1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why Steel type has so many resistances?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Pokemon Strategy Guy, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Why do you think Steel has so many resistances?

My theory is that they wanted to balance out other types by giving them a type that's resistant to their moves.

For example types like Dragon had so few types that resisted Dragon moves so Steel is made to resist it? And Steel is a strong metal so they may have thought it suited having lots of resistances but its unbalanced how many Resistances it has compared to other types.

I plan on writing about this in my Pokemon Strategy blog when I see what some people think, my Pokemon blog can be viewed by clicking on this link: http://pokemonstrategyguy.t15.org/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. Endolise

Endolise TengenToppaBoogaloo

Because the Dragon-type was broken in Gen 1, and it needed to be not broken in later Gens. Hence the Steel-type being resistant to Dragon and just about anything else Dragon-types can use except for Fire, Fighting and Ground.

Also, steel itself is very durable by nature.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Eldritch Abomination

Steel itself is pretty resistant, so the type having lots of resistances makes sense.

The opposite is valid for Ice, a type that have lots of weaknesses. Ice is naturally a frail "material".

4. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

Steel-based objects are usually hard to break, twist, tore, mold, knead and else. That's why steel type has so many resistences. If you consider the real nature of steels in our world, then fire and water should have another effectiveness. Fire should be not very effective because steels have high melting point, then they resist to fire. And water should be super effective because steels get weak when they oxidize. Also, it doesn't make much sense in my view why fighting is super effective against steel type. A person that trains usually beat punchbags and they're not made of hard stuff, if it were, the person would hurt and even broken its hand. Anyways, I'm used to the type matchups and I like it on the way it is set, even some of advantages and resistances don't make sense.