• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Why Is That Type Super Effective?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightfall_

Gamer Extrodinare

Okay, yeah. We all had these moments, I'm sure.

Just a quick question, why is that type super effective? Talk about it here.

Why its super effective chart:

Water -> Fire: Water puts out fire.
Water -> Rock: Water erodes rock.
Fire -> Grass: Burns it up. Simple.
Grass -> Water: Plants absorb water for photosynthesis.
Rock -> Flying: Ever heard the saying, "I killed two birds with one stone"?
Ground < Steel: Soil could oxidize metal.
Fire -> Steel: Burns it up......I guess.
Ice -> Dragon: Dragons are lizards, and are therefore cold-blooded. They cannot produce heat by themselves, and therefore die when subjected to cold.
Dragon ->Dragon: ^
Ghost -> Ghost: ^ ^
Psychic -> Fighting: Mind over matter.
Flying -> Fighting: Takes it up and drops it into the ground? Beats me.
Fire -> Ice: I do NOT need to explain this one.

Lemme quote this one thing.

Xenevix said:
One I don't get though is Dark-> Ghost because if I was a Pokemon administrator I never would've allowed the creation of the Dark type in the first place. It's basically a glorified Normal type weak to bug. Which is another good one! Bug -> Dark or Bug -> Psychic. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? And why is Fighting not good against Bug? If you stomped on a bug it's not going to survive. In my opinion Bug is the weirdest type effective-wise.

Tell me what you think!

Last edited:

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Well for one, your < arrows are wrong, they should pretty much all be reversed. As to the actual content, fire melts steel, so that makes sense. The dragon-dragon and ghost-ghost thing is really just to make both types less broken. They were both rare and very powerful in 1st gen (and still are to a degree) and that was a way to make them less almighty. Same goes for Ice>Dragon, I guess.

Xenevix

Some Guy
It all started in the 1st Gen so I will refer to 1st gen Pokemon.

Well, with Flying -> Fighting. Maybe Pidgeot takes a massive dump on Machamp's head while flying. Machamp then kills himself.

Ice -> Dragon. In the 1st Gen SOMETHING needed to be super effective against Lance's dragons. Dragon types were not widely available and Articuno and Lapras were, so why not make Ice also good against Dragon. Also a lot of pokemon knew Blizzard.

Psychic -> Fighting. I always thought that opposittes should be super effective. Fire -> Grass, Water -> Fire, y'know? Since Fighting types are almost purely Physical and Psychic types are almost purely special it makes sense to me why Psychic moves are awesome on fighting types.

Rock -> Flying. Two bird with one stone? If you threw a rock at a bird it's gonna mess that bird up if you hit it.

Bug -> Grass. Bugs go nom-nom on leaves.

Fire -> Ice. C'mon..... That's an easy one.

One I don't get though is Dark-> Ghost because if I was a Pokemon administrator I never would've allowed the creation of the Dark type in the first place. It's basically a glorified Normal type weak to bug. Which is another good one! Bug -> Dark or Bug -> Psychic. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? And why is Fighting not good against Bug? If you f***ing stomped on a bug it's not going to survive. In my opinion Bug is the weirdest type effective-wise.

Drat

Don't Bother None
Nightfall715 said:
They were both rare and very powerful in 1st gen

Ghost wasn't powerful in the first gen. You had one choice, and it was half poison which made it easy fodder for pretty much any psychic type in the game. Ghosts actually got an extra advantage in second gen where they became super effective against the ultimately broken psychic type. Jus' sayin.

Nightfall_

Gamer Extrodinare
@Xen

Yes, fire -> ice you do not need to explain.

The thing I REALLY don't get it Ghost -> Ghost and dragon -> dragon. What? Its just plain old weird. And I am, like, SO glad there is no light type. We do not need another typing like the dark type.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Water < Fire: Water puts out fire.
Water < Rock: Because.....It gets it wet? What? Water erodes rock. That is a well-known fact.
Fire < Grass: Burns it up. Simple.
Grass < Water: Uh.......water makes grass grow so the grass grows on the water, doing what exactly? Plants absorb water for photosynthesis.
Rock < Flying: Rocks get on the wings, pulling it down to the floor? What.....? Birds have hollow bones, so their bones get broken more easily by rocks. Also, getting hit by a rock probably sends it to the ground.
Ground < Steel: Beats me. Soil could oxidize metal.
Fire < Steel: Burns it up......I guess. Fire melts steel.
Ice < Dragon: I will probably never know this one. Dragons are lizards, and are therefore cold-blooded. They cannot produce heat by themselves, and therefore die when subjected to cold.
Dragon < Dragon: ^
Ghost < Ghost: ^ ^
Psychic < Fighting: Uses a Psychic power to make there fists hurt themseves? Mind over matter. A common concept, portrayed in the pokemon world.
Flying < Fighting: Takes it up and drops it into the ground? Beats me. Got me there.

Comments in bold.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Dragon types were not widely available and Articuno and Lapras were

Wait, what?

Lapras was a gift Pokemon at Lv. 25 when your team was in its late thirties/early forties. Articuno was a legendary Pokemon that required going through a tedious - and entirely optional - cavern, at which it awaited at the end with a catch rate of 3, at Lv. 50, with no second chances if you screwed up. And the best Ball in the game was a Dusk Ball.

How does that make them "widely available?"

Gelatino95

Not a tool
One I don't get though is Dark-> Ghost because if I was a Pokemon administrator I never would've allowed the creation of the Dark type in the first place. It's basically a glorified Normal type weak to bug.

Wait, what? Normal is like the catch-all type with wide neutral coverage. Dark has plenty of strengths and weaknesses. Both the Steel and Dark types were introduced in gen II to counter the broken Psychic type, and that's totally reasonable.

Aurath8

Flying < Fighting: Takes it up and drops it into the ground?
Fighting types are stuck on the Ground and until 4th gen, could only use physical moves so being able to stay out of range of they're attacks gives flying types a tactical advantage.
Bug > Dark: Dark types use mind tricks to beat they're opponents. Bugs are so single-minded they can get through that.
Bug > Psychic: Bugs are a common phobia, as are Ghosts.
Fighting x Bug: If you punched a bug as big as Scyther or Venomoth, it wouldn't make a scratch because of it's strong exoskeleton, we can only squish bugs because they're 100 times smaller than us, 10,000 times weaker and 700,000 times lighter. In fact, once I swatted a moth in mid-flight yet it flew away 10 mins later.

Last edited:

Nightfall_

Gamer Extrodinare
Xen:

One I don't get though is Dark-> Ghost because if I was a Pokemon administrator I never would've allowed the creation of the Dark type in the first place. It's basically a glorified Normal type weak to bug. Which is another good one! Bug -> Dark or Bug -> Psychic. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? And why is Fighting not good against Bug? If you stomped on a bug it's not going to survive. In my opinion Bug is the weirdest type effective-wise.

Don't mind if I put this in my sig... Do you?

MasterLucario

No life till leather
Ice on Dragons. The dragon freezes and dies like in the ice age?

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
Yep, bugs screw people up. Thats great.

And ground>>steel explanation:
Take an iron building. A high one. If an earthqake comes, it falls. Thats how I think.

Flying should be SE against fire, IMO. Blowing a gust making the fire end.

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
I never really understood why Ice is not effective against Water, considering it freezes it. Also, Fighting types could just punch those birdies? So I don't really understand Flying > Fighting either. Dx

Nightfall_

Gamer Extrodinare
I never really understood why Ice is not effective against Water, considering it freezes it.

I forgot about this. XD

Yes, But I can't think up of why ice is super effective against grass, and vice versa. Ice freezes grass and grass grows on ice? Huh?

Last edited:
I never really understood why Ice is not effective against Water, considering it freezes it Ice is frozen water. Where were you in 3rd grade?. Also, Fighting types could just punch those birdies? Ever tried punching a bird? It flies away. Flyers have the advantage due to manuveverability. So I don't really understand Flying > Fighting either. Dx

Comments in da bold.
Anyway,

Psychic: Weak to three common fears: Bugs, ghosts, and the dark
Water: Grass uses water for photosynthesis, and water conducts electricity.
Dragon: The power of a dragon is so immense that only another dragon could slay them. They are also cold-blooded.
Fighting: Mind over matter. Also, flying Pokemon have the advantage of the air.
Ghost: Only other ghosts and masters of darkness can tame them.
Normal: Ordinary Joe versus Chuck Norris. Who do you think wins?

There. Clarified some of the 'odder' weaknesses. The only one I think lacks sense is Psychic>Poison.

pokemonmaster3.0

Stop laughing...
For Psychic>Poison, I read once in a similar thread that they could psychically separate the poison from their blood, though it was a total guess and I'd say that they just needed another thing strong against Poison.

I forgot about this. XD

Yes, But I can't think up of why ice is super effective against grass, and vice versa. Ice freezes grass and grass grows on ice? Huh?

Grass isn't super effective against Ice.

For Ice>Dragon/Ice>Flying, they can't fly with frozen wings. For Rock>Flying, whipping rocks could injure a bird so they can't fly?

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
And one of the few I can come up whith is psy-poison :D.

Psychic powers destroys the toxic effect.

Xenevix

Some Guy
Yep, bugs screw people up. Thats great.

And ground>>steel explanation:
Take an iron building. A high one. If an earthqake comes, it falls. Thats how I think.

Flying should be SE against fire, IMO. Blowing a gust making the fire end.

I disagree lets say we're in a field. It's on fire. Wind is only going to spread it. Also, think of starting a fire with flint and a stone, like in Survivor. When they get a spark on the grass why do they blow on it? It helps start it. Wind will blow out candles, matces, etc. because it has nowhere to go.

And maybe I used the wrong term in my first post. Not so much as "widely available" as much as "not too hard to access?" I always found Articuno really easy, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.