• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is this game so rigged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GengarsRevenge

I remember I was playing my friends game at his house. We were taking turns on the Prime Cup. On my turn I had to face a gambler. All he used was horn drill (kills you instantly), but it worked every time. I didn't even get a chance to attack.

I did eventually beat the whole game, including acquiring Surfing Pikachu and Hyper Mode. I just started Pokemon Stadium 2; we'll see how that goes.

SergeiDragunov

Crits Everywhere
I always thought that Paralyzing affected accuracy of OHKO moves in Gen 1, since Hax Gambler always Paralyzed you before he raped you with his one-hit knockouts. My only counter was to have a Ghost type and a Flying time against him (Immune to Horn Drill and Fissure, respectively.)

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
I always thought that Paralyzing affected accuracy of OHKO moves in Gen 1, since Hax Gambler always Paralyzed you before he raped you with his one-hit knockouts. My only counter was to have a Ghost type and a Flying time against him (Immune to Horn Drill and Fissure, respectively.)

I remember I was playing my friends game at his house. We were taking turns on the Prime Cup. On my turn I had to face a gambler. All he used was horn drill (kills you instantly), but it worked every time. I didn't even get a chance to attack.

I did eventually beat the whole game, including acquiring Surfing Pikachu and Hyper Mode. I just started Pokemon Stadium 2; we'll see how that goes.

That is actually how you had to do back in first gen; if you were slower, OHKO moves didn't hit. Period. Hence that gambler's need for paralysis.

I think Stadium 2 is, on the whole, easier. A good RBY team will work wonders. It's Poke Cup is still pretty nasty, and I have yet to beat Challenge Cup Ultra Ball, I adimit, but the gyms and Prime Cup were not hugely frustrating.

Last edited:

GengarsRevenge

Yeah, I got pretty far into Stadium 2's R-1 in only a few days. All I have left is Pokecup Masterball, which I have yet to try.

Even with the mini-games, I unlocked Very Hard in only one try. Hyper Mode in PS1 took me hours of frustration. At least in PS2 you don't need consecutive wins, though.

EDIT: OH YEAH I remembered that in Stadium 1 I used Mewtwo in most of Gym Leader Castle, so I decided to retry it, starting with Brock. I beat the 3 trainers easily, but Brock's Vulpix kept using firespin on my SLOWBRO and managed to kill it by doing like 3 damage per turn. Then his Onyx kept using bind on my IVYSAUR which did like 5 damage per turn. To the kids who are too young to remember: in Gen 1, bind and firespin didn't even let the victim ATTACK until they were released. So I was sitting there waiting to attack, but they kept using those moves over and over, and I lost. Then I didn't feel bad that I'd used Mewtwo before.

Last edited:

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
...Am I the only one who defeated the minigames easily?

Sprintking

I'm a little disappointed in Serebii on this one. The game is most certainly not rigged, you are just all acting like a bunch of whiny little kids. I've beaten both Stadiums completely, and yeah it was really hard, but that's what games are supposed to be: challenging. You're also forgetting how much more the first gen was based on luck than subsequent gens. Hax are much more common, and going back and playing them does feel weird. The minigames are far from impossible either. Clefairy says is all about memory, don't complain that it's rigged when you can't remember multiple buttons to press. A number of other games (Drowzee, Magikarp, Sandshrew, Metapod, Rattata) are all about timing and can be figured out after a play or two. In the stadium there's a fair amount of luck involved no doubt, but it's far from rigged or unfair. Stop being so childish.

Beechlgz

Now why would the rig the game, as yourself that? Gambling games where there is real consequences involved, there would be a reason to rig those (not a good reason AT ALL, I utterly abhor cheating and gambling, but that's just an example). But a kid's game? Why would they rig it? It doesn't make any sense.

Plus, if it was rigged how would you even get as far as round 2? Before you say nobody has made it that far, that's a blatant LIE. My 7-year-old brother did it. A few tips and advice from me occasionally, but most of the time he played it while I was out the house.

We tend to remember the things that annoy us more, or surprise us more than the things that don't. It's likely that your luck is better than you think, you just notice more the occasions when it doesn't go your way.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
...Am I the only one who defeated the minigames easily?

I defeated most of the mini-games in Pokemon Stadium quite easily, but there were some that were always a bit of a challenge for me. I recall having to get help on some of the mini-games back when I was an avid Pokemon Stadium player. I have an easier time now that I understand how to be successful in all of the mini-games, but sometimes people get upset when they don't defeat a certain game, as easily as they'd want.

Baton Passer

Bzzzzzzzzzzt!
The game isnt rigged, we all know that, its an exxageration. Come on, it is hard, you said it yourself, some people let out their frustration (and feelings of inferiority to a game marketed to 7 year olds) by calling it rigged. No need to call names, we're al friends here.

Of and to the topic, i've recently come to the same sudden realization as Raditz from Dragon ball Z. Numbers and stats will not ensure victory. Mewtwo is incred, no, impossibly tough. But it is no match for the almighty CH...

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
You guys thought that the Challenge Cup was hard in Pokemon Stadium 2? That was the easiest one for me to finish. I have trouble with that fricking Little Cup!
Bratty Level 5s...who needs em anyway?

I beat round 2 and Mewtwo. I think I used Zapdos / Tentacruel / Arcanine / Rhydon / Chansey / Alakazam for the lvl 50 and lvl 100 cups. Random Dragon Ragers for the lvl 15-20 cup and a a bunch of things with Fire Blast / Thunderbolt in the un-evolved cup.

I can't really remember how much trouble I had since I was like, 12 at the time but I do remember having a lot of trouble getting through that ******* with the Mew.

teekesselchen

I've never really played stadium. It was always my brother who sat in front of the n64 and apparently won everything.
The only thing I remember him not being able to do was winning a Pikachu with surf.
I finally got that one with a little help of my pokewalker but I still wonder what the mini game on yellow would have been like :(

11DBHK

Banned
I beat round 2 and Mewtwo. I think I used Zapdos / Tentacruel / Arcanine / Rhydon / Chansey / Alakazam for the lvl 50 and lvl 100 cups. Random Dragon Ragers for the lvl 15-20 cup and a a bunch of things with Fire Blast / Thunderbolt in the un-evolved cup.

I can't really remember how much trouble I had since I was like, 12 at the time but I do remember having a lot of trouble getting through that ******* with the Mew.

AAAAGH YES! i HATED that kid! >_< primecup masterball Finals
that's the kid i mentioned before that i coulnd't hit the little ******
and i lost aagh, stupid little brat and legendary pokemon rrrr aagh *rage*

misingnoglic

I'm a little disappointed in Serebii on this one. The game is most certainly not rigged, you are just all acting like a bunch of whiny little kids. I've beaten both Stadiums completely, and yeah it was really hard, but that's what games are supposed to be: challenging. You're also forgetting how much more the first gen was based on luck than subsequent gens. Hax are much more common, and going back and playing them does feel weird. The minigames are far from impossible either. Clefairy says is all about memory, don't complain that it's rigged when you can't remember multiple buttons to press. A number of other games (Drowzee, Magikarp, Sandshrew, Metapod, Rattata) are all about timing and can be figured out after a play or two. In the stadium there's a fair amount of luck involved no doubt, but it's far from rigged or unfair. Stop being so childish.

I said in the OP, the games that we could beat were Clefary, Magikarp, sanshrew, ratatta, and Drowse + Ekans 50/50 - It was the Pikachu, Metapod, and lickingtung ones that were annoying as all hell

And you can't deny the actual battling is rigged. If there's luck it's all on the other side.

And it's not just first gen mechanics. Battling in yellow red and blue is fine. It's just THIS GAME *headsmash*

Myowu

It's said "Meow-woo"
I'm gonna ride the fence on this topic. I think I was around 10-12 for the Stadium games. I remember beating R1 was fun. R2 was hard for me, and I decided it wasn't worth my frustration finishing it. (Part of it WAS that brat with the Mew in Prime cup >.<) Other than the feeling of bad luck, I don't think it was rigged, it's just that games were indeed harder back in that generation compared to today's games.

Sprintking

I said in the OP, the games that we could beat were Clefary, Magikarp, sanshrew, ratatta, and Drowse + Ekans 50/50 - It was the Pikachu, Metapod, and lickingtung ones that were annoying as all hell

And you can't deny the actual battling is rigged. If there's luck it's all on the other side.

And it's not just first gen mechanics. Battling in yellow red and blue is fine. It's just THIS GAME *headsmash*

Have you ever considered that maybe it's your own ability and not the game? Re-reading your original rant, nothing about your minigame tale leads me to believe the game is rigged. You're playing on hard mode, shouldn't you expect it to be hard? Having to cheat on Clefairy Says means the four of you cannot together remember a 5-6 button combination. Saying the computer is cheating because it pushes you out of the way in Lickitung's game? Last time I checked that was called strategy. With the Metapod and Pikachu games, it's all about timing. With a little practice the rhythm should come to you after a few games. Or not, apparently, in your case.

I mean really, a rigged game? That makes perfect sense. It has been evidenced countless times, including in this thread, that people are capable of beating it. Don't whine about it because you can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.