• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why is this game so rigged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

misingnoglic

I want to start this by taking you to a trip to the past. I'm not sure how old most of you are, but I'll assume you were around 7 when you first got pokemon stadium. I'm sure anyone who got this game originally had the gameboy games, so you were probably pissing your pants at the 3d action that is stadium. But have any of you ever went through the entire game, beating the Master ball of the poke cup and prime cup, beating the Elite 4, beating mewtwo, and doing the same for r2 mode during the 2nd grade? I'm pretty sure none of you did, because the game is rigged.

Whenever you try to beat the other pokemon, it seems that all the gods are on their side. If you do an attack, you just happen to miss. If you try to hypnotize them, the attack fails. If you're confused, then you hit yourself. But the opponent... NOOOOOO. He hits horn drills and fissures with almost a 50/50 accuracy, all of the status inflicting moves seem to hit, and they never take effect on him.

Even when this rigged-ness doesn't happen, the opponent spams multi-turn moves, so if you're pokemon is slower than the opponent, then you CAN'T HIT. They enjoy using attacks such as Double Team repeatedly, and since all of your attacks miss anyway, you can't take them out until it's too late...

One last story I would like to share. A week ago, for my 15th birthday, I took 3 of my friends to my house to play video games. Since we got bored of brawl, one of my friends saw my n64 with pokemon stadium, and asked if we could play some of the minigames. Seeing as how it was called Kids Club, I thought it would be a relaxing way to spend our time. I heard about a mode called "Hyper Mode," and all you had to do was beat 5 games in a row on hard mode. Seeing as how the game was meant for 7 year olds, I thought it would be fun.

WRONG! It took us 6 hours in total for 4 15 year olds to beat these games, and it's not because we all suck at video games. The AI was horrible (or should I say very good, since it managed to beat us so hard). The only games we could win were Dig Dig (the game with ;027; where you dug for water), Ratatta Run, Clefairy says (And we had to cheat on that one), and Magicarp splash. My friend could also beat the hypno + ekans games half the time, but in the other games, there was no doubt the computer was rigged. In the lickingtung game, the CPU would gather pure combos, and would purposely push you out of the way, so you eat all the bad food. In the Metapod game, the CPUs used harden almost beatufully on time, not letting the harden last a millisecond longer than it should. With the pikachu game, thundering dynamo, it was almost unbelievable how much the computer cheated. It pressed the buttons flawlessly, making the energy bar seem like a loading bar of some sort.

When we finally won, we decided to see hyper mode for fun, and it was god awful. We concluded there was no AI in hyper mode, just code for when to press the buttons, by developers who hated kids.

I'm not sure why I wrote this, probably just for fun, but please share your stories on how rigged this game was. I wanted to record it, but my dazzle didn't feel like working.
Do you think this game is rigged, and do you think the people who coded the game hate children?

ForteAnly

I understand your pain. I have recently started playing Stadium immensely since I started my Red version over and bought Blue version recently but my god it seems like the game is nothing but hax all the time. I was playing the Prime Cup Master Ball level with my Mewtwo and he was paralyzed by Thunder wave. Every turn I would get paralyzed not a damn chance to attack. Body slams would always paralyze me in contact and I would get smacked by critical hits all the time in the Gym Leader Castle R-2. I would get frozen by 10% ice beams or blizzards. Wrap and Thunder Wave from Lance's Dragonair was just lame. It's very frustrating sometimes but still fun to play.

Baton Passer

Bzzzzzzzzzzt!
I like to think that the game is rigged.
Very, VERY rigged.

I've Gotten screwd many more times than i can count.
Which means that i base my teams on luck 0 percent of the time.
And yet still get screwd by a freakin ch from a freakin hypno with freakin dream eater and no hypnosis to go with it....

I hate sabrina's guts i really do.

And the mini games?

Foooooorget it.

Dude ur nuts for actually getting it. I salute u.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Ok, there's no doubt in my mind that Pokemon Stadium is rigged. I can agree with that much. But is it really a surprise even to this day? All games like this are rigged so that the player encounters a difficult challenge even when they least expect it. It happens even now. If you've ever challenged the Battle Tower you'll notice how unfair it can be sometimes. I think the best solution to the problem is; just forget it and have as much fun as possible. I don't think there's much else to do. Stadium was meant to be fun so at least give it a few more tries :)

pacifidlogger

gold team rules
Rigged is an under statement. It is totaly nuts. In R2 poke cup my dragonite with agillity and wrap and i lost to a anther dragonite three levels lower. My wrap missed twice yet his blizzard hit twice with the last one being a critical hit. But i will never even bother with hyper mode, i would rather just stick with destroying the easy coms.

BoxedLunch

Rigged is an under statement. It is totaly nuts. In R2 poke cup my dragonite with agillity and wrap and i lost to a anther dragonite three levels lower. My wrap missed twice yet his blizzard hit twice with the last one being a critical hit. But i will never even bother with hyper mode, i would rather just stick with destroying the easy coms.
But in Gen I, Blizzard had 90% accuracy, not 70%. Wrap had, and still has, 85%.

With that being said, though, Pokemon Stadium IS rigged. XD I don't think it's as bad as the second one, though. And, I suppose they have to make up somehow for the fact that AIs aren't really a match for humans. I mean, we learn from our mistakes and employ logic into our actions; AIs do not. You can force an AI into an endless cycle (I like to run an opponent's PP for Earthquake dry for switching in and out a Flying Pokemon ten times in a row, for example), and it won't know any better. They need a bit of a head-start if the game is going to be at all challenging, don't you think? XD

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine

Am I the only one who ever completely beat Stadium 1? R1 and R2? I mean, yeah, it was hard as holy hell, but I did it. (Took me three days, and I had to SPAM my glitched in Mew, Dragonite and Mewtwo. I was 11.) Never liked the secret difficulty on the minigames, though. Always an immense ***-pain. Wish I still had my Stadium 1 cart, but my cousins stole it...so I stole their Stadium 2.

I hear you on that, though dude. It was hell. Glad Stadium 2 is heaps easier. (Though Karen and her Attract SPAMin' Umbreon put the Ki-bosh on my easy wins for a while.)

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
I felt that way the first time through.

Then I started playing it again this year, and I had a fraction of the hax I did last time...

Supa Cheesy

Cheesy Cheese
Santa Claus gave me a rigged game when I was 5 D:
Yea, that game is pretty rigged.
Confusion especially. When I cast confusion, I hear the commentator saying everytime: 'Oops, the attack missed!' But when the AI opponent hits me, it hits every time, and I hit myself 2/3 times.

K.K.

Banned
Yeah... I was 7 when i got this game grom my dad for christmas. The game was buggy at best, I never really bothered with the minigames unless i had my friend over in which case he loved the games..no clue why but he did. >_>
Anyway heres my story of total BSness it was the prime cup final round master i rank think this kids first two pokemon are easily wiped out so he sends out his 3rd which was a mew so i was like ok no big deal
ill hit it with nightshade (i was using a haunter) and do some good damage but it misses OF COURSE IT DID and it hits with blizzard for a one shot K.O. i send out my second and thought i got lucky by scoring a crit with thunderbolt but mew hangs in there with one HP and i couldnt hit it again after that...my alakazam which was carrting swift had already been knocked out by one of his other pokemon and so i get easily wiped out.. WTF -_-
the moral of the story kids dont mess mess with legendaries especially in a game that is COMPTETLY RIGGED in AIs favor

Last edited:

misingnoglic

Yeah... I was 7 when i got this game grom my dad for christmas. The game was buggy at best, I never really bothered with the minigames unless i had my friend over in which case he loved the games..no clue why but he did. >_>
Anyway heres my story of total BSness it was the prime cup final round master i rank think this kids first two pokemon are easily wiped out so he sends out his 3rd which was a mew so i was like ok no big deal
ill hit it with nightshade (i was using a haunter) and do some good damage but it misses OF COURSE IT DID and it hits with blizzard for a one shot K.O. i send out my second and thought i got lucky by scoring a crit with thunderbolt but mew hangs in there with one HP and i couldnt hit it again after that...my alakazam which was carrting swift had already been knocked out by one of his other pokemon and so i get easily wiped out.. WTF -_-
the moral of the story kids dont mess mess with legendaries especially in a game that is COMPTETLY RIGGED in AIs favor

Wow, I'm pretty sure this game is the reason for low self esteem among kids our age :p

K.K.

Banned
Wow, I'm pretty sure this game is the reason for low self esteem among kids our age :p

lolz wouldnt doubt it
ive also had plenty of other experiences like the ones you described above where the AI spams certain attacks as to not give you a turn as if they were just hell bent on trying to frustrate to pint to point of utter madness
i yelled at my tv soooo much lol

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)

Spelling!

Anyway, no way in heck is this game completely rigged. Poke Cup Round 2 Master Ball is still one of my foremost gaming nightmares (I recently beat it fairly easily with a psychic heavy team, thought that was NOT the case the first time), but beating E4 and Prime Cup Round 2 with Smogon UU Pokemon (Bottom tier for the first two gens) has got to move skill up a couple notches on this ladder.

Then again, you wiped up the final Cool Trainer and were using a Haunter, so perhaps I misjudge.

11DBHK

Banned
Spelling!

Anyway, no way in heck is this game completely rigged. Poke Cup Round 2 Master Ball is still one of my foremost gaming nightmares (I recently beat it fairly easily with a psychic heavy team, thought that was NOT the case the first time), but beating E4 and Prime Cup Round 2 with Smogon UU Pokemon (Bottom tier for the first two gens) has got to move skill up a couple notches on this ladder.

Then again, you wiped up the final Cool Trainer and were using a Haunter, so perhaps I misjudge.

of course you know, pinsirius, that in the 1st gen games there was no real counter to psychic types. and thus two new types of pokemon was introduced, the dark type and the steel type

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
of course you know, pinsirius, that in the 1st gen games there was no real counter to psychic types. and thus two new types of pokemon was introduced, the dark type and the steel type

This is also the game where every Psychic sans the Mew family was blessed with some sort of glaring flaw- be it a lack of speed or cardboard defense. They still problematic in bulk, I agree, nor do I deny that this game is hard when not intending to sweep with a psychic-heavy team, that just does not make it impossible if you factor in insane amounts of prediction.

In all seriousness, in a game where a single hit can render a Pokemon nigh impossible to swtich back in, a balanced team and prediction works wonders, even in later Round 2.

I've been trying a simple team of Raichu, Hypno, Charizard, Kingler, Venomoth, and Machamp in Prime Cup Round 2 lately and consistently get at least to the 6th round. I don't think I've won it, but I don't have my N64 on me at the moment, so I can't attempt it again yet.

11DBHK

Banned
This is also the game where every Psychic sans the Mew family was blessed with some sort of glaring flaw- be it a lack of speed or cardboard defense. They still problematic in bulk, I agree, nor do I deny that this game is hard when not intending to sweep with a psychic-heavy team, that just does not make it impossible if you factor in insane amounts of prediction.

In all seriousness, in a game where a single hit can render a Pokemon nigh impossible to swtich back in, a balanced team and prediction works wonders, even in later Round 2.

I've been trying a simple team of Raichu, Hypno, Charizard, Kingler, Venomoth, and Machamp in Prime Cup Round 2 lately and consistently get at least to the 6th round. I don't think I've won it, but I don't have my N64 on me at the moment, so I can't attempt it again yet.

i dont remember what my team was but i do remember i had an alakazam, venomoth, kingler, and dugtrio, i think i cant remember the rest. might've been a pidgeot but i cant be sure
oh, yeah and in case your wonder i'm K.K. too this is my other account

Last edited:

yoyoma724

It took me a LONG time, but I eventually did beat R-2. I was young and cheap, though, so I used Mewtwo in all of Gym Leader Castle and Prime Cup. But the other cups got incredibly hard sometimes anyways. Psychic and Old Man at the end of Pokecup Masterball gave me huuuge problems.

Wow, yeah even unlocking hyper mode in the mini-games took me forever.
At least they were generous with the 8 prize pokemon, plus surfing pikachu.

But if you think this game is cheap, you should see the Japanese Pocket Monster Stadium 1. In the 50-55 cup it's like they know my every move, I can't even beat the first guy. Is PS2 even worse? Darn. I just started it...

Status
Not open for further replies.