles. Aside from seeing some of the B-Rank and S-Rank there's not much to really expand on, and showing a B-Rank doesn't seem like the most necessary thing in the world anyways.

That's exactly the glory of Cilan already being a high-rank Connoisseur. He doesn't need a tonne of actual improvements or development, simply episodes dedicated to him one way or another.

His goal is perfectly set up for him to travel around with Ash because his goal that he's working towards doesn't exactly require him to stay behind, meaning he can travel with Ash without feeling like his goal is being messed with opposed to how Misty and Brocks goals.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash

I think that they could make something like Cilan helping a B-Rank Connoisseur in becoming a A-Rank. Maybe it that way he will be incited into improving himself (and will give development to both the COTD and him), while a S-Rank may inspire him. I know that the goal is quite vague, but I think that something may come out of it.

gliscor&yanmega

That's exactly the glory of Cilan already being a high-rank Connoisseur. He doesn't need a tonne of actual improvements or development, simply episodes dedicated to him one way or another.

His goal is perfectly set up for him to travel around with Ash because his goal that he's working towards doesn't exactly require him to stay behind, meaning he can travel with Ash without feeling like his goal is being messed with opposed to how Misty and Brocks goals.

That is something people should keep in mind, whether a character actually "needs" development or not. Whether people want to believe it or not, not all characters are made to be developed(Although this generally implies to minor/side characters), also, some aren't in need of a lot of development to start with. Being A-Rank means Cilan knows what he's doing and all that, the best development for him is having an S-Rank Sommelier do whatever with him, which to me seems better suited for when he leaves, there's really nothing else that is of "need" for development of him, they can do more if they want but it's not likely it's necessary. It's easy to say "*Enter character here* needs development" it's another thing to actually explain what about the character "needs" to be developed.

I think that they could make something like Cilan helping a B-Rank Connoisseur in becoming a A-Rank. Maybe it that way he will be incited into improving himself (and will give development to both the COTD and him), while a S-Rank may inspire him. I know that the goal is quite vague, but I think that something may come out of it.

He's pretty much already trying to help Burgundy improve herself as a Sommelier. Having their Sommelier "battles" from time to time, giving advice and acting as her rival for her to improve and get her "revenge". While they could still deal with bringing in a B and S-rank, it's not something that's going to really tell us anything we don't already know, it'll only flesh out the whole Sommelier thing(Not saying that's a problem or anything though). I do think they should do something with B and S-Rank, and they could still do as such, there is a few more episodes left and considering S-Rank inspiration seems more like a final thing to me, I wouldn't be surprise if it happens near the end, unless Cilan continues onto X/Y series, then I don't know. B-Rank I feel could be fine either way, if anything, I rather Burgundy just becomes one at the end.

I'm sure Cilan will get more with his main goal, but right now it's not in focus of the show, once Episode N is done with, it's not unlikely that something wont happen with Cilan again, especially when it comes to being a Sommelier. But as it stands, we know what Sommeliers are like and what are expected from them.

pokemon fan 132

I wouldn't say how Cilan is being left behind, at least not to the point that you could get feeling how hes in background not doing anything. He still provides comedy and dynamic interaction in cast with his personality, use his pokemon like Pansage contributing to episode plots or when needing to battle villains etc.

Not so long ago he had tag battle with Ash against Soren and Ricko, helping them when trying to catch water type pokemon. And if i recall right he played some interesting role in Cheren debut episode too.

If you ask me its more that writers are now balancing things out after Cilan being much more prominent in first half of Unova sometimes overshadowing female part of group. By giving slightly more focus to Iris now since she is likely set up to leave cast after BW series making sure to give her sufficient amount of growth which could allow to partially close down her story and sent her away.

In comparison Cilan was barely developed as far as his connoisseur career goes, there were left unanswered quite a few things about procedure and way you can gain higher rank as trainer which identify compatibility between pokemon and their trainers to see if they're matched for each other.
He was left undefined as character on large part, not being build up for anything with future and direction in which he might go being highly precarious at this point.
Making it certain to some degree how writers might keep him pass 5th generation to add more balance and stability in main cast by giving viewers another familiar face beside Ash, in fulfilling role of older care taker, while being fleshed out more as character.

Than again more coherent and continuity based story as well stable cast was never one of writers main priorities, so things could go either way for 6th gen.

As far as Misty and Brock go not necessarily.
Perhaps in Brock case since studying to become doctor usually requires stay in one place. Although there exist traveling doctors and he could always go on adventure to learn about new ways of haling consulting with other docs but i digress.

But as far as Misty go since her goal is to become strongest water trainer in world being showed how her dream requires traveling and entering high level tournaments if you want to rank up as trainer with gym not being sufficient, there is no harm in going on venture to learn new things and advance like Wallace, Koga, or currently Cilan does.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Cilan is kind of pretty much perfect until he reaches S-Rank.

And surely enough, he'll reach that rank once he stops evaluating (or insulting in an extremely sophisticated manner) his opponents during his own battles.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I honestly don't care if his goal is elaborated or not. Just as long as he doesn't fade far in the background where people will say "good riddance" once he leaves. :x

At least he does more than Mori. >.> But he's getting close gosh darn it and didn't even get a character theme.

You know I never really thought of him as "perfect." They always made it pretty clear that while he knows his stuff, he's still got a long way to go. I still like that Purrloin episode just because he thought of something that no one else did and the COTDs were against him. I don't think that was a special "Dento-knack" it was something anyone could do if they took the time to settle down and look at the things around them. Which is ironic for Dento, and pretty good development to because a lot of things goes over his head from either arrogance or just by being the hyper-active dork (I say this affectionately) he is. He doesn't need someone to tell him how to solve his problems, he takes the things he learns on the way and incorporates them into himself.

There guys. Dento did develop. :p

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Oh boy, a thread about bashing Iris because there aren't enough episodes about Cilan always being right and/or beating up Burgundy. I'm soooooooo surprised.

It's almost like his overshadowing just about everything and everyone from just after Castelia all the way until near the Roxie arc never happened.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
^ Sigh, why people have to always bring Iris in a Cilan's topic and viceversa? Why can't we talk about a character and only said character? -_-

Let's face it: Cilan had got little development in his goal. I think that they have focused too much in his hobbies and quirks, instead of focusing on his Connoisseur's career. Sure, he got the Pinot Noir episode, the twins' episode and the various Burgundy's confrontations, but what else?

Last edited:

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
^ He got the Pod episode too. That episode was good, and it also shown how close the brothers are to each other.

Gosh I seem to be the only one worried about Dento being in the background rather than development. ._. I would like to see an exam or something (which could happen when/if they get closer to Striaton, or the writers just forgot) but I like all of Dento's character quirk. It's refreshing to see him like to read books, fish, fanboy of trains and cause a raucous etc. I don't know if I'd be much of a fan if he wasn't as quirky and they were just one-time things...where they don't feel like he actually is a fan of the things.

If nothing with his Sommelier goal, it'd be amazing if they had something happen with the Gym though. If this is the last of Dento, I'd rather something happen with the Gym. I kind of think that's where his heart lies, he clearly never "quit" like Brock did.

Though the most I want to see is more of his wackiness or his cocky-braggart side. :/ They just are calming him too much. The Cheren episode though at least helped a bit but @.@

Last edited:

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
^ He got the Pod episode too. That episode was good, and it also shown how close the brothers are to each other.

Right, that was a good episode indeed.

Gosh I seem to be the only one worried about Dento being in the background rather than development. ._. I would like to see an exam or something (which could happen when/if they get closer to Striaton, or the writers just forgot) but I like all of Dento's character quirk. It's refreshing to see him like to read books, fish, fanboy of trains and cause a raucous etc. I don't know if I'd be much of a fan if he wasn't as quirky and they were just one-time things...where they don't feel like he actually is a fan of the things.

There is nothing wrong in having various quirks. In all honesty, that's what I like about his character. However, I'd like to see him progress in his goal. It's rarely touched and seems to be done mostly for comedic purposes (with the various "[insert topic here] Connoisseur"), I think.

If nothing with his Sommelier goal, it'd be amazing if they had something happen with the Gym though. If this is the last of Dento, I'd rather something happen with the Gym. I kind of think that's where his heart lies, he clearly never "quit" like Brock did.

Well, they could make like in BW2 and close the Gym for whatever reason. In that way, he could be able to travel with Ash and hone his skills.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
^ Sigh, why people have to always bring Iris in a Cilan's topic and viceversa? Why can't we talk about a character and only said character? -_-

Because... she was brought up the moment this thread started? But sure, let's not pay that any mind...

Let's face it: Cilan had got little development in his goal. I think that they have focused too much in his hobbies and quirks, instead of focusing on his Connoisseur's career. Sure, he got the Pinot Noir episode and the various Burgundy's confrontations, but what else?

He has little to develop into because he was portrayed as perfect in nearly every regard from the moment he was introduced.

PokeMaster366

I'm still kind of surprised that we haven't had a completed Triple Battle yet, especially considering tht they're much more common in BW2 game-wise. It would have been kind of a treat if we were introduced to Triple Battles when Ash challenged Dent and his brothers.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
There is nothing wrong in having various quirks. In all honesty, that's what I like about his character. However, I'd like to see him progress in his goal. It's rarely touched and seems to be done mostly for comedic purposes (with the various "[insert topic here] Connoisseur"), I think.

His character quirks are funny, but what gets me to smile is his overzealous behavior. What I like is it's not a one-shot gag. Granted, it has been with Iris's "what a pain" which caused him to sulk in the Kibago episode, but he still played detective a bit more in the episode anyway, just not "THERE SHALL BE NO UNSOLVABLE CRIME, AND NO UNCORKABLE CORK"

Well, they could make like in BW2 and close the Gym for whatever reason. In that way, he could be able to travel with Ash and hone his skills.

That's what I was thinking. But they probably won't, but maybe it'd become near to shutting down? I doubt the Shadow Triad would have anything to do with it...but come to think of it the brothers quit because they felt useless and weak. :x That, and people/Gym Leaders said "that it takes 3 of them to make one Gym Leader" which I'd love if that was a bit of a touchy spot for Dento in th

TGB said:
He has little to develop into because he was portrayed as perfect in nearly every regard from the moment he was introduced.

Kind of ironic that he joined Ash because he wasn't perfect...lol.

I still don't see how he's "perfect" other than he played teacher to Burgundy. I didn't know flaws had to be overcome for them to be flaws.

Last edited:
Cilan is not DP Brock. He's still interesting, he has screen time, and he has proven himself an awesome character, IMO.

Plus there's no BS 1 episode making him into a doctor because the writers feel like it.

The only part of him that's being left in the dark is his development. I agree with that much.

because the writters do not know how to properly develop characters
pokemon or human

simple as that

Brock at least got some development and some cool battles..Dento had some nice battles with Crustle but hasnt really dont much else...
sad but true

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
His character quirks are funny, but what gets me to smile is his overzealous behavior. What I like is it's not a one-shot gag. Granted, it has been with Iris's "what a pain" which caused him to sulk in the Kibago episode, but he still played detective a bit more in the episode anyway, just not "THERE SHALL BE NO UNSOLVABLE CRIME, AND NO UNCORKABLE CORK"

And the funny part is, when Iris dares have 'quirks' of her own, you get a 50 post thread whining about how much of a Mary Sue she is and how much she sucks compared to Dawn.

Kind of ironic that he joined Ash because he wasn't perfect...lol.

I still don't see how he's "perfect" other than he played teacher to Burgundy. I didn't know flaws had to be overcome for them to be flaws.

Okay, where are his flaws? Where are they in-universe? From an outsider's perspective he can come off as an arrogant, pretentious person who knows everything even when it requires ridiculous leaps of logic like in the first Subway episode. Yet, in-universe, everyone likes him and needs to learn from his 'wise' advice, and those who step out of line (Burgundy, Skyla, etc.) gets portrayed as a complete idiot who just needed him to ride to the rescue and show them the light. Only once, in that awful sky/earth twins episode, was his advice even hinted to ever be wrong. Otherwise, he's the all-knowing Connoisseur of everything.

So tell me, what flaws?

Status
Not open for further replies.