• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is Pokemon so popular?

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
It's fun for everyone, you can competive battling, breed in IVs, EV train, collect events, collect shinies, RNG, or just walk through the map.

Pokemon is nowhere near popular where i live. But i do live near the hood of New York.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
NACHOE!, I think you hit the nail on the head. Great explanation.

Well, if it wasn't for the cute monsters one could train to grow, it had to be the gameplay, the incorporating of strategies, trading with numerous people, the challenge to catch them all, the storyline, anything really. RPGs are popular in Japan, but they rarely do well in America (if not overseas in general). Pokémon made a name here because the anime got popular. If I'm not mistaken, the vast majority of people who play the games did it because of the anime, and everyone knew what Pokémon was. Why not hop on the bandwagon?

What I enjoy about Pokémon is how wide-spread they are. There's something for everyone about the franchise. For me, it's the games and the story in the games (mainly Mystery Dungeon, probably my favorite game of all the Pokémon games) or sometimes the anime (though the movies have better stories than the series itself). Even though it's marketed at children, which shows in its cuteness, there are rather mature things like complex morals the games have been having lately, or EV training. There's always something that keeps us coming back to it.

Pokémon's popularity may wane over time, but they'll always come up with new ideas to captivate people again, and the audience will grow even more. You know, Mario's rivalry with Sonic is rather inaccurate, don't you think? If anything, Mario should find a rivalry with Pikachu, since the two are way up there in the best-selling franchise games of all-time. Especially since both had a hand in helping video games and Nintendo stay in business. Mario was released when the NES was starting to falter, and Pokémon saved the GameBoy and Game Freak.

But I digress. Pokémon is going to live on for a long time, I can't see it going anyway anytime soon.

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
Massive Age range.

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
i dont wanna be too picky but... there wasnt 150/151 to choose from really. " i want squirtle, blastloise, weedle, beedrill, pidgey and pidgotto!" you kinda only use on of each family/evo line

the new show is popular but i think tons of people love teh nostagia feeling that is how seribii was formed and tons of people love the games ive never quit except when i lost my main games

PsiOmega

An old soul
Most RPGs go like this: You level up as much as you can, do all the sidequests, beat the game, and never play it again. With Pokemon, there are thousands of strategies, ways to customize your team, and tactics for raising Pokemon. You could play every day for 6 years straight (Hello) and it could never get old.

Espectra

The Ghost Type Guru!
It's very very addicting, and there are several mediums in which to express said addiction.

From the TCG, games, Anime, Manga, console games, other side games and others.

It's no surprise that the franchise has become so huge,

Plus the game is just a classic RPG style that no one has effectively tried to copy to this day!

Scaldaver

Limitless
First game I got was Ruby. Boxart blew me away. As did the homely feel at the beggining, the music and... what are those things called again...oh yeah, The POKEMON!

flameswy

Lord of Light
as far as i know, it was one of the first JRPG's to feature entire team customization, a feature very popular in the west.

maybe that helped?

Kelz

More saving. More doing.™
Before I begin, let me start off by saying something; Pokemon definitely is not as popular as it used to be. It's peak was during the Generation I-II era, where it was extremely popular. The Pokemon hype seemed to have been all over the place during Generation III, when almost everyone either loved or hated R/B. Emerald was quite popular, however. Around Generation IV, popularity seemed to have decreased; not necessarily caused by anything "wrong" with D/P. Same goes for Generation V.

Anyways, I believe Pokemon's success is the result of many factors, the first of which being the idea of collecting creatures that you can carry around with you. Every kid will or has collected something, whether it be coins, stamps or bottle caps, *cough*reference*cough* at one point in their life. Also, as said previously, team customization played a role. I think what allows many fans to stay with Pokemon through adolescence and sometimes even through adulthood would be the in-depth possibilities, such as competitive battling. I really just depends on your perspective, as everyone loves something different about Pokemon. -K

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Well, I think among other reasons (such as game mechanics being easy yet offering a chanllenge to experienced gamers) there's also how it can appeal to pretty much any kind of demography (kids, teens, men, women....) through offering something that catch the interested of everyone: some can go because they find the creatures to be cute or cool; other because the game mechanics and so on.

Another strong point in the franchise is how their owner were smart enough with their commercial strategies: keep "recreating" the franchise with each generation in a sense that it keeps fresh for modern audience while keeping some of the original flavour that appeals older fans.

Nyter

Island Challenger
What I like about it the most is how we can like be a trainer when in IRL we aren't.... Isn't that KEWL!!!!