• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why so Prissy?

Does someone confusing something for anime and manga upset you?

• Total voters

Zazie

So 1991
Speaking of which, people get pissed over the mispronouncing of Manga.

I call them magnas. And I call anime Japanimation.

I don't really care if someone mislabels something as anime. The Japanese call it all anime anyway. Making a big fuss about it just makes you look like a massive nerd. (for some reason reason people want to look like massive nerd nowadays, so take it however you want)

Jb

Tsun in the streets
In regards to the asked question. I can see how sometimes it could get annoying seeing fans correct people all the time. On the other hand, why should fans let people be wrong? When you're in school and get a question wrong on a test, the teacher doesn't just "let it go."

Vernikova

Champion
In regards to the asked question. I can see how sometimes it could get annoying seeing fans correct people all the time. On the other hand, why should fans let people be wrong? When you're in school and get a question wrong on a test, the teacher doesn't just "let it go."

Four or five people aren't repeating that the person was wrong every time though.

Kimchu

Onward!

But that largely depends on how people go about correcting them, as well as the kind of person claiming it as a cartoon/comic. If a person mistakes an anime for a cartoon or vice-versa without knowing better and the fans start bombarding him with hate for that, then the fans are the bad guys. However, if the person who mistakes an anime for a cartoon starts mocking the fans for watching something "kiddy," then it's understandable that the fans would retaliate for their show (although badmouthing is a bad way to go about it.)

There's a big difference between:

Person: What's this cartoon called?
Fan: It's an ANIME, dumbass. Learn the difference.
Person: Jeez sorry.

and

Person: haha omg this is so kiddy! why would anyone watch these sh*tty cartoons?
Person: rlly now? Cuz all I see is sh*t
*initiate flame war*

Of course, the second example is obviously a troll, but I digress.

Is it annoying when people mistake anime/manga for cartoons/comics? Yes, if they're spouting it as a fact. No, if they're obviously new to this and don't know any better.

Is it wrong to correct them? Of course not. Just don't act like a jerk when doing it. If both sides are civil about it, then there shouldn't be any problems (yes yes, I know the day when that happens on the Internet is the day when hell freezes over, but I'm just saying, if people want to correct each other, then that's the best possible way to go about it.)

But if all else fails and the person just won't get it (like example #2), THEN the fans can ignore him and move on. It's better to stop arguing than continuing with a pointless flame war, I'd say.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I call them magnas. And I call anime Japanimation.

I don't really care if someone mislabels something as anime. The Japanese call it all anime anyway. Making a big fuss about it just makes you look like a massive nerd. (for some reason reason people want to look like massive nerd nowadays, so take it however you want)
I blame the Big Bang Theory.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
There's a big difference between:

Person: What's this cartoon called?
Person: Jeez sorry.

and

Person: haha omg this is so kiddy! why would anyone watch these sh*tty cartoons?
Person: rlly now? Cuz all I see is sh*t
*initiate flame war*

There's also a difference between:

and

Fan: It's called anime actually, since it's originally from Japan.

Anger isn't the only response. Some fans are civilized. I certainly agree with you, that being civil is the best option. The ones who DO get legitimately upset about it can be ridiculed of course.
People shouldn't assume others who are just correcting people on the matter are angry and then make a thread about it

ParaChomp

be your own guru
The thought was on my mind so why not create a thread about it?

Wow, interesting poll values.

Vernikova

Champion
What if were Japanese-American? does that mean everything is Half-Anime?

No . [IMG139]http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae279/Survive_Vent/Chibi%20Page/Hakumen_Chibi.png[/IMG139]

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Funny thing happened today in class. Some people were doing a presentation (one of them being one of the 'tards I mentioned in the Jojo thread. She spent the rest of the class browsing dA for My Little Pony icons for her Mac laptop instead of paying attention... ANYWAY).

Their presentation was on Disney's Mulan and they called it an anime. Before I could even open my mouth, three other of my non-anime watching friends reacted with "a what?!" and criticized them for not knowing the difference.

So yeah, it goes both ways.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
What if were Japanese-American? does that mean everything is Half-Anime?

...Nationality doesn't really have anything to do with it. It's more about how the term is used in English, as well as the nuances it carries if you're looking to split hairs. Japan obviously has a different meaning and usage for it because it's their term originally, we just adopted it and shaped the meaning to match our perceptions.