• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is it necessary?

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
homosexuals are just the same as heterosexuals, people say their nasty, but truly ur just creeped out cuz ur not gay,everyone is the same
I'm not creeped out, I politely state I'm hetero and go about my buisness. But I do get your point.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
If I am interpreting what you are asking correctly, you are asking why gay/lesbian people need to state that they are gay?

Because the way I see it, it's a way to publicly acknowledge themselves as a minority. The LGBT community, on the whole, is persecuted, usually on a societal level. I think gay and lesbian people announce their sexuality because they want to bridge the gap between them and the heterosexual community by making themselves known on a public level. I'm not necessarily sure if it will necessarily cease the heterosexist standards and policies that many countries have, at least any time soon, but it's still something that is promoting good will.

On another note, I really don't understand how someone saying that they are gay/lesbian is a bad thing. I mean, I understand that some people are uncomfortable with gay people, but I don't think there is really anything wrong with gay people stating their sexual preferences unless they force their sexuality on an unwilling person (which actually kinda happened to me my first semester in college). Even then, I really doubt that most gay people would do that unless they are incredibly promiscuous.

Grey Wind

Hmm that seems to me like a heavy handed statement to me. It is taking away ones right to choose. I would assume that most gays don't like my veiw on sexuallity (They find women "Icky" quote a friend of mine), wouldn't that make him/her a heterophobe? When a gay tries to convert me to homosexuality isn't the same as me trying to convert a lesbian {as if I would try;)}
I didn't mean it in that sense. It's ok to be either sexuality. My point was that if you find homosexuality wrong, you are generaly counted as a homophobe. Obviously they find women 'icky' they're gay. That generally means that you don't like women.

Why? If I came on to a lesbian and she Ewwed me would it still have the same stigma?
I meant that if you 'ewwed' as in 'eww a homosexual' rather than not being sexually attracted to the sex of the person you're 'ewwing' at.
My god that sounded weird

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
One thing I don't understand are people who use the Bible to talk down homosexuals, and yet they don't follow the "Holy Law" themselves.
I hate it when people do that, but I try to stay away from gay kids at skool.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Why do we have a "Who are you interested in?" question on Facebook? Why is it any different for a homosexual person to answer as opposed to a straight person?

ChedWick

also something random, you know Randy is a male and female name Malanu :p?

I didn't but that shouldn't be to surprising, names to some people don't hold any gender preference. I have an aunt named Billy after all.

Josiah

is your favorite
It isn't necessary, but neither is telling anyone that you're straight. I'm perfectly fine with people saying they're gay, as long as they don't let being gay define them as a person.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Why, is it that if someone respectfully disagrees with homosexuality they are labeled Homophobes?

Homophobia, racism, agism, sexism, all those things have become too... I can't think of the right word, but whilst they are all forms of discrimination, if someone expresses a basic opinion, it's all too easily misconstrued as hatred, when actually it is not. Someone can say "I disagree with homosexuality" and it isn't discrimination, whilst "I think ***s are sick and should burn" is. The same way "I think there should be an award ceremony for Music of White Origin" is not the same as "Hey, lets keep the ******s out of our music scene" (I've said the former and been accused of racism, simply because there is a MOBO award, but not a MOWO award). Sorry for the easily guessed bleeped out language.

I don't understand why it is necessary for someone to anounce in a public forum that they are gay. As I see it, it's like going on TV and anouncing, "I like S&M!" Should I care that you like the same sex? If so why? Shouldn't I like you because you are a nice person with similar intrests? What does ones sexuality have to do with competing on say, American Idol?

It isn't necessary, but in a world where homosexuality is often still considered a social stigma, people find it better to come out rather than someone out them. It's not so much of an issue for regular people, but for someone who's in the public eye, then I expect they want people to know up front who they are, so that they are treated from the start as they want to be.

Should you care, no, not really. But people do. If someone is found out to be gay, then there are news stories, it makes headlines. "So-and-so is gay! Nobody knew! Should the votes of American Idol be recounted!?" Gay men and women wouldn't need to come out, if other people didn't make such a fuss when they do, or when they find out.

Is getting creeped out by a gay come on any different than getting creeped out by an unatractive person (be it to heavy/ skinny et al).

As a gay man, I don't get put off if a woman hits on me, but how comfortable a person is with their sexuality is each to their own.

No I am more refering to people going on TV and saying for instance, "Hi I'm Paul and I am on the biggest loser to get in shape, so I can be health and be here for my partner Randy." or that so and so is a "lesbian superstar" Why define what kind of "superstar" one is other than a singer superstar? Is there a difference how a lesbian sings from a striaght woman? Why segrigate yourself? Don't you want to be known as a phenominal singer loved by all? I never cared that Freddy Mercury slept with men, it didn't change my opinion of the band Queen! So what if he never told everyone? I don't tell everyone I'm straight!! Why do I need to know who you bump naughties with? Should it really matter?

It changed a lot of peoples opinions, but admittedly, that was a different time. When they appeared in drag for a video, a number of people 'disowned' the band they previously loved, simply because they didn't want to be associated with a gay band. The same thing happened when Brokeback Mountain was released. It was a film that had a gay theme, but it wasn't a gay film. How many people said they wouldn't go and watch it because it was gay, and how many men had to point out how straight they were when they admitted they had seen it? Jake Shears from The Scissor Sisters summed it up well with "The fact that some of us are gay affects our music the same amount as it does that some of the members of Blondie are straight."

Encyclopika

The Queen
I see exactly what you're saying. It doesn't matter, and your sexuality shouldn't be one of the things you list in your "About Me". :/ I agree that it shouldn't matter and that people who are gay shouldn't feel the need to announce it. When you say things about yourself to another person or to a crowd, you're giving them a list of things about yourself you want people to remember. So why is being homosexual one of them?

I'm going to think that perhaps people find it necessary to say because it's "You're straight until proven otherwise" and if you're not straight, you probably want to make that clear, just like if you're not gay, you want to make that clear.

Last edited:

*IZ*

Today at school my "friend" said out loud "I LIKE MEN!" so the teacher can hear him and I was like so close to punching him in the face because first of all he's not gay and second of all I hate attention seekers and mostly when they joke about being gay.

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
I think it really depends on your generation, as well as the general attitude towards gay/lesbian affiliation you've been raised seeing. I am not gay, but have a few friends who are gay or bi. For the most part, this has been treated very casually, making me believe that younger generations, such as my own, are becoming more accepting and uncaring about sexual affiliation. Not to say there won't still be people prejudiced, but I think you know what I mean. I think the big deal about people realizing their sexuality is more prominent in older generations, raised under more common prejudice against homosexuality.

The reason I say it can be situational is because of one friend of mine. He's not a super-close friend to me, but I know I'm one of his better friends. He told myself and some other mutual friends that he was bisexual, which we treated as no big deal(we had all suspected this for a while). He, however, was very surprised to see we hadn't made a big deal out of it. Later on, I learned his parents raised him with religious teachings opposed to homosexuality and bisexuality, and so he thought he would see the same adversity from his peers.

EnvyTheirGreed

Just keep swimming~
Only people I label as homophobes are those who yell at/freak out on my gay friends for saying penis. Because apparently to them, a gay man cannot say the word penis without being sexually motivated? (Honestly they do it just to watch them throw their temper tantrums. LOL)

I don't think it's wrong.... or homophobic to be against same sex relationships. Some people are just overly religious, or have had bad experiences.

I think the term "Homophobia" is just a "hate term", people who actually hate homosexuals, are homophobes?

Honestly... I don't have any close lesbian friends, but I know a ton, and just as long as they don't attempt to date/"things" to me, I'm perfectly fine with being around them. I had a few bad experiences with a few lesbians, so I tend to get a little freaked out if they touch me or say certain things to me. But I do that to any female.

I don't think that makes me homophobic....

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
Homophobia is the fear of homosexuals. Political correctness has turned it into a blanket term to attack against all that are not for the cause of Gay rights. I don't think many people fear gays, that term rarely applies to anyone.

That is the literal translation, and I don't think it's about fear or a blanket term, I think it mainly applies to those who are uncomfortable around homosexuals.

EnvyTheirGreed

Just keep swimming~
Homophobia is the fear of homosexuals. Political correctness has turned it into a blanket term to attack against all that are not for the cause of Gay rights. I don't think many people fear gays, that term rarely applies to anyone.
That is the literal translation, and I don't think it's about fear or a blanket term, I think it mainly applies to those who are uncomfortable around homosexuals.

It makes sense to use it in it's literal sense, but just around my area it seems like people who use it, use it as a "hate term"... Also, those who use the terms "homophobia/homophobic" are given a lot of trouble for using the term.

Typhlosionvsworld

Y u mad bro?
It is quite natural to feel awkward around gays because if you aren't gey it makes things strange for you. If you have gay and lesbien friends, you are around homosexuals often so it doesn't make you feel awkward.

When I wnt to Pennsylvania last month, I saw a group of women with a man whom I assumed to be gay because he spoke like a woman, had his hands on his hips, and had a deep V-neck. The women obviously knew him, and accepted him as "one of the girls", I presume. Everyone else in the vacinity was staring at him, though.

Obviously, many people are creeped out by homosexuality.

bel9

The argument against "political correctness" makes me snicker. You keep on beating up that straw persom. I'll just keep sitting back here watching and waiting for you to stop with the huge logical fallacy.

Still, when offense becomes harm, when gender-based or racial epithets intimidate and silence and drive their Victims from the arena of academic freedom, then this discourse cannot be defended as free speech. Name-calling does not resemble or produce an open marketplace of ideas. Free play of ideas is not the same as a free-for-all of insults.

-Marilyn Edelstein

Last edited:

Typhlosionvsworld

Y u mad bro?

But why would anyone be against Gay rights? Unless you are a bigot then you cannot deny the rights of gays. They are here and account for 10% of America. You have to give them rights.

bel9

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
NOTE:

Is getting creeped out by a gay come on any different than getting creeped out by an unatractive person (be it to heavy/ skinny et al).

That line bothered me to be honest, what does an unattractive guy have to do with this? I would have said by anyone coming onto you, not pointing out one type of a person (And being unattractive and flirting with someone does not make you a creep, if it does then everyone on this planet is a creep).

Anyways onto the rest, it's pretty much the same if you were straight. Yelling out "I am straight!" if anyone does it, well nobody really cares that much either. The only reason to actually say you are straight or gay etc is if the same/opposite sex is hitting on you, or someone assumes you are one of the sexuality.

I guess another reason would be so anyone who's around knows what sexuality you are and you as the person can hope they would pick up on it.

But to the end why is anything necessary? Why do people need to know of your past or your sexuality or that you are married or what school you go to or what football team you root for or what game you like or your skin color or your gender or your looks etc, in the end it shouldn't really matter. It should be about the person themselves.

As for me if I were hit on a gay guy I wouldn't care much really, actually I would be really amused at the thought someone found me attractive enough or good enough to flirt with. And I have a gay cousin as well, many people say or aleast men in the majority get more weird or uncomfortable around people who are gay but for me well I am fine with it, we still talk about the same things, hell we still talk.. well about private stuff but we are still close then before he told me he was gay. (Although one little thing that is a bit annoying is how much he says women parts are icky, I don't go around saying men parts are icky, but oh well)

Last edited: