• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why was G-chomp added to Ubers!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemon Master
I've used garchomp for the majority of my time w/ D/P, and just found out that he's an uber! What gives?

PhantomSoul

The Phantasmal Lord
Can't believe you actually did it. But seriously your breaking a lot of rules by postig this here. Go post this thread in the general pokemon discussion area or something like that.

Just to answer your question Garchomp was used too much thats why it was placed in ubers.

Last edited:

Digital Love

Jew 'Fro's Graduate
So liek one day Garchomp wuz liek "Hey u guyz, why am i's so gewds?" and peeps wur lieks "idk chomp, you da man" so now he's an uber

PokeCrossbow

Pokemon Hunter
So liek one day Garchomp wuz liek "Hey u guyz, why am i's so gewds?" and peeps wur lieks "idk chomp, you da man" so now he's an uber

Lol, thats a funny post xD

I'm not big fan of chomp but ya as lucazard said, hard to have a counter icey things for chomp ;]

Caesar

F.E.A.R the rat
he was moved mainly because of the yache berry set. he became very hard to counter and was considered overcentralising, thus he is now uber, so is deoxy s if ya didn't know

Just to answer your question Garchomp was used too much thats why it was placed in ubers.

i don't think you quite understand how the tiers work. Ou is standard, uber is the ou ban list (not ou pokemon used most. uu is the "weaker" tier, bl serves as both a uu ban list and a hang out for the pokemon not quite good enough for ou

TogeticTheRuler

There are NO usable counters.

Anything that comes close to a counter *******ises the pokemon so much that it loses most/all of its usefulness against anything other then garchomp. A good example is SUICUNE.

Lucazard

Spoof Man™
i don't think you quite understand how the tiers work. Ou is standard, uber is the ou ban list (not ou pokemon used most. uu is the "weaker" tier, bl serves as both a uu ban list and a hang out for the pokemon not quite good enough for ou

This is what i thought of the tiers, OU are pokemon that get over used, UU are pokemon that are under used, BL are pokemon on the border line where they are half half and UBER are too strong pokemon and all those other reasons, this is what Smogon says

TogeticTheRuler

OU is another name for standard play. UU are for pokemon are inferior to standard pokemon to the point. BL is when an UU breaks UU and moves up, or a former OU pokemon gets very little usage so it's moved down

Blue Ace

Pokemon is Dead
Tier decisions based off raw usage alone is still pretty stupid really.

Blue Ace

Pokemon is Dead
The fact that there is are tiers for über and BL suggests that it's not based wholly on usage.

Ubers is the only exception.

BL is double being both a ban list for UU and a place where low usage OU go.

Last edited:

Ballade

Ultimate Destoryer
Ubers is the only exception.

BL is double being both a ban list for UU and a place where low usage OU go.

Not really. The tier list is for how powerful pokemon are. Whilst the names are the frequency, the placement is the power. Powerful pokemon like Infernape and Weavile are placed in the OU because they're powerful, thus they're over used. BL is for weaker pokemon that mop the floor with their competition in the UU, but are too weak in this or that aspect to stand in the OU. It could be because of their move pool, their base stats, or their ability and typing in combination with their move pool and base stats.

Blue Ace

Pokemon is Dead
Not really. The tier list is for how powerful pokemon are. Whilst the names are the frequency, the placement is the power. .

Oh how I wish this was true, sadly it's not the case.

Smogon tier list is about the usage before anything else, if it gets high usage its OU, low usage is UU, pokes that are too strong for UU are BL, and OU pokes that aren't used as much regardless of how good they are are BL.

One could say usefulness is reflected in usage, which is what Smogon believes is absolute, though that really shouldnt be all there is to it.

For example Donphan is clearly not OU, but since it gets high usage they put it there, despite the fact that it's not that good really. As a wall Hippowdon beats it, as a spinner it's outclassed by many others and weak to Toxic Spikes, as a sweeper it is outclassed by Rhyperior.

Same with Tentacruel, all it really does is counter MixApe, Rapid Spin and set up T-Spikes, outside of that it doesn't do much if anything else. The poison typing doesn't allow it to come in on ground types like other bulky waters can or the ever so common Earthquake, it's special attack is far too low to pose a threat to anything, and it can't recover without giving up what it can do best. Yet it's OU because of usage.

Which brings us to a problem, for example if everyone started using Spinda, despite the fact that it sucks, but gets a gigantic boost in usage, then it would be OU.

Last edited:

DarkRidley

Deals and Issues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Kl1jzlazw

This is why Garchomp is uber.

Seriously, I thought the move was wrong too, but still, I don't know why we can't just ignore Smogon's judgement for once. I mean, it's not like they made Pokemon. There's a lot to thank them for, but nevertheless, Garchomp shouldn't be Uber in many people's opinions, and basing it entirely on usage is silly. Serebii should really break away from Smogon.

ForteXXX

Call me…… Ilforte~!!
Liek, omg, I freaking CANT stop laughing, that was freaking hilarious, you get 4 1/2 stars and 3 cookies ^_^

This is why Garchomp is uber.

Seriously, I thought the move was wrong too, but still, I don't know why we can't just ignore Smogon's judgement for once. I mean, it's not like they made Pokemon. There's a lot to thank them for, but nevertheless, Garchomp shouldn't be Uber in many people's opinions, and basing it entirely on usage is silly. Serebii should really break away from Smogon.
Tru dat! Although I never was a fan of chomp ><; the video was weird, I don't think smogon is that arrogant, but how would I know, I don't go on smogon anymore >_>

Chomp is Uber because… People used him too much. It's as simple as Chomp got used TOO much so he's Uber, Weezing didn't get used ENOUGH not he's UU. I don't think that people didn't expect him, I mean if you didn't expect chomp you deserved to lose, so if you expect him every team should've had a Chomp counter. I mean, in G/S/C EVERY team had a Snorlax counter, Lax was close but never got banned to Ubers, and whoever didn't have a Lax counter lost.

So Chomp shouldn't be uber, Smogon needs to lose some credibility and, if not Serebii, somebody else needs to make a different tier list.

Last edited:

Blue Ace

Pokemon is Dead
People are being mislead here, usage isn't what makes pokemon Ubers, and it certainly isn't the reason Garchomp was deemed Uber. Usage only applies to every other tier.

Garchomp was banned because he was incredibly powerful and virtually un counterable, it's as simple as that.

EDIT: Salavoir wanted to say something, though lag is getting the best of him apparently.

Salavoir55 said:
LOL! And at first I was wondering why this thread was five stars. That video is hilarious. Wrong but hilarious. I'd rate it five stars but can't access the thread.

If I remember right, Smogon did plenty of testing with Garchomp. In fact, I believe it was the first to go on their Suspect ladder. In other words, it was not based on usage this time; it was based on brokenness and overcentralization (mostly because of the Yache set + Sand Veil as mentioned above).

As for breaking with Smogon, as long as those listed on the Certified List + those drop-ins from Smogon keep comming here D/P/Pt CRMT isn't going to break from it anytime soon. They still have our respect.

However, as said before the video is incorrect. First of all, Serebii should be indebted to Smogon for lifting CRMT out of the dust and bringing it the definitely better spot it is today. The reason why Serebii has gotten better is because of Smogoners comming here and rating teams. Although some of them have gone (especially magtrio), they have left their knowledge here.

I myself have never joined Smogon. I did lurk around there at one point, but I never joined it. A good chunk of what I've learned has been from the visiting Smogon raters and those here who learned from them. Serebii has gotten better and is still getting better because visiting Smogon raters those and we who've learned from them are here rating teams.

Secondly, the regulars here have and never will accept what Smogon says as law. Remember the Wobbuffett fiasco? Not one of us accepted Wobbuffett as being OU. We all knew and said that it was going to go back to uber, and it did. Even now there are certain things we disagree on (i.e., some of their EV spreads), but you know what? Smogon is working on it! It just takes time.

Finally, if Serebii ever tried to break from Smogon, you can be sure that the regulars and learned ones of CRMT won't let that happen easily. We listen to what Smogon says for the most part and will continue to rate teams according to them until they lose our respect, which isn't likely to happen anytime soon. We may bash Smogon here or there, but we still know that it is the place for competitive battling and that most of the flaws we find in it will be fixed in good time.

Regardless of what I just said though, that video is awesome! I watched it without sound, and I could barely keep from really "laughing out loud." I wonder what one of the Somgon staff would say about it?

Also, as for anything I've said about Smogon, a lot of it is hearsay because I was very inactive when Garchomp was made uber, so I'd appreciate a confirmation/correction from someone who knew.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.