• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Meowth not more valuable than Pikachu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJC

I'm probably bringing too much logic into this but it would seem to me that a talking Meowth would be extremely valuable. Millions could easily be made by using Meowth to tell people what their Pokemon were saying.

LizardonX

Banned
Because of plot.

Vernikova

Champion
Team Rocket have been shown to be good at a lot of things ranging from selling stuff to making noodles. Sure they can make a lot of money with Meowth, maybe, but they can make a lot of money in many ways. What you have to remember is that they're loyal members of Team Rocket. Team Rocket looks for strong (and valuable) and rare Pokemon to do illegal stuff. A talking Meowth, while rare, isn't worth much. You can see it when Giovanni knows of this talking Meowth's existence and still doesn't want it. They believe Pikachu is strong so they pursue it for Team Rocket.

In short, because of loyalty to Team Rocket and team Rocket's goals, they pursue Pikachu instead of making money in a legitimate way.

Last edited:

Luthor

He is pretty valuable as was shown in the whole hunter J thing. The problem is that battle wise he isn't that good generally and Giovanni doesn't really need to understand pokemon so his talking talents don't serve tr. He just finds him less useful so allows him with agents who when originally were sent out had a good record and he assumed they would make him more useful.

KJC

Well TR steals and sells rare and valuable Pokemon. I imagine that they could find someone willing to pay a lot of money for a talking Pokemon even if it isn't much use to them personally.

demnz

I hate breeding
Team Rocket have been shown to be good at a lot of things ranging from selling stuff to making noodles. Sure they can make a lot of money with Meowth, maybe, but they can make a lot of money in many ways. What you have to remember is that they're loyal members of Team Rocket. Team Rocket looks for strong and rare Pokemon to do illegal stuff. A talking Meowth, while rare, isn't worth much. You can see it when Giovanni knows of this talking Meowth's existence and still doesn't want it. They believe Pikachu is strong so they pursue it for Team Rocket.

In short, because of loyalty to Team Rocket and team Rocket's goals, they pursue Pikachu instead of making money in a legitimate way.

Not necessarily. They're desperate for any Pokemon that has some value, whether it is strength, or could be sold for a high price. There have been many Pokemon they targetted because they think they could sell for a lot in the black market.

To answer the OP: Team Rocket is dumb and blinded by Pikachu obsession. They have failed a thousand times in capturing it and will fail a thousand times more. Why? Because the creators want a recurring villain, so they will never think of any goal besides Pikachu until the series ends.

Vernikova

Champion
Not necessarily. They're desperate for any Pokemon that has some value, whether it is strength, or could be sold for a high price. There have been many Pokemon they targetted because they think they could sell for a lot in the black market.

Who is desperate? Is the organization desperate? If so, could you link me to something stating they were in such a position?

The Team Rocket trio is desperate but they view Meowth like family and wouldn't give give him up as we've been show on numerous occasions in the anime (notably those once in a while break up episodes). The organization itself probably isn't desperate either. At least not to the point of selling Meowth for the highest bid. Otherwise they would've done it.

demnz

I hate breeding
Who is desperate? Is the organization desperate? If so, could you link me to something stating they were in such a position?

The Team Rocket trio is desperate but they view Meowth like family and wouldn't give give him up as we've been show on numerous occasions in the anime (notably those once in a while break up episodes). The organization itself probably isn't desperate either. At least not to the point of selling Meowth for the highest bid. Otherwise they would've done it.

The organization isn't desperate, the trio is. Every episode featuring a new pokemon of the day Team Rocket will undoubtedly have some idea to steal it.

I was just arguing with you initially about how you said Team Rocket only wants strong Pokemon. The trio is after Pikachu because they think Pikachu has super strength or something, but they also go after Pokemon for money.

Regarding Meowth, of course they wouldn't give him up. But they could make profit from performances, or selling noodles like you said, or the other various career opportunities they've displayed. They just won't though because they're the series staple villains.

Vernikova

Champion
I was just arguing with you initially about how you said Team Rocket only wants strong Pokemon.

Oh, then yes, I see your point and will correct it. Totes agree with your post.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Meowth's not that valuable--Meowth are more common than Pikachu to begin with. Yes, one may never run into a talking Pokémon in their lifetime if at all (Ash and buddies don't count--and I'm surprised there were no news coverages about a walking Meowth when he lived in Hollywood), but he can't learn Pay Day ever. It's like if the goose could talk, but couldn't lay golden eggs.

...that doesn't make sense. Then again, a goose laying golden eggs doesn't make sense anyway, but who cares.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Meowsie couldn't lay Golden Eggs, either. That's why she was put out on the streets. /lulz

Pay Day in itself seems to be a very rare move. The only time we've seen it in the anime was in a Flashback.

demnz

I hate breeding
Oh, then yes, I see your point and will correct it. Totes agree with your post.

Lol sorry. In retrospect I was totally nitpicking. I don't know why I had the sudden urge to argue with you about that. My bad.

FireTypeLeader

All he can do is talk and scratch you... Sure a talking pokemon is rare but J&J see him more as a person than a pokemon...

Hunter J recognised he'd be incredibly good at making money due to the fact he could talk, but because he talks he seems to have a lot more free will than other pokemon...

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Meowsie couldn't lay Golden Eggs, either. That's why she was put out on the streets. /lulz

She may have pooped diamonds at one point, and her owner had her PokéBall studded with them to show off her diamond-pooping skills. /more lulz

Pay Day in itself seems to be a very rare move. The only time we've seen it in the anime was in a Flashback.

Now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing Pay Day being ever being used at all. It's only been brought up in passing especially when pertaining to Meowth now being unable to learn it. You think if Pikachu ever learned to talk, would he have never learned various moves himself? I honestly can't seem to figure out the logic as to how it is Meowth can't learn Pay Day just because he learned to walk and talk.

Graham Aker

I'm probably bringing too much logic into this but it would seem to me that a talking Meowth would be extremely valuable. Millions could easily be made by using Meowth to tell people what their Pokemon were saying.

I don't think they really care, Meowth is just a Meowth. He's not exactly extremely competent either.

Sethern

[Insert Cool Title]
I think one reason is orca use in many episodes meowth claims that it is a free and equal member of team rocket ( well o the trio) and in some episodes it shows Jessie and James softer sides towards their companion, so I don't think that they would do that to him. Plus they are probably blinded with some sort of rage for failing to capture pikachu hundreds of times. So they allude themselves that since they try for one and can never catch it doesn't mean they are bad villains its just tha that one Pokemon is superpowerfull.

I would assume A talking Pokémon that can translate what other pokemon can say/feel/do is much more valuble. Sadly, Team Rocket ( Trio) are idiots who don't see this...

Rovian

Kodoku no Koori
Shouldn't walking on two legs add to that value? A normal Meowth walks on all-fours.

MattySadler

I know Meowth is a talking Pokemon, and there is absolutely no denying that, but my only explanation for it is that in the anime I've always felt he is viewed more like a human than a Pokemon. He is the third in the Jessie, James and Meowth trio. As a talking Pokemon though, able to talk to humans and Pokemon with great ease, he SHOULD be invaluable and constantly sought after

Status
Not open for further replies.