• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why was Alola exempt from big screens?

D

Deleted member 384931

Maybe it is difficult to make a movie of two about four islands? I mean they had many potential with wormholes and alternative dimensions.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Maybe it is difficult to make a movie of two about four islands? I mean they had many potential with wormholes and alternative dimensions.
They sort of did a movie about wormholes a la Hoopa’s rings and that ended in a total mess of a movie. The Legendaries that appeared were implied to be from other dimensions given Arceus and Lugia weren’t using telepathy and didn’t recognize Ash or Pikachu.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

Alola's number of islands wouldn't be a factor at all.

Movies always take place in anime-only locations. They could just create one on the four existing islands. And lots of movies just take place in a single town, anyway.

Also, there's nothing stopping them from creating a special fifth island that only appears in the movie and nowhere else.

D

Deleted member 384931

Alola's number of islands wouldn't be a factor at all.

Movies always take place in anime-only locations. They could just create one on the four existing islands. And lots of movies just take place in a single town, anyway.

Also, there's nothing stopping them from creating a special fifth island that only appears in the movie and nowhere else.
True, it was only a suggestion

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
They sort of did a movie about wormholes a la Hoopa’s rings and that ended in a total mess of a movie. The Legendaries that appeared were implied to be from other dimensions given Arceus and Lugia weren’t using telepathy and didn’t recognize Ash or Pikachu.
Arceus wasn't from another dimension, and Ash recognized the Eon duo, Lugia, as well as Arceus - whether it was from familiarity or just because he knows the species is up to each viewer, and I like to think his interactions with Lugia and the Eon duo was due to them being the same ones from their respective movies

I never got the impression that Hoopa's rings brought pokémon from other dimensions, rather it's just grabbing them from somewhere else on the planet

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I'd have very much preferred to see ICY!Ash meet Mewtwo without having to drag Brock and Misty along to be dead weight

Use the other trainers who got called instead
Hell use Shigeru and blue from Pokemon let go pikachu and eevee.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Feels like they gave Blue Green's role from Pokémon Origin, where they meet Mewtwo and get trounced, then Red catches it

Except this time Kakeru/Ayumi got there first

I don't buy the whole "Blue's a clone" theory
Ai-two never meant to be a blue clone crap. That was ....shozz999 's idea

Peter Harrison

Because the Alloa Anime is terrible and is poorly written, in my opinion.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't mind the Mewtwo movie rehash too much since it feels appropriate given that LG P/E are the latest games, but I do feel like some originality would be nice at this stage and that we could've gotten a remixed version of the first movie with the SM cast added in as a retcon.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I just assumed the writers wanted to try something new. With the last 3 gens, they’ve been doing reboots, trying out different things, art styles, etc...so it only makes sense to shake up the formula when it comes to movies too.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I just assumed the writers wanted to try something new. With the last 3 gens, they’ve been doing reboots, trying out different things, art styles, etc...so it only makes sense to shake up the formula when it comes to movies too.
Especially considering that the XY movies did not sell very well. They decided that the traditional movie formula was no longer profitable so they decided to do something new with a reboot movie series and a CGI remake of the first movie.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Especially considering that the XY movies did not sell very well. They decided that the traditional movie formula was no longer profitable so they decided to do something new with a reboot movie series and a CGI remake of the first movie.
I think it was the Hoopa movie that totally killed off the traditional formula. The Magearna tried hard to recover from the damage that its predecessor caused but it was too late.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think it was the Hoopa movie that totally killed off the traditional formula. The Magearna tried hard to recover from the damage that its predecessor caused but it was too late.
You're right. The Hoopa movie outright replaced Heroes as the worst performing Pokemon movie at the Japanese box office. Because of this, they decided to change how movies work. We'll have to wait and see what they decide to do with the Gen 8 movies.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I just want another movie that actually focuses on Ho-oh. The first reboot movie is horribly misleading and I just can’t enjoy it. At least with Hoopa I can sort of enjoy seeing all the Legendary Pokémon.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:
I just want another movie that actually focuses on Ho-oh. The first reboot movie is horribly misleading and I just can’t enjoy it. At least with Hoopa I can sort of enjoy seeing all the Legendary Pokémon.

One of my biggest issues with the 20th movie was the fact that even though Houou appeared and had a big role, the movie wasn't canon, so its appearance seemed pointless in the grand scheme of things. It wasn't as big of a tease as Mew transforming into Houou in the 8th movie, but it still felt disappointing.