• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is it ALWAYS about speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Another way to Imply a good case scenario would be a battle whoever get the status of paralysis first. Let us say its Jirachi's Serene body slam vs Ho-oh's 50% burning Sacred fire. Or Kyogre's Thunder vs Palkia's thunder.

Better yet, the best example would be a battle with 2 Serene Gracers. Who gets the secondary effect first?

Hardly matters. Nobody who isn't insane (which is actually half the PS ladder...) would keep a Haxrachi in against another Haxrachi. If you do, you're in for a hax-filled, extremely frustrating cluster****.

Pokemon with slow speeds do NOT suck they just need something to help them out like TAILWIND or Trick Room thats all/ In the competitive game slow pokemon like Amoonguss are amazing with trick room. It aint ALWAYS about speed.

garretslarrity

Unova Champion
I think that Speed is black or white, but only in a Single Battle. In a Single Battle, one Speed point can determine the game. In a Double Battle, there are two Pokemon you could try to outspeed. Therefore, I think in a Double Battle you could have some speed, while not going crazy, and be able to outspeed one of the opponent's Pokemon. Though in a Single Battle, it is strategic to be black or white. Either go crazy high to strike first, or crazy low to focus on the other stats.

MCBarrett

MCBarrett
Does anyone have some examples of EV spreads they use to speed creep and outspeed certain threats?
Personally, I run 88 speed EV on my Jellicent to outpace uninvested base 70s such as Politoed and Skarmory so I can Taunt them more effectively. Plus it gives me the edge on opposing Jellicent which is nice.

Honus

Does anyone have some examples of EV spreads they use to speed creep and outspeed certain threats?
Personally, I run 88 speed EV on my Jellicent to outpace uninvested base 70s such as Politoed and Skarmory so I can Taunt them more effectively. Plus it gives me the edge on opposing Jellicent which is nice.

24 spe Skarmory hits 182 and a lot of CB Tyranitar, Jellicent, and Politoed get around that area, I usually dont go past 183 with Skarmory and don't bother with Jellicent [but a lot of people do] although I usually bring CB TTars and Politoeds up to 185 maybe higher, I've also use EVs on CB Ttar to bring it o 191-192 to outspeed 0/4 Spe defensive Heatran. Running Spe on SD Acroscizor [probably enough for 0 Spe Tran as well] is also pretty important since luring in and owning Jellicent is one of its big selling points.

MCBarrett

MCBarrett
24 spe Skarmory hits 182 and a lot of CB Tyranitar, Jellicent, and Politoed get around that area, I usually dont go past 183 with Skarmory and don't bother with Jellicent [but a lot of people do] although I usually bring CB TTars and Politoeds up to 185 maybe higher, I've also use EVs on CB Ttar to bring it o 191-192 to outspeed 0/4 Spe defensive Heatran. Running Spe on SD Acroscizor [probably enough for 0 Spe Tran as well] is also pretty important since luring in and owning Jellicent is one of its big selling points.

Yeah I usually run max speed jolly on Acrozor to outrun as much as possible so I don't have to stop my sweep. Prevents defensive Heatran from speed creeping and can outrun some Rotom-W among other things. The Jellicent/ Ttar thing is very interesting as well since you basically always want to outspeed CB Ttar if you are using Jellicent (at least imo). You're just as likely to see 0 speed EV on Jellicent as you are to see 96.

I've seen a lot of other people run 88 Spe on Jellicent as well, although for an additional reason: 88 Spe is enough to outpace the standard CB Tyranitar, so even if you don't predict the Tyranitar switch-in, you can still outspeed and burn it. That said, I actually run 88 Spe on my CB Tyranitar. 84 Spe gives Tyranitar enough speed to beat those Jellicent that are EV'd to outspeed standard CB Tyranitar, and the additional 4 EVs give my Tyranitar enough speed to outspeed other CB Tyranitar that are EV'd to outspeed the Jellicent that are EV'd to outspeed standard CB Tyranitar. So yeah, big time speed creeping.

andzedan000

Causing Shenanigans
I think that speed isnt a #1 importance, there are many stall team with like 0 speed and maybe a slow minisweeper (like Gastrodon :3), also, for all those people who focus on speed, get ready to get trick roomed to death :p

Matoro

Toa of Ice
Yeah it just depends on what you're using. There are many ways to get around the speed war--Priority, trick room, gyro ball (ferrothorn) etc. I think jesusfreak94 summed it up pretty good a couple pages back.

Darkendra

Leader of Dark Shade
One perfect thing to use is Jirachi EV Trained for Speed and Attack with Iron Head and a Choice Scarf.
The opponent won't know what hit them until it has already happened more or less.

Sparkbeat

FLASH! AAAHHHAAA!
One perfect thing to use is Jirachi EV Trained for Speed and Attack with Iron Head and a Choice Scarf.
The opponent won't know what hit them until it has already happened more or less.

Unless you switch into a resisted attack and notice you lack Leftovers, or he has a faster scarfer, or he has a standard Jirachi counter, or he's a solid player so he assumes you have the most dangerous set to his team until proven otherwise, or he has Protect to scout your moveset, or you don't get as lucky as you'd like with flinches. It's a good set no denying that, but it's not like you're the first one to ever use it, so there isn't much surprise value unless you're running the lesser seen Healing Wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.