• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

why this isn't a reboot

Do you think Pokemon Best Wishes is a reboot?

• yes

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • no

Votes: 39 83.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teshub

Banned
This is a reboot, all the new things compared to the other regions, plus as i said before a reboot doesn't mean Kanto N0.2. It means it's starting fresh. The fact that Ash still knows Oak is redunant. Of course he knows him he's not going to foget somebody important like Oak, it's a reboot in terms he is starting a new adventure and lots of things have changed.

Not changed exactly. Instead of the new series trying to be different from the previous ones, they are deliberately and blatantly imitating the first one. Therefore its not an re-volution, but a re-boot.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
The anime itself told you this is a new beginning/reboot. No need to try to spin this also.

[IMG139]http://i56.*******.com/2v2fx4p.jpg[/IMG139]

You are aware that they do that at the end of every series. They did this at the end of the Original Series, and same with AG192.

Not changed exactly. Instead of the new series trying to be different from the previous ones, they are deliberately and blatantly imitating the first one. Therefore its not an re-volution, but a re-boot.

It's not a reboot. I feel like I am talking to 3-year olds. Look up Batman noobs. That is an example of a reboot, same location: Gotham City, same protagonist(s) Batman, and same villians: Joker, 2-Face, etc. Isshu: location: Isshu, not Kanto, same protagonists: Ash. Iris & Dent are the other 2 protagonists, while it was Misty & Brock in Kanto, Same Villians: Jessie-James-Meowth.---> There are the same villians from Kanto as well but 1/3 doesn't make it a reboot.

Last edited:

Isis-sama

That is not the definition of a reboot is. A "series reboot" is when an established series drops all continuity, then starts over in a new universe with no connection to the previous series but with the same character concepts as before in order to tell new stories.

For example: The 1989 movie Batman is not the same Batman as in the Dark Knight, the character in the latest Freddy movie is not the same Freddy as in all the ones that came before, the hero of the planned Spider-Man reboot will not be the same one as the first three movies, and on and on and on.

There may be some cosmetic changes, but the main character is the same Ash with the same past, even if he doesn't always remember it. This is not a reboot by a long shot.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
^ Exactly the way i see it this is the whole Pokemon series no.2. Old, original characters being replaces, i don't think we will see Oak as much, but we will se Araragi more this season, it would be cool if all of Ash's Pokemon were transfered to Araragi's lab(Wait do other professors have there own place for trainers Pokemon to run about) but it wont happen. So basically i think all of the old characters will be replaced (Shooti the new garry not paul) by the new ones. But the old ones wont be forgotten.

might

Banned
It is a reboot and the Best wishes series will not have old Pokemon in it,the 5 gen will only have new Isshu Pokemon not old ones.

It is a new reboot and the BW series won't have anything to do with the past series before it.

BCVM22

It is a new reboot and the BW series won't have anything to do with the past series before it.

Except for where it's still very much in continuity with the umpty-dump sagas that occurred before it, meaning it's not actually a reboot in the factual definition of the word, which in turn means this whole thread is basically people arguing semantics in the least intelligent fashion possible.

Kids, listen up: as fiction goes, a reboot is generally defined as actually throwing out everything that happened previously and completely starting anew. Not "starting anew but everything that once happened still happened", actually completely starting over. Comic books do it all the time. Every other week, it seems.

Batman Begins is a reboot: it completely ignores the four previous Batman films and starts over completely. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a reboot where the anime is concerned: it completely ignores the first anime and starts anew, following the manga more or less verbatum. Countless other anime and manga series have done reboots into new and separate continuities, which, again, involves completely ignoring any previous events and stories and starting completely over from scratch. Best Wishes is not doing that at all. Everything that's happened in the anime in the last 13 years still happened, is still valid, is still canon, is still in continuity.

Best Wishes is not a reboot, at least not per the factual definition. You can call it a reboot in your respective minds if you want, but that's semantics at best and just plain inaccurate otherwise.

Best Wishes is nothing more and nothing less than what Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh were: Ash starting a new quest in a new region. It's no more of a "reboot" than Hoenn or Sinnoh were. It's somewhat more of a "reboot" than Johto was, since he took both members of his supporting cast and all of his Pokémon with him, but still, the point remains none of those are reboots - that's starting a new story arc. Nothing more, nothing less.

There. I just saved the rest of you schmuckdog millionaires from any further mindless arguing and pissing matches. Go outside or read a book or something.

might

Banned
Reboot can also mean a lot of things and i will have to go check on it,but wether you like it or not,the Best Wishes series is a reboot and that is because the writers decide to redesing Ash and Team Rocket,so it is a reboot, Hoenn and Sinnoh were never reboots because they had old Pokemon in those regions,The writers wanting to start the Best Wishes series fresh without having anything to do with the past series like Hoenn and Sinnoh,they are starting the Isshu series just like they started the Kanto series when it was new,there will only be new 5 gen pokemon not old ones.

You going to have to understand that the Best Wishes series is a new reboot of Pokemon anime series,Hoenn and Sinnoh don't count as reboots since they still had the old style of the first pokemon original series and Team Rocket was still in their old Kanto outfits,the Isshu region is about all new 5 gen pokemon only and the Isshu Pokemon are not related to the Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon,The Best Wishes series is the first new reboot of the show and it will be about new 5 gen Pokemon not old ones,the old Pokemon will most likely not reappear at all in the Best Wishes series and there won't be any old Pokemon in the 5 Gen since it is about all new Isshu Pokemon.

Last edited:

BCVM22

Again, you're arguing semantics and claiming your personal definition of "reboot" to be accurate and relevant when it is in fact neither.

Best Wishes does not reset the continuity, does not ignore thirteen years of previous tales and does nothing else associated with a true reboot. What Pokémon are appearing or not has no bearing whatsoever.

You can attempt to continue to wrongly argue the semantics of this point if you insist, but I really would advise against it.

might

Banned
Well you are the one that is wrong,there isn't any reason for you to argue when you know you are wrong.

The Best Wishes series is a reboot and it don't need to reset the continuity,the Isshu Pokemon are not related to the Hoenn and Sinnoh pokemon,the Best Wishes series does count as a reboot since it is about new 5 gen pokemon and not the old pokemon,the old pokemon will most likely not reappear in the Isshu region.

BCVM22

Well you are the one that is wrong,there isn't any reason for you to argue when you know you are wrong.

Boy, you've sure convinced me.

The Best Wishes series is a reboot and it don't need to reset the continuity

Except that to be a reboot in the truest (and, you know, accurate) sense of the word, it does. And BW does not.

the Isshu Pokemon are not related to the Hoenn and Sinnoh pokemon,the Best Wishes series does count as a reboot since it is about new 5 gen pokemon and not the old pokemon,the old pokemon will most likely not reappear in the Isshu region.

And again, you're putting an inordinate amount of value on a wholly irrelevant factor in what Pokémon do or do not appear. And even better, that factor is dictated by Black and White, which have no past Pokémon found in the wild until later on. Despite that, Black and White are not reboots of the game series: certain past characters make appearances and old Pokémon eventually become far less uncommon. If that factor alone doesn't make the source material - the games - a true reboot, how can you possibly claim it makes their adaptation - the anime - a true reboot?

You're fighting a flawed battle based on nothing more than semantics. If you prefer to tell yourself that Best Wishes is truly a reboot, go ahead. Just remember that by the truest definition of the word as it generally pertains to serialized fiction, it is not. It's that simple.

If your preference is to ignore that fact and keep claiming a completely irrelevant factor as your best and sole argument while continuing to be unable to back that up with nothing more than "you're wrong so stop arguing", then feel free. I can play this game for as long as you can.

Last edited:

phantasystar69

reboot means the show would discard much or even all previous continuity in the series and start a new with fresh idea. So, ash getting the same team set up- pikachu plus starters/bird/wildcard- not a new idea. Team rocket being here- not a new idea. Traveling with new people- not a new idea. No one knows for certain that we will never see the original pokemon again, so hopefully if he catches reserves we can see if they are sent to oak. I think it is just going back to element of kanto with moving at a fast pace, traveling with two gym leaders, and ash being a little over excited at times.

Noticable reboots- batman begins and the new friday the 13th.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Team rocket finally changing - New

Jessie and Joy - New

No other old Pokemon to be found in this region - New

No Brock - New

Ash capturing 5 Pokemon before 8 episodes - New

This is a reboot, in all of it's glory.

Last edited:

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
as far as an actually reboot goes, this isnt one,

that being said this is probably the closest thing we are gonna get to a reboot for quite a while.

might

Banned
Bcvm22,you are the one that is losing the battle,you are wrong,because the Black & White games are a reboot as well,you don't want to admit that the Best Wishes series is a reboot which it really is and deal with it,because you are not going to win and you better stop arguing i mean it.

King Gyrados,everyone is not saying that and it is your opinions,you have to deal with the fact that the BW series is a reboot and nothing you say or do is going to change that.

Paipr Christian,you or living in a made up world,the Best Wishes series does count as a reboot and deal with it.

The Best Wishes series is entirely a brand new reboot series,the Isshu region will only have nothing more but new 5 gen pokemon and there will not be any old pokemon appearing in the Isshu region,Ash will only have Isshu region pokemon and he will most likely not use old pokemon again,until the writers decide if he use old pokemon again are not.

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Can't the people who want it to be reboot just call it one and the people who don't not call it one? Lets leave it at that and move on.

RickHoenn

Banned
I think it's not a reboot BUT it's certainly more fresh than Johto, Hoenn & Sinnoh were.

Ash, Pikachu, Oak, Delia (obvious haha), Team Rocket are still here. reboot & redux are not the same.

king gyrados

Bcvm22,you are the one that is losing the battle,you are wrong,because the Black & White games are a reboot as well,you don't want to admit that the Best Wishes series is a reboot which it really is and deal with it,because you are not going to win and you better stop arguing i mean it.

King Gyrados,everyone is not saying that and it is your opinions,you have to deal with the fact that the BW series is a reboot and nothing you say or do is going to change that.Paipr Christian,you or living in a made up world,the Best Wishes series does count as a reboot and deal with it.

The Best Wishes series is entirely a brand new reboot series,the Isshu region will only have nothing more but new 5 gen pokemon and there will not be any old pokemon appearing in the Isshu region,Ash will only have Isshu region pokemon and he will most likely not use old pokemon again,until the writers decide if he use old pokemon again are not.

When I said everyone I meant the people who were saying that it wasn't a reboot. Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.