1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why so Prissy?

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé & Manga Discussion' started by ParaChomp, Nov 13, 2012.

?

Does someone confusing something for anime and manga upset you?

1. Yes, they should know better

24.0%
  2. No, the fans should learn to let go

76.0%
  1. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

"Then it's not anime, stupid." "It's not manga, dumb***!"

This is why I refuse to use those terms anymore and just refer to them as cartoons and comics. Someone makes a mistake, big whoop, it happens. Gently correct them and let it slide. Why do so many people get all in a huff when someone makes a simple mistake like when they refer to Avatar: the Last Airbender for a Japanese cartoon or Dramacon for a Japanese comic? I don't understand why such gives some people so much pointless anger. Sure, these are common mistakes but come on...

EDIT: Whoa! That "and" in the thread question should be "or" but oh well, it still works and the point still gets across easily.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. Jolteon91

Jolteon91 iDOLM@STER Fanboy

It's not a hard concept to understand, was it made in Japan? If yes, then it's an anime or a manga, if no it's not.

3. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

TBH, you have to be pretty stupid to call something that is not a manga, a manga. I mean, there's no getting them mixed up.

4. Charizard Champion#06

Charizard Champion#06 Spiral Warrior

It's not hard to determine what's anime and manga and what isn't.

The ones who get upset when people correct others on the matter should take a hard look at themselves tbh.

5. TotalPotato

TotalPotato Vegetable of Doom!

I don't get upset over mistakes like that. I identify them as errors, but I don't think it's worth ridiculing the person who made the mistake or anything. In the case of something stylistically similar like Avatar, I can see where the mistake could come from.

Hmm... you think? What about Korean comics, also known as manhwa? Would you forgive someone mistaking them for manga? I don't think that's a stupid error, because again, there are stylistic similarities.

6. xerxes

xerxes ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ

i'm more bothered by people who overreact and ridicule others who are clearly not as much into anime/manga as they are. anime essentially are cartoons and you're just using the phrase to sound less childish in the first place.

7. Jolteon91

Jolteon91 iDOLM@STER Fanboy

Anime fans aren't the only ones who use the term anime.
    Which has a clearly defined anime section, is using the term to sound less childish?
    [img139]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-o8vbRIS8Kvo/T28KJWvjMNI/AAAAAAAAASE/SoDtDjYKakE/s1600/DSCF1025.JPG[/img139]

Also the plural of anime is anime, there is no s.

EDIT: I just noticed how terrible that picture is, stupid iPhone cut half of it off so didn't see it.

8. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

Maybe, fair enough. I personally mean people who get the confused with American comics. You kinda have to go out of your way to get those mixed up.
    What is this even.

9. matt0044

matt0044 Well-Known Member

I think it's because they see "Anime and Manga: more mature and artful" while "Comics and Cartoons: immature and silly" based on what they were exposed to. Sadly, the internet doesn't come with a much needed dopeslap for these mindsets.

10. xerxes

xerxes ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ

derp, thanks. i was never really sure about how it's written correctly in plural since i've seen it in all possible variations. >_>

but yes, i AM aware that there is a difference between the two terms and think that people should know what it is. what i don't support is bashing others because of it which is unfortunately quite common and what makes it worse is that they're being complete jackasses over animations that were made in japan. it's really like arguing what's the difference between pokémon and digimon. hell, maybe if someone else saw my mistake first i would have to eat **** for saying "animes."

so much for stores knowing the difference lol. :rolleyes:

11. TotalPotato

TotalPotato Vegetable of Doom!

Ahaha, that's hilarious! Even shops make these mistakes! I love how it says "One of the most popular anime", too!

Well, if something like that can happen, it's even easier to see how people might get the wrong idea about what an anime is.

12. Kaiserin

Kaiserin please wake up...

I do believe anime and manga has evolved into its own sub-genre of animation, and 2D works created in Japan to that effect should probably be classified as such wherever possible.

But I can't say I get upset over it, and I can't help but roll my eyes when I see someone getting their panties in a twist when some poor soul refers to Naruto as a "cartoon," or the Bleach manga as a "comic" or "graphic novel"... you get the idea.

13. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

0__0

That disturbingly looks a lot like one of my friends...

Anyways, glad to see this thread's going well. You know my opinion and I'm glad the majority so far shares my opinion with me.

14. The Admiral

The Admiral solid state survivor

My opinion is that, while I understand not wanting people to confuse Eastern and Western animation... people really could stand to not be such dicks about it. Granted, this goes for a lot of things, but when people snap about how Avatar: The Last Airbender or its sequel, they make themselves and, let's be honest, all to a lot of anime fans look like immature bastards who are over-invested in a dumb hobby.

15. matt0044

Why not call Manga Graphic Novels?

16. Vernikova

Vernikova Champion

I don't care. Everyone knows what they mean anyway.

If someone makes a mistake, one person is enough to correct them. We don't need three or four consecutive posts saying the same thing.

17. Because you want to make it clear what type of graphic novel you mean? And what if you read manga serialised?

18. matt0044

Okay "Japanese Graphic Novels that were probably or not serialized in a Magazine."

19. And that's why we just say 'manga'.

20. matt0044

Speaking of which, people get pissed over the mispronouncing of Manga.