• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Pokemon G/S/C so Japanese?!

Yeah, Jhoto had a very Japanese feel, thanks to the fact we fought trainers like the Kimoko girls. Kanto never really seemed American to me though.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Maybe because it originated in Japan?

And if your saying that it has a more Japanese feel, then I get it. The Kimoko Girls, the design of the houses in Ecruteak, very Japanese...ish. I think that Nintendo was trying to give out a message that the U.S. didn't make Pokémon, or something of the like, since R/B/Y looked nothing like a game from Japanese origin.

Last edited:

pikakid

jirachi killer
I know what you mean but i think thats the way the cookie crumbles and it was just lucky or unlucky that it turned out like that.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
it's from japan so it's logic that they have a bit japanese style butr besides that it might be just you because i noticed nthing to be honest, i just played the game.

mew801

err maybe because its made in japan???????????? some people are kinda weird

Nyx

TornWorld Tour Guide
I actually like the feel of the game its relaxing.

This one was not like the rest and succeded the originals with its time app. and poke environment.

Hell yeah. G/S/C were My favorite Gameboy Games ..

theforgottensoldier

divide and conquer!
R/S/E do seem similar to South America due to the tropical type of look to them and similarity in climate. Plus some of the pokemon from that gen resemble animals mainly found there.

Chilled2m7

WRX STi
The pokemon games are based on Japan. Duh.

Alright that's starting to get annoying. Half this damn thread is of people saying "Because itz made in JAPAN LOLZ"

Ok we get it; but we're referring to the different vibes each game put out. Personally, I feel as though Johto did have a much more "old time" feel to it. Thats probably why most japanese references could not be taken out as they usually are with the games. You have to remember, most Pokemon games that come to the west are picked apart by the translators and turned into something a lot more familiar for a Western audience. The translation between Japanese and English (or whatever other language its translated into) is not direct or literal. This "westernification" however, became difficult to do in GSC because a kimono girl or sage is just so obviously Japanese.

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
Maybe Johto is more traditional then other regions,their Pokemon do seem oddly more animal-like then the other regions..
I've never played the 2nd generation games(>>..<<),and I'm not a fan of the Johto anime saga(or Islands saga)but I do know a bit about them,and they seem oddly traditional.

There are several aspects that form the 'Japanese' feel for G/S/C. Most buildings all have Japanese aspects (Azalea and Ekruteak for example). There are inclusions of Japanese culture (Kimono Girls). The towers dotted around the land (Burnt, Sprout)are all based on a traditional Japanese tower made hundreds of years ago.

I personally think that the colouring system also had a pert to play, but I'm not really sure how... If anything, this generation has the most Japanese Pokemon aswell, look at Chinchou!

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
Many of the buildings were modeled after japanese temples.

mew801

maybe they made it so that the games keep being interesting. if they are the same sort of feel every time, then they would probably get boring. i think also what you said about kanto being very american, i think since it was the first real "Pokemon Game" that they had to make it so it would earn alot of money, hence making it american so it would get profit.? after kanto went so well, then they could make the next game quite japanese because people already knew how good the first one was. im not sure if this is the case but its my theory on the topic anyway.

kirby8933083

mai husbando
There are several aspects that form the 'Japanese' feel for G/S/C. Most buildings all have Japanese aspects (Azalea and Ekruteak for example). There are inclusions of Japanese culture (Kimono Girls). The towers dotted around the land (Burnt, Sprout)are all based on a traditional Japanese tower made hundreds of years ago.

Uncanny. Those are exactly the first things I thought of. Mostly the dancing Kimono girls, the buildings and even the music in some ways.

Simply amazing how many post here say, "Made in japan u lozer." What? No info?

pkmn_GSC

Have a nice day.
Why I think it feels "Japaneezy" is mainly because the entire theme is based on old buildings, EX. The Tin And Sprout towers (I forgot the other ones names since I never played in like ever) as well as the Shoji and Tatami Pattern in many buildings.

The music may not hurt the atmosphere... and btw how I got "japaneezy" is from a certain song I won't name :)

Sorry if someone already said this.

i don't really notice anything like that
i just enjoy the game, and not worry about anything else

I don't think there's a particular reason, but I really liked the fact Johto looked "japaneezy" (I think I know the song pkmn_GSC is referring to XD), because Japan fascinates me and it was somewhat like traveling in it. :)

Honestly the game isn't overwhelmingly seeped in Japanese reference and design, so it doesn't really jump out at you, it doesn't change the game at all.