• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Dento getting left in the dark here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
There was plenty of this between Castelia and Virbank. Iris didn't really get much significant focus at all until Dragonite came along, but Cilan had his time just as you described. Give someone other than him a chance for once.

No he didn't episodes with him usually ended up with Satoshi doing the work or even Iris, like the fishing sommelier episode that wasn't that much about him, or the train sommelier that once again, wasn't about or the detective sommelier that once again it wasn't all about him.

The only episodes focused on him that actually showed something was when he helps his brother and helping the girl in the Pinot Noir episode and the gym battle against Skyla.

Iris got the Excadrill episode, the first tournament, the Axew episodes(that are more about focusing on her pokemon and not her but ok), the Drudigon, the Deino, had a big role in the TR two parter with the Kamis, I'm sure I can find more stuff for both of them but the diference is clear, the problem was people wanted Iris with another dragon and then used that as an argument for her not getting attention.

Still once again I'm happy Iris gets attention, the more the merrier but Dent can get some to without taking Iris time away like I said, so lets not start a character war here again guys, if the writers want they can get him doing something, he could have been useful in recent episodes but they just decided not to, it has nothing to do with Iris, I have complained that in this arc the writers are showing Iris pokemon a lot even in comparison to Satoshi but thats all, I wouldn't mind seeing Krokoodile appear to dig a hole instead of Excadrill but to me its the same as the whole Dent and Iris thing, they don't need to take screentime away from her pokemon to give to others just get the others a role.

I am sure Iris is leaving at the end of the arc and I was like if Dent stays he can get attention later but seeing his current treatment if this is the attention he will get and eventually turn into a boring sidekick instead of an interesting sidekick, I prefer that he also leaves like Iris but since his dream and theme can fit well with Pokefrance maybe he gets something interesting to do in X and Y but the new girl for obvious reasons(being a new character) will get more attention.

Last edited:

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
^ Pretty much this. The point is that Cilan's personality stands out more compared to Iris and as such it seems that he got everything.

I'd like him to have some serious development for once.

Navarch

I feel like Dento is dead. He is just there to be there. I'm hoping he doesn't come to Gen VI. Don't make the same mistake, writers! Brock traveled for a long time to be a Pokemon Breeder, and in just one episode he decides to be a doctor...dead weight, besides cooking.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
^ Pretty much this. The point is that Cilan's personality stands out more compared to Iris and as such it seems that he got everything.

I'd like him to have some serious development for once.

I wouldn't mind an episode where we learn why he likes the things he does, or why he values hard work so much. It'd be interesting to have a flashback epi of the brothers struggling for their Gym title, and juggling the cafe at the same time. It could be an all work no play thing, so the tiny things Dento got to do (like fishing, tv etc) he got to really enjoy so it's like playing.

Which reminds me, people seem to think Dento "quit" being a Gym Leader, he clearly didn't. Cheren epi he said he still was one.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I wouldn't mind an episode where we learn why he likes the things he does, or why he values hard work so much. It'd be interesting to have a flashback epi of the brothers struggling for their Gym title, and juggling the cafe at the same time. It could be an all work no play thing, so the tiny things Dento got to do (like fishing, tv etc) he got to really enjoy so it's like playing.

Just make sure he gets bashed to kingdom come for daring to have screentime. Because there's totally not any sort of hypocritical double standard going on here, right?

Which reminds me, people seem to think Dento "quit" being a Gym Leader, he clearly didn't. Cheren epi he said he still was one.

And there's another double standard right there. He hasn't been at his Gym for a long time now but gets no consequence for it. Of course, when it comes to this we already know the rules don't apply to him.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Just make sure he gets bashed to kingdom come for daring to have screentime. Because there's totally not any sort of hypocritical double standard going on here, right?

And there's another double standard right there. He hasn't been at his Gym for a long time now but gets no consequence for it. Of course, when it comes to this we already know the rules don't apply to him.

The difference with Dento is that he has some lee way due to their being two other committed gym leaders.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
The difference with Dento is that he has some lee way due to their being two other committed gym leaders.

Only one now, unless Chili eventually went back.

Either way the Striaton Gym is officially led by three Gym Leaders, so his not being there is already breaking it. Chili and Cress aren't just a safety net to keep the Gym running like Misty's sisters. But if Chili still isn't there, it's effectively become a Water-type Gym, which cheats challengers even further.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature

I don't think we're on the same wavelength...

He said he was coming back and his brothers said it's ok they'd mind the gym while he's gone. Why would they punish him when they are equals?

Of course the Gym association could freak out. *shrug*

Also I'm 95% sure Chili went back to the Gym. I'm fairly certain he said he was heading back

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I don't think we're on the same wavelength...

Of course we're not.

He said he was coming back and his brothers said it's ok they'd mind the gym while he's gone. Why would they punish him when they are equals?

Of course the Gym association could freak out. *shrug*

As they should. Striaton Gym is officially a three-Leader Gym. His absence is breaking the system that Gym has by forcing challengers like Burgundy who would ordinarily face him due to having Oshawott to face Chili or Cress instead.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
As they should. Striaton Gym is officially a three-Leader Gym. His absence is breaking the system that Gym has by forcing challengers like Burgundy who would ordinarily face him due to having Oshawott to face Chili or Cress instead.

If that were the games, yes. But this isn't. The Striaton Brothers let the challengers choose who they want to battle.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Only one now, unless Chili eventually went back.

Either way the Striaton Gym is officially led by three Gym Leaders, so his not being there is already breaking it. Chili and Cress aren't just a safety net to keep the Gym running like Misty's sisters. But if Chili still isn't there, it's effectively become a Water-type Gym, which cheats challengers even further.

Chili said he was heading back at the end of that episode.

Also since the whole 2 out of three battles thing and with the challengers being able to choose who to battle, there is a lot more freedom for one of the leaders to leave.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Why is The Butler so bitter with Cilan leaving his post?

Misty left the gym in care of her sisters. Brock left it in charge of his father the first time, then his mother, and then Forrest. Cilan left it with Chili and Cress.

The gym in the anime doesn't work like the games. People just choose whom they want to battle. Thus the whole Ash thing. Trip and Burgundy just chose Chili and Cress for the challenge.

Who cares? If the anime if following the games then Lenora and Brycen have already closed their gyms by now. It will be a matter of time before Striaton Gym closes.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Chili said he was heading back at the end of that episode.

Okay, I honestly didn't remember that.

Also since the whole 2 out of three battles thing and with the challengers being able to choose who to battle, there is a lot more freedom for one of the leaders to leave.

The 2 out of 3 thing was a special case for Ash, which shouldn't have happened but everybody knows he's a special case as the main character. Every other challenger to that Gym we know about followed the game pattern of facing a single one of them based on which starter they had, at least until Burgundy was forced to battle Chili in her rematch. That gives us evidence to say that the Gym operates the same way as in the games usually.

_Taidow_ said:
Why is The Butler so bitter with Cilan leaving his post?

Because being the super-special snowflake that he is, Cilan gets a free pass for breaking his Gym and then we're supposed to praise him when he shoves his opinion down the throat of another Gym Leader who had nothing to do with him, because he's so cool and adorable with his hobbies and his tasting time.

It's hypocritical. There are other reasons I don't like Cilan, but dealing in this case specifically, if Skyla was as wrong as both the in-universe and fandom reactions indicated, Cilan is just as equally wrong. Both of them broke the official functioning of their individual Gyms.

Misty left the gym in care of her sisters. Brock left it in charge of his father the first time, then his mother, and then Forrest. Cilan left it with Chili and Cress.

Cerulean Gym's situation is an incomprehensible mess.

Oh, and Brock actually got Pewter Gym in trouble for doing that. They almost got their license revoked in that DP special that was never dubbed, the one that had Forrest battling Nurse Joy for the right to actually be named the new Gym Leader. In other words, with Pewter Gym, Brock screwed up by staying Gym Leader in name and even if it took the League years to catch it, they actually did and the consequences played out as one would expect.

Striaton Gym is a Gym that specifically advertises itself as officially having three leaders. Chili and Cress aren't just Cilan's siblings or his parents that can just fill the individual spot that's open while he's away - they're the co-Gym Leaders already, and they use different types (unlike with Cerulean Gym, where all four sisters always used Water-types, or Pewter Gym, where Forrest uses Rock-types and when Brock's mother tried to make it a Water Gym, she caused a problem.)

There is literally no way I can make this any simpler. Striaton Gym is not supposed to have one or two leaders, by design it's supposed to have three. It's the entire point of the gimmick of having three Gym Leaders in the first place. Even if you believe that every challenger gets a choice like Ash did, the system is still broken because you've removed one of the choices challengers are officially supposed to have.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Because being the super-special snowflake that he is, Cilan gets a free pass for breaking his Gym and then we're supposed to praise him when he shoves his opinion down the throat of another Gym Leader who had nothing to do with him, because he's so cool and adorable with his hobbies and his tasting time.

It's hypocritical. There are other reasons I don't like Cilan, but dealing in this case specifically, if Skyla was as wrong as both the in-universe and fandom reactions indicated, Cilan is just as equally wrong. Both of them broke the official functioning of their individual Gyms.

Not even close. Cilan left on his journey with acceptance from Chili and Cress to do so. Skyla just did whatever the hell she wanted to even when the former gym leader/grandfather protested her. It's one thing for Cilan to talk to his brothers and leave amicably and another to behave like a spoiled brat just because one doesn't want to do their duties as Gym Leader, half-*** them, and just fly around.

Doesn't matter, Misty returned because her sisters were incompetent. After she became Gym Leader she settled things.

Oh, and Brock actually got Pewter Gym in trouble for doing that. They almost got their license revoked in that DP special that was never dubbed, the one that had Forrest battling Nurse Joy for the right to actually be named the new Gym Leader. In other words, with Pewter Gym, Brock screwed up by staying Gym Leader in name and even if it took the League years to catch it, they actually did and the consequences played out as one would expect.

Uh no. They didn't get in trouble because of what Brock did at all. They got in trouble because Flint is incompetent and failed to deliver the official Gym Leader title transfer to the Pokémon Inspection Agency due to a small breeze.

Striaton Gym is a Gym that specifically advertises itself as officially having three leaders. Chili and Cress aren't just Cilan's siblings or his parents that can just fill the individual spot that's open while he's away - they're the co-Gym Leaders already, and they use different types (unlike with Cerulean Gym, where all four sisters always used Water-types, or Pewter Gym, where Forrest uses Rock-types and when Brock's mother tried to make it a Water Gym, she caused a problem.)[.QUOTE]

He left amicably and technically with permission from the other Gym Leaders. If you want to complain about someone complain about Fantina leaving her gym to travel w/o having a replacement or Clay for having Ash do a fetch quest before he battled Ash. Even after Cilan left they still had Fire and Water. Chili left temporarily without permission and that's when Cilan and Cress stepped in.

There is literally no way I can make this any simpler. Striaton Gym is not supposed to have one or two leaders, by design it's supposed to have three. It's the entire point of the gimmick of having three Gym Leaders in the first place. Even if you believe that every challenger gets a choice like Ash did, the system is still broken because you've removed one of the choices challengers are officially supposed to have.

Once again, who cares? Since the anime is following BW2, then Striaton Gym will eventually close anyway. They closed it as they all wanted to train individually for a while. This was already hinted at in the anime by having Cilan join Ash, and having Chili wanting to go on his journey as well.

...But that actually goes against his character since, well, that's what makes him fabulous in the first place. No evaluation time equals a blank Cilan.

Now he's just a white Brock with green hair.

Great, so now we've lost possibly my favorite character introduce in DP or BW. First time I've actually enjoyed someone's presence on this series in a long time, too. I'm sad he's leaving, actually. Yeah, his food puns are definitely Grade-A crap, but Cilan was a really funny character at times and I enjoyed his tenure on the series. After what DP did to Brock IMHO, Cilan was just..I can't believe how grateful I am he showed up when he did. He never came off as a dick to me, never outright rude, albeit I can see why he was seen as TOO perfect, but I never felt that way so much as he was too flashy at times. I always thought Cilan/Dent was a goofball who wasn't afraid to be himself, and I greatly admire and enjoy his presence in BW. *sigh*

Iris...I don't know. She was either great, or a complete ***** that you just despise. Overall, she has a good heart though, and I'll actually miss her too. I'm so glad she's been easing up on the "Kodomone" and "You're (such) a little kid!" That crap got older than Cilan's food puns and flavor descriptions to me. Iris just came off as an egotistical holier- than-though person when she said that. That's the only thing I didn't like about Iris, though. XD.

Ash is a joke compared to what he used to be. Just a caricature of his former self. Same goes for Team Rocket. You can only repeat the same BS so many times with them before they grow stale. Their current dub voices don't add any excitement to the role, either, so that doesn't help. And since the switch, it's always felt like Ash and TRio are just shadows of themselves...almost fake and like we're hearing inferior quality versions of the characters now. Ash is more tolerable than Team Rocket is now, but that's not saying much. XD.

Last edited:

Rohanator

Dayumn someone's really mad about Cilan lmao.
And no they don't force one to battle at a disadvantage or to use Unova starters. Ash was given the option of choosing any one of them to fight and nothing was said of him having to use a specific type of Pokemon to battle. Going against Cilan with Oshawott was Cabernet's own choice.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Okay, I honestly didn't remember that.

The 2 out of 3 thing was a special case for Ash, which shouldn't have happened but everybody knows he's a special case as the main character. Every other challenger to that Gym we know about followed the game pattern of facing a single one of them based on which starter they had, at least until Burgundy was forced to battle Chili in her rematch. That gives us evidence to say that the Gym operates the same way as in the games usually.

Striaton Gym is a Gym that specifically advertises itself as officially having three leaders. Chili and Cress aren't just Cilan's siblings or his parents that can just fill the individual spot that's open while he's away - they're the co-Gym Leaders already, and they use different types (unlike with Cerulean Gym, where all four sisters always used Water-types, or Pewter Gym, where Forrest uses Rock-types and when Brock's mother tried to make it a Water Gym, she caused a problem.)

Except they clearly told Ash that he can choose which of them he wants to battle evne before the 2 out of 3 thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.