• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Dento getting left in the dark here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I like Cilan but I think he would have worked better back in DP when Dawn was on the show. If DP was Ash, Dawn, Cilan....DP would have been more entertaining to watch.

pokemon fan 132

As far as Cilan goes everything he did so far portrayed him as competent and confident person in almost every aspect. He is good at fishing,resolving mysteries,cooking without experiencing any failures not having to prove himself to anyone or overcome some obstacle.

Some may say Cilan lack of any real flaws may be because he isn't intended to go through big development with main purpose lying in being like older caretaker/big brother of group who cooks, takes care of them and brings stability in main cast while bring comedy and entertainment value in cast with his fun quirks.
That's true, though on negative side this hinders his potential to grow further in character sense being easier for such type of characters to end up static and stale eventually due to not having any real flaws or set path to shake him up providing new, fresh twists to story and characterization.

I guess in end Cilan saving grace which gives him potential to last for multiple generations is extreme versatility he has as character having various quirks and hobbies. Making all that easier for writers to keep him active and take in new directions through his various interests which could evolve in something bigger to compensate for passiveness of his original goal at times.

Ehh ... OK, we have a winner :D

May rules (n_n)!

That's highly subjective. Every character has its share of well and badly written moments.

Ash: Yes, I´ve always thought that he should left after Orange Islands and change the main character just like in Pokémon Special

Personally i thought Ash was handled pretty good in Hoenn being refreshing to see him in light of more mature trainer taking role of mentor to may, and to some smaller extent in Sinnoh.

Misty: Togepi was her doom, and she got a very crappy ending

Agreed about ending, but as far as Togepi goes i disagree. If anything Togepi played valuable role being step toward Misty becoming more mature and independent breaking from sister shadow and learning to appreciate more her friends or pokemon. While retaining her charm and enjoyable quirks still being full of fire and snark in more subtle manner.

In characterization Misty was one of few which stayed interesting after development imo with changing proving to be positive to her in Johto, chronicles and AG enriching personality. She was definitely complex imo.

I saw that Misty was very crap on in Johto, I still think that it should of been Crystal the one that accompany Ash on Johto and just use her for Kanto and Orange Islands, the only reason why she was there was because of the fact that Gold and Silver included Kanto gym leaders, but I digress

Its hard to view for me someone as "crap" considering she received more development, battling and focus on her own story and dreams in Johto being on large part source of appeal and humor in Johto making several episodes which would be otherwise mediocre in watchable ones.

Such view imo only encourage uncreative writing, since instead of having writers confront their mistakes investing more in someone recapturing his appeal among viewers all problems are swept under the rug by choosing easier way of introducing someone else who goes through basic growth ending in same boat. Not being forced to learn on mistakes they made with someone coming up with innovative, fresh ways to keep him fun and build on storyline giving them more substantial growth. Something which never happens because character always leave after learning basics.

But to each their own i guess.

Last edited:

Eneci

FrogadierMasterLucas
I like Dento, but disLike the way the writers handle him lately. . . He was a good character but they are barely mentioning his Connoisseur skills etc.

No captures no Poke developments no progresses. I hope he stays one more gen. Better him than an other fast introduced male character.

LizardonX

Banned

Moonlight Amaryllis

♪smoke and mirrors♪
I honestly don't think that Cilan is in the dark that much, but I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen anyone else bring this up;

Why is Cilan afraid of Purrloin? This issue has only been touched a few times, but it seems like there has to be some important reason why. Perhaps that certain character trait will recieve some central focus in the Plasma arc, seeing they're fond of Dark-Types--at least in the game, anyways...I'm not sure if they follow that in the anime.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Its like hes become D/P Brock 2.0, both he and Iris are sidekicks yet for some reason they are giving Iris special treatment, why is that? I'm confused. I'm not trying to hate on Iris, you'd think they'd give Dento as much as Iris is all. Do the writers hate male sidekicks or some thing?

Newsflash, Dento was always Brock 2.0 after the Clubplosion. The writers just don't know how to do male companions or female rivals any better than they have always been handling them. Poorly. This is why gymleader boys shouldn't be on the show. This is why I like Tracey more than both of them.

Look another thread where we get to Cilan complainers complaing about Iris complainers. I've gotten to the point where I just don't care anymore, about Iris' rushed and meandered "development" or Cilan's lack-there-of, and repetitive gimmiks. If this series get's even worse as it goes through the years, it wouldn't surprise me. Far as I'm concerned all the characters in Best Wishes are poorly written, and lack decent development.

This. The writing for Best Wishes and their characters have been aweful since day one. It started with Ash, then Trip then everyone else. They it started to get worse for some(Burgundy) and even worse for others(Cameron). I wasn't surprised that Cilan was going to be another one of those characters that the writers seemed like they forgot or just don't want to get a care to.

I like Cilan but I think he would have worked better back in DP when Dawn was on the show. If DP was Ash, Dawn, Cilan....DP would have been more entertaining to watch.

You really don't know that Cyber. He might have been just as over the top as he was in the first part of BW and boring in BW2. Just because he interacted with Dawn well in Unova doesn't mean he would have in Sinnoh. Besides, Cilan is abit like Dawn in a sort of sparkly type of way. They would have clashed too much with each other now looking back.

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
DP brock is much smarter than cilan.

Cilan's time will come remeber a farewell ep is always about the char leaving.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
But even then, Cilan seems a little bit too perfect right from the get-go.

I must agree. There's really nothing for him to accomplish, making him more uninteresting (in my opinion).

Last edited:

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
That's because he has been on for a long time. However that didn't stop him from becoming more bland and boring.

As bland and boring as he got, he's still better than Cilan :p

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
As bland and boring as he got, he's still better than Cilan :p

Well when Dent is the opposite of bland and boring, I don't know how Takeshi can be considered a better character but sure, if bland and boring is better then funny and interesting.

Oh this is just a matter of opinion I forgot!

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well when Dent is the opposite of bland and boring, I don't know how Takeshi can be considered a better character but sure, if bland and boring is better then funny and interesting.

Oh this is just a matter of opinion I forgot!

I don't find Cilan entertaining. In fact, ironically, all of their attempts to make him "stand out" or whatever made him bland and boring, at least that's how I feel.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I think Cilan's just starting to wane a bit in entertainment because his sparkling, spinning, sommelier gags, etc. have been done a fair amount by this point and I would desperately prefer some character development, depth, or plot-line in his character. They did give him a rival after all, I just want him to be challenged as a character and struggle in a way. I find that more enriching than him trying to find a lost Cubchoo tbh. I was expecting him to have lost to Burgundy at least once by now, Dewott battling and defeating Pansage but that might end Burgundy's motive for being his rival since she's only his rival for revenge's sake. I would at least like him to have development.

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
I'm so glad we can all agree that this is only an opinion.

No Brock acted like a father figure in DP rather than a big brother and its too bad most people were so caught up trying to pin blame on dawn for everything that DP did poorly that they couldn't even see that.

Canada

Banned
Please explain how Stunfisk is useless. I cannot see how anyone could come to this conclusion.

BlueDragonfangirl

I'm now starting to think the writers just don't know what the heck to do with him, even in the climax they seem clueless what to do with him.

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
I still think Dento is hilarious and awesome with his sillynes, but he really do need development. Maybe it's for the best he'll stay with Ash for the next region and get some more things to do. Hell, I'd even see him do Contests, cuz' he's be awesome at it~

Status
Not open for further replies.