• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why isn't there any type of foreshadowing of Brock's new goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilikus

Aqua Boogie
Maybe it has been.I think he could end up a Pokemon doctor.Evidence includes obsession with Nurse Joy's, "Doc Brock" and Happiny.

BlueVapor

Both May and Dawn had their GF losses and their final eps with their rivals where they had to think about what they wanted to do next. We all knew Tracey was going to stay with Oak. Max obviously wasn't going to travel if May wasn't with him.
What about Misty? Her departure was a complete surprise, so, in that case, it's not much of a surprise if we find out Brock's leaving at the last second as well.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
What about Misty? Her departure was a complete surprise, so, in that case, it's not much of a surprise if we find out Brock's leaving at the last second as well.

Well, then I guess the writers feel Misty/Brock aren't important enough to have foreshadowed departures, and their leavings come out of nowhere.

terminoob

The Underdog
Well, then I guess the writers feel Misty/Brock aren't important enough to have foreshadowed departures, and their leavings come out of nowhere.

Considering at this point the most probable goal for Brock is to help out a PokeCenter, they've foreshadowed it since "One Big Happiny Family".

Champion Jared 14

And everyone departs without build up from your posts because they are lies being tried to be passed as facts....Misty>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>brock irrelevant, so deal!

BlueDragonfangirl

remember, this is what we said when Paul was revealed....we thought he would be taking Brock's place but we were wrong there weren't we?

Yes, but we never had any thing about a new dream before.
In either AG or D/P we never had Brock's new dream.
And, I said the ending already. I think the new ending is forshadowing every one's future's.

Manene!

Maybe there's no need for build-up? *shock*

Maybe, just maybe, he discovers his new dream and decide to pursue it in one episode? It's not like they have anything to wrap-up Brock wise...

Surely the fact that Brock does leave at the end of every saga for a different reason is foreshadowing in of itself. Brock has been characterised as having been swayed to pursue new dreams (Prof. Ivy, back to Gym Leader at the start of AG, whatever was between BF and DP). It's just that those dreams never work out as planned, and so he always goes back to Ash. This time, however, his latest dream will probably work out for him.

I guess Brock's kind of like a human version of Ash/Dawn's Ambipom.

Champion Jared 14

Also, Brock never HAD a real goal to begin with, and it was never expanded upon by the writers at all...AND Brock isn't a staple character...He's not like Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket...THEY are the true staple characters...and out of them, BROCK is the only one that has been removed from an entire arc...

Bubblewrap

He would have left the series forever if it wasn't for demand. They didn't take him out for an arc with the intention of bringing him back. Ever since then, he's been in pretty much every single episode apart from a few where he has been sorting out family issues or whatever. Apart from the OI, which was at first going to be the end of Brock, he's a pretty staple character.

Yes he did have a goal. It's just passive. Did Misty have a goal? Yes. It's just passive.

Champion Jared 14

He would have left the series forever if it wasn't for demand.
And it still doesn't change the fact that for a segment of the anime, Brock did NOT exist...And he isn't a staple like Ash, Team Rocket, and Pika.
They didn't take him out for an arc with the intention of bringing him back.
Which would've been the best solution. To axe him after Johto would've been best.
Ever since then, he's been in pretty much every single episode apart from a few where he has been sorting out family issues or whatever.
And that's not fun to watch because he never does anything exciting.
Apart from the OI, which was at first going to be the end of Brock, he's a pretty staple character.
Wrong. If Brock was a staple character, then they would have NEVER EVER replaced him, and have Tracey take his place. But it didn't work because reception to that was very negative. Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket are the ONLY, and I mean ONLY staple characters....They've been in EVERY SINGLE series, but Brock has not. So that alone means he's not a staple character.
Yes he did have a goal. It's just passive.
He never did anything to further this "goal" of his...He got like, one contest in Johto where he gave Vulpix back and that was it...
Did Misty have a goal? Yes. It's just passive.
Yes, and even though the writers were poor back in Johto, they seemed to play with Misty's goals a bit more than his.

KomaXD14

Also, Brock never HAD a real goal to begin with, and it was never expanded upon by the writers at all...AND Brock isn't a staple character...He's not like Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket...THEY are the true staple characters...and out of them, BROCK is the only one that has been removed from an entire arc...

Saying he wanted to become top breeder one day isn't a goal?

Bubblewrap

He never did anything to further this "goal" of his...He got like, one contest in Johto where he gave Vulpix back and that was it...

Yes, and even though the writers were poor back in Johto, they seemed to play with Misty's goals a bit more than his.

Oh the level of bias.

After he came back from Professor Ivy, he has been a staple character. Don't be silly. It doesn't matter if he was gone for about 30 episodes, because he was originally NOT a staple character - but after he came back, he pretty much is.

TrainerOfLegend

Doesn't the ending Lalala To Your Heart foreshadow Brock's departure? Ash looks at a new city with fireworks, Brock looks the opposite way which has no lighting at all. Dawn just looks at Piplup.

Bubblewrap

Yes it could signify his departure, but it doesn't mean he won't come back. It might even just be their personality traits anyway. Willpower - looking at new places. Knowledge - looking into the sky. Emotion - bonding with Pokemon.

BlueDragonfangirl

Doesn't the ending Lalala To Your Heart foreshadow Brock's departure? Ash looks at a new city with fireworks, Brock looks the opposite way which has no lighting at all. Dawn just looks at Piplup.

That's what I was saying, I don't think they've ever done that for an ending before.

Champion Jared 14

Oh the level of bias.

After he came back from Professor Ivy, he has been a staple character. Don't be silly. It doesn't matter if he was gone for about 30 episodes, because he was originally NOT a staple character - but after he came back, he pretty much is.
Well, up until now, all NON staple characters have left the main cast...Misty left...she wasn't staple, Tracey left...he wasn't staple...May left....SHE wasn't staple, Max left...He wasn't staple...Gary left...he wasn't staple...Casey left...she wasn't staple...Brock left, but came back...but he does this every single region...My point is that the ONLY staple characters, Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket never left the show for a period of 40 episodes with the intention of them staying away...and all these depatures and comebacks only hint to me that they are about to stop his comebacks once and for all.

Dame

Well, up until now, all NON staple characters have left the main cast...Misty left...she wasn't staple, Tracey left...he wasn't staple...May left....SHE wasn't staple, Max left...He wasn't staple...Gary left...he wasn't staple...Casey left...she wasn't staple...Brock left, but came back...but he does this every single region...My point is that the ONLY staple characters, Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket never left the show for a period of 40 episodes with the intention of them staying away...and all these depatures and comebacks only hint to me that they are about to stop his comebacks once and for all.

Sorry, but why are you getting so irate over Brock being in the show? He might not be ''exciting'' in your eyes but he might certainly be in other people's views.

Brock is in the anime to serve a PURPOSE. His purpose is to inform Ash of rules/strategies, to be a guide, to cook for the team and to provide comic relief.
If Brock was to leave, who would fulfill these roles? Ash? But then, how would Ash come to gather all this knowledge so quickly on things he previously had no knowledge on, as well as learning to cook etc? Or perhaps a new character introduced in the anime? But then, surely, that character would be ''useless'' as well because they only do the same things that Brock did.

Brock is a staple character now, and he has a role and function in the anime. Why introduce a new character who does all the exact same things when you already have an established character who the audience are familiar with? And we can rule out that he most certainly isn't ''useless'' because none of the roles that he takes on would be completed without him, unless they introduced a new character to take over those roles; but whats the point?

Brock has a purpose in the anime and he serves it well. Just because he's ''useless'' and isn't ''exciting'' in your eyes, doesn't mean that he isn't in other peoples views. You don't know that, yet you consistently stated that he isn't popular. You're trying to make your opinion fact.

And I'll reiterate to what I first said in this post - I really have no idea why you're getting so irate and aggravated over a simple character in an anime show.

TeddiUrsa

There were LOTS of hints this saga concerning Takeshi's new goal. You weren't truely looking because nobody takes poor Takeshi serious anymore.

There a two obvious options:

1) He'll meet the legendary breeding master in the breeding valley and wants to stay with him to practice his breeding skills. Satoshi doesn't want Takeshi to leave but in the end he will let Takeshi decide what he really wants. Tin foil will be involved as well.

2) He will start a career in Pokémon Breeder Ping-pong. In order to fulfill his dreams he has to move to Vermilion City. Of course he hits on Nurse Joi for a last time and gets stabbed by Croagunk after it...what a classic departure.

No, seriously, Takeshi's skills as a Pokémon "doctor" a la Nurse Joi have been portayed not only throughout DP but also in various AG episdes ( the bagon filler near the end of AG comes to mind), so I think it is highly possible that he will stay with a nurse Joy and opens up a Pokémon center somewhere. Happiny would fit this theme nicely as well. It would be a new goal yet it wouldn't be a total departure from his old one.

Champion Jared 14

Sorry, but why are you getting so irate over Brock being in the show?
I'm just confused as to why his "so-called" fans think he'll accomplish his goal by staying with Ash. Do you ever get excited to watch pokemon even though you already know what's gonna happen to Brock? It's called predictability.
He might not be ''exciting'' in your eyes but he might certainly be in other people's views.
You, teddiursa, and bubblewrap seem to be the ONLY forumers I've seen that take him seriously...that's not a lot...
His purpose is to inform Ash of rules/strategies, to be a guide, to cook for the team and to provide comic relief.
We already know what he does, he's done it for 13 years, it's not like anyone doesn't already expect it. You honestly think the writers can write a character that does all of these things just like Brock, and be more interesting?
If Brock was to leave, who would fulfill these roles?
Someone new, new gen boy/girl. It's not impossible. Maybe if you'd stop being so close minded, you'd believe it could be a possibilty, but clearly you don't.
Ash? But then, how would Ash come to gather all this knowledge so quickly on things he previously had no knowledge on, as well as learning to cook etc?
Ash isn't the idiot he was 10 years ago. Unlike Brock, he works to further his goal by battling trainers and collecting badges. He learns something new with every battle, and with every loss. And they don't need Brock to cook or survive. Tracey didn't cook for Ash and Misty, and they survived, so this argument FAILS.
Or perhaps a new character introduced in the anime
Yes.
But then, surely, that character would be ''useless'' as well because they only do the same things that Brock did.
You don't know that. You're just saying that because you don't want to think of him as "useless".
Brock is a staple character now, and he has a role and function in the anime.
No he's not, and I already proved this wrong. I won't repeat myself. So deal with it.
Why introduce a new character who does all the exact same things when you already have an established character who the audience are familiar with? And we can rule out that he most certainly isn't ''useless'' because none of the roles that he takes on would be completed without him, unless they introduced a new character to take over those roles; but whats the point?
The point is, a new character would provide a fresh face for the anime...Brock has been exhausted in his role, and there's absolutely nothing new that he can offer to his few "fans" or any newer audiences watching pokemon. It's better to finally get rid of him forever.
Brock has a purpose in the anime and he serves it well.
And you explained it so well. Give yourself a round of applause!
Just because he's ''useless'' and isn't ''exciting'' in your eyes, doesn't mean that he isn't in other peoples views.
So you admit that he's useless? This sounds like a contradiction.
You don't know that, yet you consistently stated that he isn't popular. You're trying to make your opinion fact.
I never said or did that...I just said he's useless...i'm gonna stop right there. You're done.
There were LOTS of hints this saga concerning Takeshi's new goal. You weren't truely looking because nobody takes poor Takeshi serious anymore.

There a two obvious options:

1) He'll meet the legendary breeding master in the breeding valley and wants to stay with him to practice his breeding skills. Satoshi doesn't want Takeshi to leave but in the end he will let Takeshi decide what he really wants. Tin foil will be involved as well.

2) He will start a career in Pokémon Breeder Ping-pong. In order to fulfill his dreams he has to move to Vermilion City. Of course he hits on Nurse Joi for a last time and gets stabbed by Croagunk after it...what a classic departure.

No, seriously, Takeshi's skills as a Pokémon "doctor" a la Nurse Joi have been portayed not only throughout DP but also in various AG episdes ( the bagon filler near the end of AG comes to mind), so I think it is highly possible that he will stay with a nurse Joy and opens up a Pokémon center somewhere. Happiny would fit this theme nicely as well. It would be a new goal yet it wouldn't be a total departure from his old one.
Most likely, Brock won't get to really polish these "areas of expertise" if he keeps following ten year olds all over the world, and Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.