• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Dento getting left in the dark here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Lol, this is the first time I've seen a topic about Cilan being "left out." Like really, he gets a role in every other episode, which is more than can be said about previous traveling companions. I'm not here for Cilan, but even I know that he's done a great job being active in every aspect of the anime. He doesn't need more development though because as I've pointed out and as others probably have as well, the whole point of Cilan's character is that he's perfect. He's the opposite of Iris, who needs more development to reach her goal.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
And the funny part is, when Iris dares have 'quirks' of her own, you get a 50 post thread whining about how much of a Mary Sue she is and how much she sucks compared to Dawn.

I don't really think that's why people call her a Mary Sue, but heck I don't even know why people have called her one. This thread isn't about Iris anyway.

As for Iris her quirks are:

-Snarky behavior (what a pain/kid)
-Dislikes the academics
-Scared of Ice-types
-Likes some Football teams/sports
-Eats around romance

But her quirks don't have as much focus as Dento's.

Yet, in-universe, everyone likes him and needs to learn from his 'wise' advice, and those who step out of line (Burgundy, Skyla, etc.) gets portrayed as a complete idiot who just needed him to ride to the rescue and show them the light.

Blah I could argue more but this is just getting into bias stuff.

Flaws don't need to be spoon fed to people to be flaws. People don't need to overcome their flaws to have a flaw.

So tell me, what flaws?

-Overzealous
-Confident/borderline cocky to where he tells his opponents his plans
-Afraid of Purrloin

Those are indeed character flaws, they spice him up.

Let's look at Iris's flaws:

-She thought winning was the most important thing (when she was little)
-Her snarky behavior
-Afraid of ice-types
-Can't read/bad at school
-She can be overconfident at times, and even a bit vengeful

The only difference is that Iris had to come to terms with Excadrill, she was just a little girl then, she didn't know she hurt him. And she has gotten better with Ice-types.

LizardonX

Banned
Cilan shows up in every single episode.

Also I kind of liked how Dageki pwnt Yanappu in the donamite when Kenyon interrupted his tasting time.

Graham Aker

Look another thread where we get to Cilan complainers complaing about Iris complainers. I've gotten to the point where I just don't care anymore, about Iris' rushed and meandered "development" or Cilan's lack-there-of, and repetitive gimmiks. If this series get's even worse as it goes through the years, it wouldn't surprise me. Far as I'm concerned all the characters in Best Wishes are poorly written, and lack decent development.

Last edited:

yana-ice

I do feel that Cilan is getting too little focus. Iris had more episode focusing on herself, battles, childhood , pokemons and etc. Cilan's pokemon even had less screentime and personality compare to Iris. Even if he did get one episode, it's screentime is shared. Not like Iris who had whole episode about her. I hope writer start giving him new pokemon and several episodes about him. I just hope Cilan and Iris had fair treatment which I don't see now. I know female character were mostly treated better but not in that way.

Squirtle_007

Look another thread where we get to Cilan complainers complaing about Iris complainers. I've gotten to the point where I just don't care anymore, about Iris' rushed and meandered "development" or Cilan's lack-there-of, and repetitive gimmiks. If this series get's even worse as it goes through the years, it wouldn't surprise me. Far as I'm concerned all the characters in Best Wishes are poorly written, and lack decent development.

And an example of a "well written" Pokémon anime character would be ...

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
To this point, Cilan feels like his only role is to be the third traveling companion.

And nothing else beyond that. The writers don't want Ash to develop romantic feelings being with just Iris alone...I think.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Blah I could argue more but this is just getting into bias stuff.

Flaws don't need to be spoon fed to people to be flaws. People don't need to overcome their flaws to have a flaw.

But they do need to overcome their flaws in order to have character development. And Cilan's flaws are all presented as his strengths.

Burgundy and Skyla's characters were derailed (or designed, in Burgundy's case) to exist purely to glorify him.

-Overzealous
]

If these were actually presented as flaws you'd have a point. Instead he is always depicted as right even when he isn't - his overzealousness is supposed to be "endearing" and his cockiness when he starts bullying people with Tasting Times during battles is supposed to be comical. When Ash does something obnoxious he's usually supposed to learn a lesson from it (or at least he used to), Cilan's not learned a lesson once.

-Afraid of Purrloin

Stopped being a flaw the moment it was discarded without any buildup just so he could be seen as correct (again) in the Ricard Nouveau episode.

Let's look at Iris's flaws:

-She thought winning was the most important thing (when she was little)
-Her snarky behavior
-Afraid of ice-types
-Can't read/bad at school
-She can be overconfident at times, and even a bit vengeful

The only difference is that Iris had to come to terms with Excadrill, she was just a little girl then, she didn't know she hurt him. And she has gotten better with Ice-types.

And yet she's changed more than Cilan has, even with that little.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
^

Not about change. Flaws are flaws no matter how endearing they are, because you could say all together that's what they are for. It's to engage the viewer into the character. Sometimes for stories and sometimes for humor. When flaws are overcome, that is character development like you said. Dento didn't *technically* one could argue though.

So tl;dr:

Dento has flaws, but he has not developed from them. But that's ok because he is a fun, energetic character. He doesn't need to in order to be enjoyable.

Last edited:

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten

Ash (before AG/DP)
Brock (see above)
Iris
Misty

I also agree with TGB.

Last edited:

Squirtle_007

Ash (before AG/DP)
Brock (see above)
Iris
Misty

I also agree with TGB.

Ash: Yes, I´ve always thought that he should left after Orange Islands and change the main character just like in Pokémon Special
Brock: I don´t want to get another warning so I will just say "WTF!?"
Iris: That guy says that BW is vomit and the creators of that season should commit sepukku for doing such an abomination so ... that would upset him
Misty: Togepi was her doom, and she got a very crappy ending

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ash: Yes, I´ve always thought that he should left after Orange Islands and change the main character just like in Pokémon Special
Brock: I don´t want to get another warning so I will just say "WTF!?"
Iris: That guy says that BW is vomit and the creators of that season should commit sepukku for doing such an abomination so ... that would upset him
Misty: Togepi was her doom, and she got a very crappy ending

Ash: I must agree, they've dragged him on for far too long. I don't support character replacing, but I don't have much faith in the writers to make him good again.
Iris: That is some awesome vomit!! :p Hah, kidding
Misty: Agreed about the crappy ending, as for Togepi, I disagree.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~

depends on what you view as well written. :/...

No matter how it good it gets, people will complain about it being able to be better. Its called "endless desire". XD I've seen it where some of the "best" and "most well written" things are criticized beyond belief just based upon preference.

So really. I could consider Ash well written by this annoying ever-changing (Or subjective) standard. He fufills his purpose to his audience no? >:/

I Consider Dawn to be well written enough. I consider Iris to be written well enough. I consider Dento to be written well enough for me to like him. Which is the point of a show and such. (You know, to invoke an emotional response. :p)

I will give you one. Hint he is male.

lol whut? who is you talking about? XD

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

That's funny because a while ago when we were discussing the way Cilan becomes arrogant when he battles people like Burgundy, I could've sworn that certain people defended that part of his personality claiming that it made him interesting and that it wasn't really an issue. How things change.

I don't think he's changed at all to begin with, so I'm actually confused as to why some people think he has. Like, he was the same when he debuted as he is now. I don't think he learned anything new or changed as a person. The same could be said about previous male companions like Brock and Tracey; the guys just don't develop the way the girls do for some reason. I'm not sure if that's intentional or a coincidence, but it's definitely worth looking into. I just want to know what it is that makes some people believe Cilan has matured as a Connoisseur.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
^ Well I was just taking general things that people can think of as a flaw (I guess they don't have to lol).

But I don't know. I guess because when I hear "Dento has no flaws" I don't really think of his wiser-Sommelier side, the first image to pop in my head of him is the scene where his face is planted against a screen looking at the "driver's seat." That's not normal lol. He just feels so childish when he's supposed to be the "mature one". I guess that could be another reason he feels like he has "flaws" to me, but this probably comes with how much you like the character. I mean, when you like something you take a lot of notice into them, maybe even too much but that's more of my opinion, I guess.

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
The writers are probably setting him aside at the moment because they have plans for him that can't be fulfilled at the current place in the show. Plus, Iris most likely has less time left. Her place is in Unova, mainly in Opelucid, where she will eventually hone her skills and become champion. Cilan, though, doesn't continue with being a gym leader, as shown in BW2. He'll try to become a better Connoisseur. If you think about it, Burgundy and Cilan also speak a little bit of French, I believe. The new Gen VI region is supposedly based off of France. Maybe that is the origin place of the Connoisseurs, where the best go to complete their training and become an S-Rank. Cilan could go with Ash and probably have a huge role.

Status
Not open for further replies.