1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why so much screentime for Infernape? Did Ash realised his outhers pokemons?

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by drl, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pepsi_Plunge

Pepsi_Plunge Dojyaaa~~aan

It ended Ash-kid but he will use it against Paul but the i cant control thingie as ended.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. Waterpokes

Waterpokes Well-Known Member

Didn't get so much screentime in the other episodes?
    What are you smoking? Pretty much the whole Paul-Ash rivalry are centered around Chimchar.

Chimchar has probably been feactured the most of Ash's Pokemon, except for Pikachu, but you can't count Pikachu because it's always outside.

Chimchar-line has fought in Maylene's Gym, Fantina's Gym, Byron's Gym, Candice's Gym and Volkner's Gym. That's 5 Gyms, more then anybody else. Also used in Roark's Gym, with Paul as trainer, which is 6 Gyms. And being the Star in 3 of them!

Pikachu: Roark's Gym, Wake's Gym, Fantina's Gym, Volkner's Gym = 0 Star
    Buizel: Maylene's Gym, Wake's Gym, Fantina's Gym, Byron's Gym = 2 Stars
    Torterra: Roark's Gym, Gardenia's Gym, Wake's Gym, Candice's Gym, Volkner's Gym = 1 Star
    Chimchar: Roark's Gym, Maylene's Gym, Fantina's Gym, Byron's Gym, Candice's Gym, Volkner's Gym = 3 Star
    Staraptor: Gardenia's Gym, Maylene's Gym, Candice's Gym = 0 Star
    Aipom: Roark's Gym, Gardenia's Gym = 1 Star
    Gliscor: Byron's Gym, Candice's Gym = 1 Star

Is it really much point to give Infernape so much screentime? Ash has had 8 Pokemon in this Saga, and when Infernape gets 3 Stars and probably the League centered around it, how can you deny that it hasn't gotten much screentime? They could have made it 1 each. Kinda like this:

Roark: Turtwig
    Gardenia: Aipom
    Maylene: Buizel
    Wake: Pikachu
    Fantina: Chimchar
    Byron: Gliscor
    Candice: Staraptor
    Volkner: Gible

1 Star for everybody. But now, they had to make Pikachu, Staraptor and Gible look like crap. And I hate, if Staraptor in the future get's so much praise in the future for doing nothing:

"Staraptor ruled in Sinnoh! Better then Pidgeot and Swellow!!!!"

I would hate to see that. Because I want to see Staraptor earn a good reputation, instead of being overrated. Somebody is already saying it's good and better then Pidgeot and Swellow, for doing what? Nothing almost. And I like Staraptor, so they should make it do something, so I can actually agree with some people.

But let's not forget, that they almost never give any of the Main Cast's Pokemon chance to star against some random dude/girl/Pokemon. Only in some tournaments, which takes 4 episodes, without progressing them moving on. They should make more Pikachu VS Raichu battles instead. One episode and then move on.

Also including the whole Blaze thing, Tag Tournament and the upcoming League, which is 99,99999999999999999999% that it will be center of everything!

Now that I realise it, Staraptor and Pikachu hasn't Star'd in any battle yet, while Aipom even got one Star.

3. streetlightdsb

streetlightdsb Uni hiatus

I agree that the gym starring could have been a little bit more spread out. Though I don't think Gible really deserves a star even now. He'll probably star againt someone in the league. I would have been quite happy with:

Roark: Turtwig
    Gardenia: Aipom
    Maylene:Buizel
    Wake:Buizel
    Fantina:Chimchar
    Byron:Gliscor
    Candice:Staraptor
    Volkner: Pikachu

Buizel starring twice is ok because it didn't actually get one straight win against Maylene.

About Staraptor: It took down Maylene's Meditite and Machoke, beat Honchkrow in the Pokeringer, beat Candice's Medicham and Paul's Weavile( the only one of Ash's Pokemon to beat one of Pauls unaided. I'd put beating Weavile as about equal to starring in a Gym as IMO Paul's Pokemon> Gym Pokemon. Anyway, those put it miles ahead over Ash's Pigeot, whose most impressive win is a wild Fearow. (Side note- talking of overrated, Pigeot is easily Ash's most overrated.)

Swellow has a higher list of wins, but Staraptor hasn't had a league yet. Personally, I see Staraptor as having the potential to overtake Swellow, if only because it's moveset is miles better, but we'll see after the league.

4. Dax

Dax R.I.P Dax

You keep pointing this idea that Ash's Staraptor hasn't done anything but when people tell you what it does then you say people are overrating it. I have a feeling the problem is you underrating what Staraptor has done instead of people overrating it.

It wasn't the star of any gym but at least but it had great performances in the ones it participated in. It's been the only pokemon so far in Ash's team that hasn't been used as a punching bag in a gym, something Torterra, Pikachu, Buizel, Gliscor and even Infernape ( back when it was a Chimchar) suffered from.

Plus let's not forget that so far it has has been the only pokemon with Infernape to prove it can go toe to toe with one of Paul's pokemon and even surpass their strength.

And when it comes to Pidgeot... Staraptor, Swellow and Noctowl (if it get some wins at the League) will be better than it. Why? Because Pidgeot did almost nothing, it didn't even participate in the league. Most of the praise it gets comes from nostalgia and being fully evolved (which it's stupid because it never proved itself like Swellow and Staraptor did once they evolved).

5. BirdStaraptor

BirdStaraptor Sinnoh Master

there is a league after one month and there every pokemon will get more screentime!

if you ask me, Staraptor became a new Pedgeot/Noctowl!, looking for TR or popping the ballon.

6. Almighty Zard

Almighty Zard He has returned.

staraptor is the second strongest sinnoh pokemon Ash has, I don't care what anyone says it's right behind Infernape on the power scale.

7. streetlightdsb

streetlightdsb Uni hiatus

Agreed. People say Torterra after Infernape, but if you think about it, it hasn't actually done very much to prove it's power since evolving yet.

8. thunderblade12

thunderblade12 Well-Known Member

Beating a gym leader's over-hyped pokemon isn't the neverending spring of strength. Staraptor is the only one that defeated one of Paul's pokemon without any help. I'd say that's FAR more impressive considering the short work Paul makes of said gym leaders. Please, no (unsupported) "Weavile is Paul's weakest" arguments. That's just a cop-out. Weavile has been confirmed to be on Paul's team since before Sinnoh. Anyone who believes Paul would keep an unreliable pokemon around for 2+ regions hasn't been paying much attention to Paul's character. Besides, the only other battle we have to compare to is vs Cynthia's Garchomp. Which is so ridiculous it shouldn't even count.

Not to mention Staraptor probably would have defeated Honchkrow (undeniably one of Paul's best pokemon) as well. It definitely gained the upper hand upon evolving.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  9. Dax

Dax R.I.P Dax

I actually find Torterra's situation interesting. At the beginning, when it was a Turtwig it seemed to have a massive strength, always performed well and once it evolved everything changed. I imagine the the speed factor could be blamed for it but it's one of those pokemon that progressively got worse instead of better.

It's such a good pokemon though...and so dang small for a Torterra. :eek:

But all flying types do that... Pidgeotto, Noctowl, Swellow, Staraptor and even Togekiss in the Meowth episode. It's a role flying types get in general. At least the latest flying types get to do more than pursuing a balloon and popping it.

10. Waterpokes

Actually, as streetlightdsb said, Chimchar just took the credit from Staravia, Pikachu and Buizel. All three of them lost to Ursaring, while it managed to defeat, after it took out three. So technically, Staraptor is the only who has done something.

Maybe your true after all, but it seems like for somebody like Staraptor, it isn't enough. It seems like, when Staraptor does have the chance to battle, like with Torterra during the Tag Tournament, Torterra beat Croagunk and Farfetch'd easily, and making Staravia look like crap. Also against Candice, it loses, and once again Chimchar is the star. Maybe it's just because Staravia evolved too late, or maybe they just love Infernape. The last opinion is probably the truth.

And that's something that sucks with this current league. During Johto, both his Kanto and Johto team was bad, and they redeemed the Kanto ones. In Hoenn, it was two Pokemon who was bad, and they got redemption. Now, with his Sinnoh Team, pretty much everybody has been more the less shafted, at least for a while. Buizel, Torterra, Gible, Pikachu and Staraptor has all been doing nothing, for a long time. And the League is the perfect chance to redeem them, but as I said before, the chances are less with so many returning.

I know. Pidgeot is easily the most overrated Pokemon ever, only based on evolution. But still, it's loved by so many and people believe it should be on Ash's Strongest Team. But either way, I want it back to actually redeem itself.

11. thunderblade12

The League will probably focus mainly on the Sinnoh pokemon with each reserve only getting slipped into one battle each. Like the Battle Frontier.

Charizard
    Snorlax
    Tauros
    Donphan
    Squirtle
    Bulbasaur
    Heracross

Seven were bought back in the Battle Frontier saga. The AG team weren't shafted because of this. Ash should have around seven opponents in the League. Around three of which being full battles (if we're lucky, four.) There shouldn't be a problem here.

And the value meter for what makes a pokemon "strong" seems to be broken due to bias. Buizel is called weak despite starring in a TWO gyms and getting a rather impressive win in a third for not having consistent strength. Starapator defeated at least one pokemon in every gym it was in. It was more or less the semi-star of the Maylene gym battle by taking out two of Maylene's pokemon. Chimchar didn't take out any which, IIRC, waterpokes used as an opportunity to call it weak.

So either way, Infernape and the Sinnoh saga in general is going to "suck" to Waterpokes. Let's say Infernape is treated like Torkoal was in the Hoenn League until the Ash vs Paul battle. That'll no doubt opt him calling Infernape weak again.

12. Torpoleon

Torpoleon Well-Known Member

Maybe the writers want Infernape to get stronger and stronger for the Ash VS Paul Battle in the Sinnoh League. I actually like that Infernape is getting loads of screentime. Pikachu will be with Ash forever, so keep that in mind.

13. WarriorX

WarriorX Active Member

I like Infernape, but I want the others to get screentime too. Torterra needs wins badly, as do Gible and Buizel. I'm not worried about Staraptor, as it proved itself to be strong during the Full Battle.

14. Dax

Dax R.I.P Dax

Well Ash kept the promise of evolving Cyndaquil.

Cross yo’ fingers and butt cheeks he might get Pidgeot back before he dies!

Maybe.

15. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. RetiredPokemonMaster

I think and hope the league will give Buizel, Staraptor, and especially Torterra some hard fought wins to show there tough. Infernape is indeed getting most screen time but maybe they wanted to make up for there usual neglect of fire starter's final form's. Typhlosion is still the rarest fire starter and Blaziken is not far behind him. I'm sure in the league they'll all get there time, but there's no reason to hate on Infernape it's a great Pokemon.

16. Waterpokes

I'm not saying Sinnoh sucks. The problem, from where I see it, is that they make them appear either strong or weak in the beginning. Let's look at Buizel.

Buizel appears, and beats Glameow, Piplup and Pikachu. That's three very strong Pokemon, and then later catched by Dawn. It battles Bronzong, and it loses. Does that make him weak? No, it doesn't.

Then it defeats Lucario, and then it defeats Floatzel. Is it good? Yes. Two of Gym Leaders strongest Pokemon gets defeated, and that has to be something.
    Then we meet Fantina, where it eventually loses to Drifblim, Fantina's strongest, am I right? Does that make him weak? No, and it did an impressive battle to, at least Gengar.

Then it meets Byron and Steelix, and right off the bat, Wrap and Screech makes Buizel lose. Does that make him weak? Consider the way he just managed to be beaten so easily, makes him look weak, even though it seems like he would have had the most experience, after defeating two Gym Leader's Main.

And then we have Buizel being left out from Candice, and Volkner. Makes sense, and then we have the Ursaring battle. That battle could have been Staravia's, Pikachu's, Buizel's or in our case, Chimchar. Also the case against Flint, is that it should have done a better battle, in my opinion that part of the match was LOL! Even though Flint is from the Elite Four, one Flare Blitz and Buizel is pretty much dead.

The problem is, as you can see, is how Buizel goes from strong, to being defeated rather easily. They don't balance it. Take Pikachu from excample: Been rather weak in Sinnoh, right? We barely see it doing any stuff, an suddenly, it manages to take several hits from Flint's Infernape, compared to the others. Chimchar has been pretty much balanced in my opinion. Also, when they lose, they lose badly. Make it more believable after what they had gone through.

Either way, Sinnoh to me, hasn't been bad really. I just want to see more battles. Random battles against random people, I don't care. And not saying Infernape is weak, but simply overrated. It has done stuff, and we all know it, but were they really that great? Was it that great when it defeated Ursaring? Was it that great when it defeated Jolteon? Really?

And I had low hopes for the Grand Festival, because I found Dawn's Contest journey boring, but look how that turned out? The Grand Festival was over average, because I found it great, for the most part. I have high hopes for the Sinnoh League, because I want to see his Sinnoh Team, be good. I don't care if Buizel or Gible lose, if they make the battle good and put up a decent fight. That's one of the reason why I hate Ash VS Byron. Because they didn't really put in an effort to make it good, or great, like the previous Gym Battle.

And I pretty much enjoy the last part of the region. Because the good stuff are coming!

17. thunderblade12

I'd say Buizel did the most damage against Ursaring and Magmortar though. It took multiple hits and was still going. The anime has always been inconsistent with every character's strength. It's nothing new and it's probably something that'll never change. Infernape lost just as easily against Flint as Buizel did, but then Torterra actually held it's own against Bertha. So does that mean Torterra's stronger than those two? Then why did it lose so quickly against Volkner while Infernape took down two of his pokemon? Type advantage is an excuse I expect to hear, but shouldn't the fact that Bertha's an Elite 4 member and Volkner's only a gym leader neutralize that "advantage" a bit?

And it's not just Sinnoh either, every saga's been like this.

- Squirtle being OHKOed by Blaine's Ninetales but then taking down a Thunderbolting Starmie.
    - Pikachu in general
    - Torkoal's only victories in the Hoenn League being a grass pokemon and drawing with a second grass pokemon but then nearly defeating a legendary
    - As a Snorunt it lost to some of Juan's weaker pokemon without a single win (neutral typing) but then as a Glalie it defeats a Charizard (type disadvantage) and a Metang (type disadvantage) that's owned by a trainer that must have earned at least 8 badges.

The biggest and best example though:

- Charizard defeating THREE of Gary's pokemon, having a 4X disadvantage against Golem and a 2X disadvantage against Blastoise only to lose to Harrison's Blaziken (who it actually had a type advantage against.) It didn't take out a single pokemon in that battle either so it's not like Charizard was tired. Even if it was tired from it's previous battle with Gary, why wasn't Bayleef? Bayleef actually managed to defeat a pokemon it had a disadvantage against in that battle. Are we really expected to believe Harrison's THAT much stronger than Gary? Well if so why weren't the rest of his pokemon that great. Kecleon was defeated by Pikachu quickly, Hypno didn't last long against Snorlax even after Dream Eating, Sneasle was defeated by Totodile of all things, Houndoom lost to a pokemon it had a type advantage against, and Steelix only beat a pokemon it had a massive advantage against, Noctowl.

I'm not saying Charizard is weak or any of these pokemon. I'm just saying that there is no consistency with the pokemon's power. If they wanted Snorlax to lose to a Feebas and Totodile defeat a Raikou in the Sinnoh League it could happen.

18. Encyclopika

Encyclopika The Queen

I think someone already mentioned, but we don't care for hate threads here. :)

//CLOSED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.