• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Luke treated like a main character by fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
He only showed up for 4 episodes and we have no proof he's even collecting gym badges, yet people here put him on the level of importance as Ash, Cilan, Iris, Burgundy, Georgia, Stephen, Bianca, and Trip(The Unova Nine, people like to call them).

Janovy

Banned
I have no idea. It irritates me just as well.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
For the life of me I can't seem to figure out why. He was an arc specific character and more than likely won't be showing up ever again.

He was never even shown to be a Gym Challenger yet people are penciling him in for a spot in the League.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
He only showed up for 4 episodes and we have no proof he's even collecting gym badges, yet people here put him on the level of importance as Ash, Cilan, Iris, Burgundy, Georgia, Stephen, Bianca, and Trip(The Unova Nine, people like to call them).

Why are you including Stephan in that list? Dunno, but he only appeared in 5 episodes.

I'm not saying you're wrong though. Just saying that he's just as worthless at this point as Luke, as a developmental case that is. He doesn't have a storyline, so he doesn't have a reason to appear outside of the necessity to have Ash battle some more.

I think most of these characters would only show up at Don Battle Tournaments and then the league. No point in developing Stephan as a character, since he didn't get a storyline, so best just to keep him around for tournaments and go from there. So yeah, most of these are only intended as elaborated fodder characters. Conway's and Nando's if you will. Which is why I'd assume they only appear to battle at those signified battling tournaments, or perhaps Battle Clubs for instances in which Ash's pokemon could evolve against something other then a gym leader.

- Recurring Rivals: Bianca, Trip - These get episodes outside of random battling.
- The Conway's of the region: Stephan, slight chance of Luke being one - Only get episodes in which they battle Ash (as in DBT or BC).
- The Assisting 'Rivals': Georgia, Burgundy - They help the writers to develop Iris and Cilan respectivily.

For the life of me I can't seem to figure out why. He was an arc specific character and more than likely won't be showing up ever again.

He was never even shown to be a Gym Challenger yet people are penciling him in for a spot in the League.

Not even 'a' spot, but 'the' spot.. Most people put him as the guy that beats Ash at the end. Which is ridiculous considering he hasn't even been confirmed to do gyms.. He could, but it is blatant speculism at its highest degree of lunacy..

They could use the Conway-argument, but Conway did nothing else but battle. Luke has something aside from it in moviemaking. So the only reason he participated in the DBT was to film some action scenes. Now then, the only reason he could take up gyms is to make more action scenes. That's the only single reason people can have to assume he could collect gym badges. In any case, he wasn't doing it before Ash and co met him.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.

5 Episodes.

He more than likely won't appear again you say? Yeah, he very likely could.

If he was just an arc specific character, why did he show up in the episode before the Club Battle, instead of just appearing in the Club Battle.

He hasn't appeared since then, well neither has Stephan, Burgundy or Georgia.

None of the rivals are Main Characters, but recurring characters, so Luke could still be a recurring character since he was built up then an "arc specific
character.

Why are you including Stephan in that list? Dunno, but he only appeared in 5 episodes.

I'm not saying you're wrong though. Just saying that he's just as worthless at this point as Luke, as a developmental case that is. He doesn't have a storyline, so he doesn't have a reason to appear outside of the necessity to have Ash battle some more.

So did Burgundy and Georgia.

Then that means Georgia and Burgundy are worthless too. Stephan and Luke aren't useless in my opinion, especially not Stephan.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
And you guys say you want the League to be interesting? Then how about letting Ash's actual rivals take the stage instead of some random characters?

Luke has nothing to do at the league, his appearance would be just a waste of screentime and money.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
And you guys say you want the League to be interesting? Then how about letting Ash's actual rivals take the stage instead of some random characters?

Luke has nothing to do at the league, his appearance would be just a waste of screentime and money.

Not really.

THey made Nando like Contests and the Gym Battles. Luke could do movies and gyms and it wouldn't be a waste.

Janovy

Banned
They made Conway like Contests and the league. Luke could do movies and gyms and it wouldn't be a waste.
Lol, fail.

Conway never liked Pokémon Contests, he never participated in one. He appeared on several occasions unlike Luke who appeared simply in five episodes in the row. Besides, Conway never showed any other interests besides battling and Pokémon while Luke showed interest in making movies.

So yeah, it would be a waste.

EDIT: Are you seriously comparing making movies with Pokémon contests?

for me its just because I like Luke and enjoy speculation about him reappearing. I know I get a little carried away at times and apologise if that annoys people

gliscor&yanmega

Main character? I don't believe people are treating him as a "main character" more as a recurring character or whatever Bianca, Trip, Burgundy, and Georgia are(They aren't main characters).

Luke has tons of potential to be back and do gyms or appear again for whatever other reason. The reason he went to the Don Battles in the first place was because Matthews(The old guy who owns the theater) told Luke that his movies could use more battle scenes or whatever, and he suggested going to Don Battles for experience.

Now with that in mind, is it that hard to think Luke may want even more battle experience? And what better way to get battle experience then to take on gyms and leagues? He seemed to enjoy himself as well, plus he can add his movie aspect to his battles by making a documentary of his journey or something. His team hold a lot of potential too, he's got a Zorua(Which was called rare in the anime as well), a Golett which seemed pretty tough, a Larvesta which evolves into Volcarona(And I have a hard time seeing them not portray it as an extremely powerful Pokemon) even though his Larvesta was pretty powerful itself, he's got a Leavanny too we haven't seen anything from it but it's still one more Pokemon(Fully evolved, and if he got it as a Sewaddle or Swadloon then he most be very kind to his Pokemon assuming Swadloon evolves by happinesses in the anime, regardless he seems like a nice guy).

Also, he battled Cilan and Iris but not Ash, frankly, to me that just comes off as odd. I see this as a future battle for the two in the league.

So, it's not like people(At less myself) just randomly think he'll appear again "just because", I believe he will appear again because he has reason to. And frankly, I rather see a character I'm familiar with then some random "Character of the day" during the league where Ash battles and wins/loses.

EDIT: And also, the fact the during the entire Don Battles Luke was interacting with other characters(Mainly Bianca), and was set off with all the rivals at the end, tells me that he's being placed in the same situation as them, he was heavily focused on and I can't see the writers just throwing that away.

Also, this probably could have just been talked about(And probably has already been talked about a lot) in the rival/recurring character thread http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=557189

Last edited:

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Personally, I found Luke to be really entertaining when it came to battles (especially his match with Cilan, for one), he was given lots of interaction with the other characters (in particular, Bianca) and I honestly wanted him to start travelling throughout Unova as Bianca's travelling partner instead of a rival, on his own journey to become a great director. Kinda like what Iris and Cilan are doing now, yeah?

Locormus

5 Episodes.

He more than likely won't appear again you say? Yeah, he very likely could.

If he was just an arc specific character, why did he show up in the episode before the Club Battle, instead of just appearing in the Club Battle.

He hasn't appeared since then, well neither has Stephan, Burgundy or Georgia.

None of the rivals are Main Characters, but recurring characters, so Luke could still be a recurring character since he was built up then an "arc specific
character.

So did Burgundy and Georgia.

Then that means Georgia and Burgundy are worthless too. Stephan and Luke aren't useless in my opinion, especially not Stephan.

The thing is, we agree, but we disagree on how these characters are to be used. I can see that Georgia, Burgundy, Luke, and Stephan are recurring characters, but not all necessarily as rivals.

I just don't think that should be lumped in together with Bianca and Trip, and even within those four that there should be general differences that should be outlined for how they function.

About Stephan being worthless, read the end of that sentence again: "as a developmental case that is. He doesn't have a storyline, so he doesn't have a reason to appear outside of the necessity to have Ash battle some more."

Amount of episodes has nothing to do with it, it's about how a character can activate growth in another character, which if you read the following argument, you'd have to comply with.

That's the big difference between Georgia, Burgundy and Stephan. Georgia and Burgundy exist to support the development of Iris and Cilan. They're foils of those two characters:

Iris: Dragon Master in training.
Georgia: Dragon Buster, characterwise forms a challenge to Iris her goal, that Iris will have to overcome through growth.

Cilan: Connoiseur A rank
Burgundy: Connoiseur C rank, characterwise forms a positioning point for Cilan to showcase how good he is.

Ash: A trainer wanting to become the best.
Stephan: A trainer wanting to become the best, characterwise is the same as Ash, and thus they are buddies and don't have a very interesting rivalry, think Ash&Ritchie.

See how Stephan doesn't necessarily form a jumping board for Ash as Georgia and Burgundy do? Stephan is just as much as a random trainer as Koharu is, even worse, he's more like Ash then she is, and that's why I don't think that he's that interesting at all. He has no impending storyline or anything, they had 5 episodes to give him one, but they didn't. Which is why I don't suspect him getting one any time soon.

The only story I can see him getting is wanting to battle Ash really badly (a faux suspended rivalry) in various tournaments, but never getting the chance to, only to finally get this chance in the Unova League, loose, and say: "Well, it was definitely worth the wait". That would end his storyline through structure, but it isn't one that is characterdriven, like Georgia's and Burgundy's..

So that's why he's not as interesting as Georgia:

- Georgia and Burgundy can make Iris'/Cilan's characters grow, while Stephan's character can't make Ash's character grow because he doesn't challenge Ash as a character, but only as another competitor.

Also, Stephan is a lot like Ursula in that respect if you'd follow my line of thought and the storyline I set up.

Stephan: He wants to rematch Ash, but doesn't get the chance until the very end. Character arc closes by a structural event, but he still loses.
Ursula: She wanted to prove that Dawn couldn't win by KO'ing pokemon, she got proven wrong in the end. Character arc closes by a structural event, but she still loses.

Ursula was a counterpoint to Dawn though, while Stephan isn't..

Dax

Legend
They have never treated him as a main character, ever. A recurring character, yes.

He was in a couple of consecutive episodes, had a great team and made it far in the Don Battle. I imagine that since he was given such importance in those episodes and having one of the most marketable pokemon in Black and White makes people think he'll come back someday.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
As quoted by one of my best friends..."Luke is adorable" how can anyone dislike Luke? He's a sweet boy and I hope he comes back again someday in the future. :3 Complete with a Zorua/Zoroark. I have my own headcanon for him anyways. XDD

Locormus

They have never treated him as a main character, ever. A recurring character, yes.

He was in a couple of consecutive episodes, had a great team and made it far in the Don Battle. I imagine that since he was given such importance in those episodes and having one of the most marketable pokemon in Black and White makes people think he'll come back someday.

Seriously, I went:

What?! Larvesta?! Oh wait, he probably means Golett.. But that isn't all that marketable either.. *confused*, Leavanny, no way.. Oh.. Wait.. Duh, Zorua... <.<'

Seriously, I forgot about that critter, probably because I never really bothered using my Zorua/Zoroark, eventhough I got a shiny one in a trade once. Probably hacked though, but don't bother to check it either..

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger

My point was that people talk about him as if he were as important as Trip, when we have nothing that indicates so.

As quoted by one of my best friends..."Luke is adorable" how can anyone dislike Luke? He's a sweet boy and I hope he comes back again someday in the future. :3 Complete with a Zorua/Zoroark. I have my own headcanon for him anyways. XDD

This topic isn't about disliking Luke, no one's said anything negative about Luke's character.

Grey Wind

Nobody has ever called Luke a main character.

And how can you say that Luke isn't as important as Kenyan? Kenyan has been in five episode, the same as Luke. Luke was given the same amount of focus as Kenyan, and got further in the tournament. And as Dax said, he has Zorua so why not appear again. Langley and Cabernet are clearly more important, since they've been mentioned as Cilan and Iris' only rivals, but Kenyan and Luke pretty much fall in the same boat.

Luke is the same as any other recurring character. Hell, we don't even know if Kenyan will appear again or not.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
Nobody has ever called Luke a main character.

And how can you say that Luke isn't as important as Kenyan? Kenyan has been in five episode, the same as Luke. Luke was given the same amount of focus as Kenyan, and got further in the tournament. And as Dax said, he has Zorua so why not appear again. Langley and Cabernet are clearly more important, since they've been mentioned as Cilan and Iris' only rivals, but Kenyan and Luke pretty much fall in the same boat.

Luke is the same as any other recurring character. Hell, we don't even know if Kenyan will appear again or not.

"Main Character" was a bad term to use, but the point I'm making still stands, why do people talk about Luke more than Stephan? I'm not referring to marketing in my argument either, just the people who think he will show up in the league and beat Ash with no proof.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
At this point we don't even know where Georgia and Burungly went either. For characters that were supposed to be main rivals, we sure barely see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.