• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

why this isn't a reboot

Do you think Pokemon Best Wishes is a reboot?

• yes

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • no

Votes: 39 83.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZgonDuck

Like A Boss
If this was a reboot, then that means that Ash never went through any other regions, he never caught any other Pokemon, and he doesn't know how to battle. All of those things are false, and anyone basing this off the first 10 episodes is a lunatic. I swear, some people have the memories of goldfishes, this exact same thing happened at the start of every other saga, this isn't late DP anymore, where old Pokemon exist. This is the beginning of a saga, where your lucky to even hear mention of old Pokemon. If this was a true reboot, we would never have any indication Ash could battle, we would see Ash not know how to do anything, and we would have awful battles and pity badges up the ying yang.

If BW is a reboot because "Ash's travel companions are Gym Leaders", then DP was a reboot since it was "Ash's regional girl was a Coordinator". BW will do things better and do things worse, just like AG did, and just like DP did. It'll take a little of each saga and improve on it, just like AG did, and just like DP did. Foresight people, use it, learn it, own it.

might

Banned
Oh! My mistake.

But the truth is people need to deal with the fact that the Best Wishes series is really a reboot.

ZgonDuck,that is your opinion,the DP series was never a reboot and the same for the AG series it wasn't a reboot either,the BW series does count as a whole new reboot and the Isshu region is a far away region it will only have new 5 gen pokemon,there will not be any old pokemon in the Isshu region and it should not be hard for anyone to understand that.

Last edited:

MasterJedi

Coral Eye Trainer
Oh! My mistake.

But the truth is people need to deal with the fact that the Best Wishes series is really a reboot.

People like you are why Pokemon has a bad name. Little kids (or those who act like little kids) and just say what they think is right and everyone else is wrong. It's why I've consider about 90% of fans idiots. Welcome to the fandumb!!!

It isn't a reboot, the continuity still holds. Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn, Battle Frontier and Sinnoh happened before Isshu. Ash still knows Professor Oak, he still has all his old Pokemon there (as Oak said he'd take care of Ash's Pokemon while he's in Isshu). Ash isn't a new trainer, game, set, match. You lose might.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Bcvm22,you are the one that is losing the battle,you are wrong,because the Black & White games are a reboot as well,you don't want to admit that the Best Wishes series is a reboot which it really is and deal with it,because you are not going to win and you better stop arguing i mean it.

King Gyrados,everyone is not saying that and it is your opinions,you have to deal with the fact that the BW series is a reboot and nothing you say or do is going to change that.

Paipr Christian,you or living in a made up world,the Best Wishes series does count as a reboot and deal with it.

The Best Wishes series is entirely a brand new reboot series,the Isshu region will only have nothing more but new 5 gen pokemon and there will not be any old pokemon appearing in the Isshu region,Ash will only have Isshu region pokemon and he will most likely not use old pokemon again,until the writers decide if he use old pokemon again are not.

while yes the anime is based in the isshu region that does not normally have pokemon from other regions. let me point out in the game post e4 older pokemon can be seen. and also in the anime, old pokemon have been seen. pikachu and meowth, and we have heard reference to umbreon in the series. and yes pikachu and meowth are mascots, and yes umbreon wasnt actually seen.

a true reboot would have everything new, not just certain parts. i agree with calling this a re-tooling. they have changed some big things, but still left certain parts familar.

might

Banned
Well people do have their opinions on wether or not it should be call a reboot are not,but they did change a lot of things like Ash and Team Rocket being redesing for the BW series.

Bubblewrap

If this was a reboot, then that means that Ash never went through any other regions, he never caught any other Pokemon, and he doesn't know how to battle. All of those things are false, and anyone basing this off the first 10 episodes is a lunatic. I swear, some people have the memories of goldfishes, this exact same thing happened at the start of every other saga, this isn't late DP anymore, where old Pokemon exist. This is the beginning of a saga, where your lucky to even hear mention of old Pokemon. If this was a true reboot, we would never have any indication Ash could battle, we would see Ash not know how to do anything, and we would have awful battles and pity badges up the ying yang.

If BW is a reboot because "Ash's travel companions are Gym Leaders", then DP was a reboot since it was "Ash's regional girl was a Coordinator". BW will do things better and do things worse, just like AG did, and just like DP did. It'll take a little of each saga and improve on it, just like AG did, and just like DP did. Foresight people, use it, learn it, own it.

This. Seriously. It's 11 ish episodes in. In about half a year we'll probably see old characters/old pokemon appearing. It's not like nobody is ever going to be seen again. I mean, this is to advertise the new games (Ok, I know pokemon like Nuzleaf and Ludicolo were shown early sinnoh), but you get the point. As they are really trying to advertise, don't be so quick to say nobody/no pokemon will ever come back. I doubt they've written people like Gary/Brock/Dawn forever.

arbokfan

100% Arbok
It's more recycling than reboot; taking the best elements of previous sagas and reusing them in the newest one. In all honesty if it was a true reboot of the Kanto saga Pikachu wouldn't know Volt-Tackle and Ash wouldn't know anything about Team Rocket, Gyms, Pokemon Leagues, etc.

My opinion. It's not a reboot.

KyuubiKityune

lieks mudkipz
Well people do have their opinions on wether or not it should be call a reboot are not,but they did change a lot of things like Ash and Team Rocket being redesing for the BW series.

Seriously, you're being a hypocrite.
First you say that this is a reboot despite you having no real arguments to back it up, and everyone who thinks otherwise is being ignorant and stupid and then you suddenly change your mind and say it's an opinion? What?

Also changing some minor things doesn't make it a reboot. Things such as redesigns are sometimes necessary to keep the artstyle fresh, or to show that some things have changed like TR having new outfits, which doesn't mean "They have changed COMPLETELY!" but more like "Take them seriously now!".
And there being no old pokemon (Pikachu is still there) isn't because they retconned everything before, but because it's Isshu and people don't want too see the old ones anyway. And you have no proof that some older Pokemon like Charizard, Sceptile or Infernape will never appear.

yeah everyone said that already...

team rocket4ever

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
*sigh*

Does it even matter whether or not Best Wishes is a reboot? All I know for sure is that the aim of BW is to cater to new fans of the anime, so basically, they changed all the things that actually matter, like the new serious Team Rocket.

So basically, it is a reboot in terms of new Pokemon, new and changed characters, and Ash being 10 years old again (WTF?!?!?), but at the same time, it isn't a reboot because of the presence of Ash and Pikachu. Satisfied? Yes? Good. No? Too frickin' bad, I'm not about to cater to whiners.

Teshub

Banned
*sigh*

Does it even matter whether or not Best Wishes is a reboot? All I know for sure is that the aim of BW is to cater to new fans of the anime, so basically, they changed all the things that actually matter, like the new serious Team Rocket.

So basically, it is a reboot in terms of new Pokemon, new and changed characters, and Ash being 10 years old again (WTF?!?!?), but at the same time, it isn't a reboot because of the presence of Ash and Pikachu. Satisfied? Yes? Good. No? Too frickin' bad, I'm not about to cater to whiners.

I love how you whined the whole post but then said you don't cater to whiners.

Anyway you people are not seeing the forest for the trees, it seems. Don't be to literal about the meaning of reboot when you can easily identify what it means in this situation. It's reimagining the series almost as if it were starting from scratch again. The key word here is almost. Jut like the games are starting back to Route 1, they don't need to reinvent the pokeball again, only press rewind and give it a new paint job.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Teshub, I don't feel like I was whining. "Whining" implies there was no rational thought behind this. My thought process was that I was sickened by the arguing over whether BW was a reboot and tried to explain it in a way that made both sides happy to a certain extent. But I don't want to start a fight, so let's say we agree and leave it at this.

Last edited:

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.

Oh gosh that explains everything!!!!!!:eek: Care to elaborate because just posting a pic with a circle pointing at a trophy, doll, and certificates isn't exactly informative. I think you are pointing at the fact that old stuff is present, so its not a reboot, which I agree but explain it to the other people who think it's a reboot.

Mr.Brightside

You will evolve too!
Ash will only have Isshu region pokemon and he will most likely not use old pokemon again,until the writers decide if he use old pokemon again are not.

Pikachu says hi!

The point is that you do not understand the meaning of the word "reboot". A change in clothes means nothing and the fact that there are different Pokemon in Isshun means nothing as well. It is just a different region where other Pokemon species live. I do not understand how that count as a reboot especially, as other logical members have already stated, all of Ash's past is still there.

Oh well, i guess when Cynthia makes her appearance you will wake up ;)

phantasystar69

batman begins was a reboot because it once again showed the origin of how he became batman, the same with the new nightmare on elm street.

As someone stated above, in order for this to be a reboot, ash would have never been to any other region or have battled any gym leaders at all or caught any pokemon in other regions. He also wouldn't have known anyone from other regions. I understand people are entitled to their own opinion, but all the people that say it is a reboot jump down your throat when you say ash will evolve his team fully or get in the top four or better in the league.

gliscor&yanmega

I don't see this as a reboot myself.

To me a reboot means everything that has happened from the pass pretty much never happened. The show has already address the fact that Ash has Pokemon that he has gotten before, so that's enough for me not to see this as a reboot.

Plus the first episode showed a bunch of stuff Ash had gotten from past regions, so obviously the events happened and haven't been ignored. Minor or not, they are more then enough to show that this isn't a reboot in my eyes.

So what if Team Rocket got a new look(Including their personality), taking in what happened prior to that, Giovanni seemed impressed with them from hearing the news that they had a hand in taking down team Galactic.

So what if old Pokemon wont appear much or at all in the anime any time soon. It has been understood that the region being far means that it's not a native place for Kanto Pokemon and the rest of them. And since it was mentioned in the anime that Pokemon from Kanto and that are rare to come by in Isshu that shows that there are in fact other Pokemon. Also take into consideration that Ash says he comes from Kanto and I think he mentioned he traveled through the other regions as well, it would imply he has already seen other Pokemon and would also imply he has traveled already.

If anything, Best Wishes is just doing what every region does and takes stuff from past regions and makes it it's own as well as has stuff that hasn't happened in the past regions.

If it was really a reboot, then I would have expected to have a new main character and pretty much no characters from the past would show. Basically, it would be Shooti as the main character for example, and he goes about doing what Ash did and tries to be a Pokemon Master. And that didn't happen so I see no rebooting in this other then starting on a new land that's far away from before.

charmander04

Reboot (fiction)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The term reboot, in media dealing with serial fiction, means to discard much or even all previous continuity in the series and start a new with fresh ideas.[1] Effectively, all established fictive history is declared by the writer(s) to be null and void, or at least irrelevant to the new storyline, and the series starts over as if brand-new.[1]
~
So yeah, I have to agree with everyone saying this isn't a reboot. They haven't discarded the previous continuity, the most notable examples being how Team Rocket mentions their Pokemon and Ash still has his Soothe Bells, Focus Band, wooden Teddiursa, etc. If it was to be a reboot, they'd have to have removed all references to previous events. And as for all your comments like "its a reboot because there's no old Pokemon", "Brock is gone" or "Team Rocket, Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, etc. look different after 13 years", these don't support this at all! First of all, Pikachu and Meowth are there, and its only been 8 episodes in! We'll probably see at least some more old Pokemon by the time BW is over! Secondly, so what if Brock is gone? Sure I liked him, but he's been a part of the series for 12.5 of the 13 years of the show! People have gotten tired of him, and he's not exactly necessary like Ash and Team Rocket are. Finally, so what if characters have new clothes and different appearances? When Ash changed clothes in Hoenn, nobody called it a reboot, same with Sinnoh, and the only reason Joy/Jenny changed appearance was to show how different Isshu is from other regions. So yeah, definitely not a reboot.

Rant. Over.

Sayho1234

I think that some people in this thread want Best Wishes to be a reboot, but in reality it's just yet another arc of this long-running anime.

Last edited:

BlueVapor

People need to stop saying that just because Brock left, it's a reboot. Brock leaving now is no different then when Misty left way back when.

And as for a reboot, BW is certainly NOT one. Why? Ash, Team Rocket, Pikachu, Oak and Delia exc. have all showed up. If it was a real reboot, none of them would have.

This leads me to wonder why everyone says, all of Ash's old Pokemon and all of Ash's old traveling comapnions won't ever show up again. I just don't understand the logic behind it.

Oak, Delia and Giovanni have all showed up, characters from past sagas, what's stoopiing the writers from showing, oh, say, Dawn? Nothing, but people just want to assume everything and everyone from past series is gone, when it isn't.

In short, BW is not a reboot, and any Pokemon of Ash's or traveling companion of Ash's has a chance to appear due to the whole "it's not a reboot" fact.

/rant/complaining

magicallypuzzled

every one arguing that best wishes is a reboot has no idea what a reboot is and it shows. restricting what pokemon are going to show in a series is not a reboot giving people new looks even drastic new looks like these is not a reboot. returning to what people found attractive in kanto is not a reboot in all cases best wishes isn't a reboot and every one claiming it is is using a inaccurate definition of the word reboot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.